Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

WakeJak

MadDogMike

Just came from the PWT in Acworth, GA, and these guys had a booth there: WakeJak

I like the idea, but $180 seems a little steep. I have an '04 VLX with the Illusion X tower and Tower Bimini, and as long as I don't turn too tight to pick up the fallen rider, it's not that much of an issue.

Thoughts / opinions / alternate solutions?

Just came from the PWT in Acworth, GA, and these guys had a booth there: WakeJak

I like the idea, but $180 seems a little steep. I have an '04 VLX with the Illusion X tower and Tower Bimini, and as long as I don't turn too tight to pick up the fallen rider, it's not that much of an issue.

Thoughts / opinions / alternate solutions?

I just don't think it is that big of an issue really. I mean it has happened on my boat but maybe like once in awhile. Not worth 180 me thinks.

martinarcher

I've had the rope catch my racks about a half a dozen time a season as my racks are in about the worst case location for rope catching, but the best for keeping boards out of view for videoing the rider.

6 times a year isn't too bad. If you catch it all the time I would say your turning around a bit tight!

I have only hooked on speaker in three seasons with the Bu. (04, Skylon tower) Dont really see a need. as someone mentioned earlier might be turning too tight if you are hooking stuff. BTW never have hooked a rack. Swim platform......yea well.....

"Want to ride like the pros? It's easy with WakeJak"

You guys are completely missing the point...

It helps you ride better!

Yeah,

That website has more cool pics of guys getting big air than it does of the actual product. I love the shot of all the parts you get and you can see the guy actually laid the parts on his bed to take the pic. :thumbup:

Yeah,

That website has more cool pics of guys getting big air than it does of the actual product. I love the shot of all the parts you get and you can see the guy actually laid the parts on his bed to take the pic. :thumbup:

At least you know for 180 dollars....... the owner can sleep well :whistle:

"Want to ride like the pros? It’s easy with WakeJak"

You guys are completely missing the point...

It helps you ride better!

And to think 12 years of wakeboarding and all I needed was "The Wake Jak" to bring my riding to the next level...I'll tell you guys how well it works :yahoo::lol:

Maybe I can get Obama to spring for the $180 from the stimulus :whistle:

• Like 1

And to think 12 years of wakeboarding and all I needed was "The Wake Jak" to bring my riding to the next level...I'll tell you guys how well it works Yahoo.gifLOL.gif

Maybe I can get Obama to spring for the $180 from the stimulus Whistling.gif

We should allget one from stimulus! Then we can all quit our jobs to join the pro tour. Isn't that what Nancy Pelosi said we should do? Now that we have health care we can all just chase our dreams and not have to worry about paying any of our own bills. the govment gonna pay.

REW

Hey guys. I am a Malibu owner since 2001, a MalibuCrew member, and we ride on Lake Oconee in Georgia. Acworth Tour stop was cool, and we were lucky enough to get one of the pros from the stop to come ride with us at Oconee after the show – really impressive to watch those guys from the boat.

Anyway, I am the guy who was at the Acworth Tour Stop promoting the Wakejak. It's a brand new product, and not everybody is going to need one. We ride in a lot of coves, and about the only way to avoid blowing them out when a rider falls is to stop the boat dead, let it float in a circle, and then go back for the rider. Rope gets caught all the time for us and for the Nautique 230 we ride in also. Out on the lake, I can usually drive around the rope if I pay attention, but I am not always the one driving my boat (wife, friends, weekenders, etc) , and it’s just a lot easier for whoever is driving not to have to worry about the rope – frees you up to pay attention to other things. Last year, we made prototypes for our group, had several other people who saw us tell us they had similar problems, and so decided to try to sell them to people who were having similar issues.

It's the first product I have ever tried to market, and all I am hoping to do is solve the problem for people who have the issue, maybe break even, and learn a little along the way. A few points on the cost of the Wakejak. We made it out of marine aluminum, stainless steel and carbon fiber rods (we found and tried cheaper alternatives for each, but they ended up being just that - cheap). It's made in the USA. Could have saved money going foreign but didn't want to do that. The other problem with getting the cost low is volume. Making stuff for a tiny niche market like wakeboard boats means buying and selling in low volumes. I think that is why most all of the wakeboard boat accessories - like mirrors and mirror brackets that run $300 and up, board racks that are now mostly over $500 and even bimini tops (that are from $750 to a couple grand) - are all so expensive even though you can look at the materials and know that in large volume they would be inexpensive to produce. It seems you can’t make anything inexpensively if you have to make it in small quantities. Call me or PM me, and I will be glad to give you the details on exactly how much it costs to make if you are really interested.

For some people, having the rope get caught is an irritation. For others, not so much. It’s kind of like getting up to change the channel on the television by hand. Everyone did it for years, and it wasn’t really that irritating until they came up with a remote control that allowed you to do it while sitting on your butt. I love the remote. The Wakejak lets me sit on my butt more. Lazy as I am, that’s big for me.

As far as helping you ride like the pro’s, the Wakejak definitely does that. If you check out the website at Wakejak.com, you will see that it also will help you get friends, helps you score with the opposite sex, solves your recurring limp rope issues (not that anyone noticed), encourages skinny dipping, and will make you a better person in your dog’s eyes. Seriously. No marketing hype here. Also got a very inexpensive add-on tracking camera mount coming in less than 60 days.

If you know someone who wants to try one, let me know (does Pelosi even wakeboard???). If they don’t like it, that’s cool. I’ll take it back and give them their money back, no problem. Rob.

Yeah,

Legit comment on the bed spread. That looks way more lame than I ever would have thought when I did it. Not the lamest thing I have done during this project, but a contender. Will change it out. Hopefully the rest of the site comes off a little better. Rob

It looks cool, I think I would get one just to keep the rope neat and from hanging on everybody in the back of the boat. I just can't justify the almost 200 for it though I don't doubt the cost for a minute. The camera holder add on sounds intriguing though. Good luck with it.

Hey Malibudog; way to stay positive with the little jabs that got thrown out at your product and website. Not a lot of guys would take it as constructive criticism (especially considering that it wasn't exactly presented that way) and keep a positive attitude about it.

I think it's a good idea, and if you sell some, good for you. Some people may not like/need it, but some may find that it provides one less thing to have to hassle with while driving. I know that I've caught a few ropes and it's a pain, not to mention the additional effort that I sometimes have to put in when someone else is pulling me and I see it happen when in the drink (again...one less thing I'd have to worry about when riding).

Best of luck to you, and I hope it works out for you. :thumbup:

• 1 year later...

I use the Wakejak and love it I would tell a friend to buy it in a minute. The main plus for me is it keeps the rope off the people in the back. Everything else is just a bonus.

• 3 years later...

Does anyone know what happened to these guys? I was considering one given my crew is lazier than a hyperglycemic sloth about getting the line out of the racks.

He moved on to a new adventure after they sold of of stock.

The WakeJak is one of those options that will NOT be sold with my boat. When the time comes.