Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Issues with first time out

I took my '07 wakesetter out for the first time this season and noticed several things that we never noticed last year when we bought it. Since this is the first time getting a boat out of winter storage I would like to know if these are normal and will just go away after a couple times out or if we should have it looked at. We had our boat winterized at the malibu dealer where they said that they flushed all of the fluids and that it was ready to go without needing anything else done.

Issues:

1. There was a sheen in the water that was coming off the boat in the back. Pretty thick like there was oil or fuel coming out. Oil pressure and fuel level stayed normal through several surf runs though.

2. There was a pretty frothy liquid that was in the bilge area near the driver's seat that had a slight red tint to it. Last year we never really needed to run the bilge and this time it was pumping out a significant amount. (and yes, the plugs were in)

Please let me know if I'm overreacting or if I should be concerned. Thanks!

I would be concerned. Sometimes, despite their best intentions, when they are draining the fluids they don't get the clamps tightened all the way. Regardless, if the bilge is going the whole time, something isn't right. Just my 2 cents.

Sometimes if you have a loose hose it won't show a leak at rest or at idle, but will start spraying things down once the rpms come up. If you have someone that you can trust to drive the boat while you look in the engine compartment, check it that way. It's also possible that you've got a leaky ballast pump or fitting, but it sounds like an awful lot of water for something like that. If the engine/tranny check out with no leaks, start looking at all of the through-hull plug fittings for leaks.

I'm guessing that the sheen is from residue in the bilge, at least that would be my first thought based on your description of the issue. If you can get whatever leak under control first, then clean the bilge out really good, you can go from there. You can buy bilge cleaner at almost any marine store. I like to put a little water in the bilge along with the bilge cleaner at the end of the day at the lake, then drive it home like that. The action from driving agitates things enough that it will clean things up nicely. Empty it at a spray off car wash & then rinse it out really good, you'll be good to go.

If you do all of that & still have a sheen behind the boat, then at least you'll have a better starting point to work with.