Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vapor Lock?

I have on 04 lxi with the Hammerhead 380. I have been out twice so far this year and have had vapor lock type symptoms both times. Boat runs great, shut down for a while and when I try to start it it runs really rough then shuts off and wont run. Sit for 10-15 minutes with the motor cover open and then it starts up and runs great again. I filled the tank last November and added Stabil(red). I never had this problem last year. Is it the gas? I have read on here that a cold towel on the fuel pump helps.

I only ran the boat about 15 minutes today then it sat for probably an hour or two.It only does it when it sits a while otherwise it runs fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by JPSkier

I would think cooling down the fuel rails verses the fuel pump would help alleviate a vapor lock problem more readily. I say this for two logical reasons. 1) The fuel pump sits very low in the engine room where it is closer to the air flow and cooler, and the fuel rails sit on top of the hot engine. 2) Keying up the engine will cause the fuel pump to run for two seconds pushing any vapor out through the pressure regulator, were as the fuel rails (especially the left rail) is a dead head leaving the vapor no where to go, even on key up. Cranking the engine would cause the injectors to pulse open venting any vapor out of the rails.

One thing I would do if I had vapor lock problems is listen to the fuel pump on key up during normal operation so I would have a sound to compare to a possible vapor locked fuel pump. If the two sounds are a like, that would tell me it is not at the fuel pump.

Hope this can help you.

There are a lot of threads here & on the other TMC site talking about vapor lock & what we have done to get over it, ie; fuel line insulation kit from skidim.com, running the blower more often, buying gas that doesn't have ethanol in it, etc.