Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Temperature Issue -- Weekend killer?

Crew -- I need your guidance. Put the boat in the water last weekend - "perfect" ran just fine temp moved to 160 and sat there... this afternoon no problem on start up -- did a few slow circuts around our local lake temp move and sat at 160... perfectly flat water (and having read the recent post on WOT) I decided to do faster circuts 3400, 4000, 4200 and the last circut at 4600 -- but I didn't bump the rev limiter -- pull it back to 3000 and notice the temp move UP -- 165, 170 and then 180 -- I shut it down and think... impeller. Check the casing - "cold" to the touch... waited 10 minutes and fired up the 04 VLX with 380HH and the temp DROPS I put, put back to the slip just above 90? I tried 2 other attemps and the gauge didn't move up at all... even when I check the ballast pumps and idled for 15 minutes.

Is it possible the thermastat is stuck "open" or do I have gauge problem? Sunday in sunny and 82 in MI... any suggestions? Note -- thermostat has not been replaced -- working with Skier's Pier in MI (great shop by the way) we're planning the 300 hour service for mid summer... looks like it might be sooner. As always -- I certainly appreciate the guidance. Leo

40 hours on the current impeller, and no I didn't tear anything apart -- my rationale, was the temp was "lower" and won't rise? God, I wish I knew what happened under that center cover -- engines = dealers... :)

Had a similar problem with my 2002 Response Barefooter w/Hammerhead 2 weeks ago. Temp was all over the place depending upon use - up over 170, down to 150,then would plummet to around 120-130 and stay. Replaced the thermostat - problem fixed. Took 15 minutes.....

Sure sounds like the t-stat. You can test them by removing and putting it in a pot of water on the stove. Stick a thermostat in the pan to watch the temp of the water rise as you heat the water. As the temp gets to 160, you should see the t-stat begin to open. It doesn't take a lot of time, but if you are going to all that effort, I would just replace it with a new one.

Well I failed... I went to Skiers Pier this morning Ron, the owner walked me back into the parts room and handed my a "new" thermastat -- I offered to pay, he refused -- wanted me to get back on the water -- is this a great group or what? :) Back to the boat -- I'll be darned if I could figure out how to remove the 3 bolts -- I was 1/2 open and easy for the socket, the other two were 9/16 and HIDDEN under the cover on the engine (380 HH) -- held in place by 8 allen screws (multiple attachments since I believe it serves as the air channel.... I punted, pulled the boat and it's in the service area a Skier's Pier -- great day, I just hope I can chat with JP and see if he can get her back for Friday...

Another thing -- not associate with boating at all -- we took our Springer pup "Bowmore" Bo for short to the lake for the first time 10 weeks, along with our 12 year Spring "McDuff" -- what fun -- Bo swims like a water rat (full disclosure -- I walked him out to 3' of water and let him go - sunk like a stone... next 4 time a little motor boat.) :) Sorry for going off topic -- but it will be a summer Surfing and Springers -- have a good day.