Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power wedge for older boats

Lance B. Johnson

I know that Malibu does not approve retrofitting older boats with power wedge, no need to remind me. :biggrin: I do need to know the REAL reason why? In other words is it a hull issue, or a liability issue?

I have done 5 speed conversions in early mustangs, installed 5 speeds in subaru SVXs (a car that was never intended to have a manual trans), installed EFI 5.0s in early mustangs etc.....whats to stop me from installing a power wedge on my 05 V-Ride?

Next big question is: Where is a source for used parts from boats? Surely the boats that are totals/recoveries go somewhere?

I realize that the benefit may not be that dramatic, but half the reason for doing it is for the fun of it, I just enjoy using my skills.

Edited by Ruffdog

I have often pondered the same thing and after looking at several of them I am pretty convinced that a guy could easily build one with some stainless stock, a TIG torch, a few bennet trim tab actuators ,and some wiring, relays and switch.

I will give ya my take on the reason why they don't offer these type of upgrades to people with older boats. The do it simply because they want to sell new boats. These type of technologies are what drives people to want to upgrade. If they sell all the cool stuff to people that already have boats that the stuff will work on, they aren't gonna sell a new boat, they are gonna sell a lot of parts. That's not what they are in the buisness to do. Same goes with the Malivue. It isn't that the boats can't accept it or they are some kind of radical technology, fact is it's actually very doable in of the boats built since 04-05. They don't want ya making yours "cool", they want ya to buy a new one that has the "Cool" stuff already in it.

I know that Malibu does not approve retrofitting older boats with power wedge, no need to remind me. :biggrin: I do need to know the REAL reason why? In other words is it a hull issue, or a liability issue?

I have done 5 speed conversions in early mustangs, installed 5 speeds in subaru SVXs (a car that was never intended to have a manual trans), installed EFI 5.0s in early mustangs etc.....whats to stop me from installing a power wedge on my 05 V-Ride?

Next big question is: Where is a source for used parts from boats? Surely the boats that are totals/recoveries go somewhere?

I realize that the benefit may not be that dramatic, but half the reason for doing it is for the fun of it, I just enjoy using my skills.

I like your style, git ur done and post pics and "how to's", I'd be interested...

I have often pondered the same thing and after looking at several of them I am pretty convinced that a guy could easily build one with some stainless stock, a TIG torch, a few bennet trim tab actuators ,and some wiring, relays and switch.

I will give ya my take on the reason why they don't offer these type of upgrades to people with older boats. The do it simply because they want to sell new boats. These type of technologies are what drives people to want to upgrade. If they sell all the cool stuff to people that already have boats that the stuff will work on, they aren't gonna sell a new boat, they are gonna sell a lot of parts. That's not what they are in the buisness to do. Same goes with the Malivue. It isn't that the boats can't accept it or they are some kind of radical technology, fact is it's actually very doable in of the boats built since 04-05. They don't want ya making yours "cool", they want ya to buy a new one that has the "Cool" stuff already in it.

I think your right, makes perfect sense.

a guy could easily build one with some stainless stock, a TIG torch, a few bennet trim tab actuators ,and some wiring, relays and switch.

:plus1:

There's nothing magical about a power wedge. It's just a couple of trim tab actuators.

:plus1:

There's nothing magical about a power wedge. It's just a couple of trim tab actuators.

Which brings up another possible avenue....modify the pro wedge to work like a power wedge.

I am sure I am being over analytical here the the stresses that the manual wedge put on the transom are all straight down....a power wedge that is not fully deployed (operating at an angle) will be creating different stresses on the transom......however, typically (I think) I would wakeboard with the wedge fully down only and the only time the wedge would be operated at an angle would be for surfing at low speeds. I don't think the hull is an issue.

It's done for marketing (sales) only. No question. If I were running Malibu, I'd do the same. Building a power wedge would not be extremely hard, just inconvenient.

• 2 weeks later...

It's done for marketing (sales) only. No question. If I were running Malibu, I'd do the same. Building a power wedge would not be extremely hard, just inconvenient.

Looking at the same thing. Local dealer did not want anything to do with it. May try it on my own. Have seen a couple of used ones out there. Don't know how a used one would hit the market, but may give it a try. Post here if you have any luck.

There have been a few of them on e-bay before.

martinarcher

Right on. Do it Ruffdog!