Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Single Axle Trailler

CumminsBu

Today I fixed something that has been bugging me. I have an Extreme single axle trailer.

You will notice the tire almost rubs the back of the fender. Even though the tire never hits the fender, I never want it to happen. Plus, it doesn't look good.

P5223083.jpg

Tools needed:

15/16" socket

15/16" wrench

5/8" socket

1/2" racket and breaker bar

torque wrench

jack

hammer and block of wood

prybar

scrib

P5223098.jpg

First, hook trailer to a tow vehicle and block the other wheels. :whistle:

Jack the wheel into the air, remove the wheel and if you want the brake caliber, but not needed.

With the 15/16" wrench and 15/16" socket breaker bar, loosen the bolt that clamps the torsion arm to the axle.

P5223092.jpg

Take a scrib and clean the groves that are visble. Also, clean the paint off the axle shaft to exspose the dimple marking on the face of the axle. The dimple should aline to the torsion arm spilt in the clamp.

P5223094.jpg

Before prying the arm off, have an idea of how far you want to move it. I moved mine 4 splines. Pry the torsion arm off with a prybar.

P5223095.jpg

Clean the axle shaft and torsion arm. Coat axle shaft with antiseize.

P5223096.jpg

Place the torsion arm back onto the axle shaft, clocked to the postion you want it.

With a block of wood and a hammer, push the tortion arm onto the axle shaft.

Re-install torsion arm clamp bolt and torque to 120ftlbs.

Prime and paint bare metal.

Reinstall brake caliber and wheel. Lower, if wheel is not center in the fender start over and clock the torsion more.

P5223085.jpg

By adjusting tortion arm position, it will change spring rate of the axle. I am not worried about it because the tire flexes more than the axle.

Edited by CumminsBu

It's pretty bad that they gave it to you that way. It would have bugged me as well, although I wouldn't have known I could have fixed it without using a torch and welder.

Interesting post.

Very nice job. I love this kind of stuff.

1. Another good trailer modification for those that have too much sway in their trailer. Increase the tongue weight by moving the boat forward on the trailer or by moving the axle back. I was able to move my axle back such that my boat follows my GMC Duramax around the tightest curves with no drama.

2.You can help this by moving the winch stand forward.

3. Make sure your trailer bunk extends to the rear of your boat so that the transom is fully supported by the bunks.

4. Step up your safety margin by using a higher load capacity tire. Load range C or D.

5. Keep those bearings greased

Cummins,

How did the opposite wheel sit in it's well? Was it perfectly centered?

If so, that seems like a major faux pas.

4 splines? How much higher does the trailer (and boat) sit now? Will this create any overhead clearance hazards for you?

Pete,

I had to do both sides. The axle is rated at 4200 lbs,so I can imagine that someone could have over loaded it. You figure a wet weight of a Response LX with a tower and full tank of gas is about 3000lbs and the trailer weight is 1150lbs that only 50lbs for beer and gear. Need to go across a scale. :innocent:

I decided to give this a shot before replacing the whole axle. The brake system has been replaced and I also had to rebuild both brake calibers.

Electricjohn

This raised the boat and trailer about an inch, maybe an inch and a half.

G_Anders

The trailer tracks straight before and after the mod. Tire wear is even.

• 2 weeks later...

You have to watch moving the arm on tourtion tubes axles it could pre load your suspension. 4 splines should not make a difference.

Edited by rodman

I considered doing this to lower my trailer about 1 inch for more clearance to the top of the garage door.

Better be real careful about lowering your trailer the prop guard is very low to begin with. And lastly you will need to drive the trailer around to let it seat. You will normally drop even lower that you set it. BE CAREFUL you don't want drag your trailer.