Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

why is it so hard to find a battery?

So I needed to replace at least one of the batteries on my 06. It is Sunday. I figured between Sears, Wal-Mart and O'Reilly someone would have a battery. I figured I would replace one today, then try and get a nicer AGM style battery later in the summer to replace the other.

No dice.

The OEM Interstate battery is 1000MCA, 800 CCA. Highest I could find in town was a 675, 500. What gives?

And while we are on the subject, since I have to wait for an Interstate dealer to open on Monday, what battery suggestions do people have?

I have always had good luck with AC/Delco, Motorcraft and Die Hard batteries. Don't know if Motorcraft makes a marine battery though. Every one I had, even marine, have lasted more than 10 years. My AC/Delco that just failed in my Winner boat was 13 years old. This is an overpowered 14 ft. runabout that gets pounded in the ocean every summer and the battery stood up to it.

I have always had good luck with AC/Delco, Motorcraft and Die Hard batteries. Don't know if Motorcraft makes a marine battery though. Every one I had, even marine, have lasted more than 10 years. My AC/Delco that just failed in my Winner boat was 13 years old. This is an overpowered 14 ft. runabout that gets pounded in the ocean every summer and the battery stood up to it.

i use a marine battery from costco. cant' beat the price, and if it dies or you have any issue they replace it now questions asked, and it has a 3 or 5 year warranty. i replaced both of mine last year, and kept them in the boat all winter, without a charger, gave em a quick charge few weeks ago and bam started right up.

:plus1: AC/Delco :guns:

Interstate makes a great battery, imho. A 24XHD would be a good fit for you.

Don't worry about MCA, it's just testing the battery at a different temperature. Compare everything at CCA, and an 800 would be a target.

On a side note, the days are fast coming where ski/wakeboard boats are going to need to be plugged in, or have a solar panel trickle charger installed when ever the boat is not used. We use battery tenders (and battery tender jr's) which work great on a trailer, but does any use (have experience with) a solar trickle charger for boats on a lift or in the water?

Thanks,

Peter

On a side note, the days are fast coming where ski/wakeboard boats are going to need to be plugged in, or have a solar panel trickle charger installed when ever the boat is not used. We use battery tenders (and battery tender jr's) which work great on a trailer, but does any use (have experience with) a solar trickle charger for boats on a lift or in the water?

what's the reasoning behind the trickle charger?

• quiescent current (key off current) in the boats increasing because of more 'keep alive' circuitry in the new rigs?
  • are the batteries changing?
  • something else the government feels the need to regulate?

So I needed to replace at least one of the batteries on my 06. It is Sunday. I figured between Sears, Wal-Mart and O'Reilly someone would have a battery. I figured I would replace one today, then try and get a nicer AGM style battery later in the summer to replace the other.

No dice.

The OEM Interstate battery is 1000MCA, 800 CCA. Highest I could find in town was a 675, 500. What gives?

And while we are on the subject, since I have to wait for an Interstate dealer to open on Monday, what battery suggestions do people have?

It’s Monday now but kind of late at night. You should have better luck on Tuesday. :biggrin: