Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gelcoat hairline/spider cracks: Fix them or not???

Hey Crew,

I forgot to fold my tower down and bumped it into the roof of my garage about a month ago :beer: (Yes, I know I'm an idiot! :Doh: ). Luckily, the only damage was a bit of spider cracking in the gelcoat around the tower mounts.

Here are some PICTURES of the two worst spots. On the other two the cracks are barely out from behind the rubber mounts.

I've been using the boat for the past month and I don't think the cracks are spreading, unless they're spreading so slow I'm not noticing.

So should I see about getting them fixed or leave them? Has anyone had cracks? Did they spread? About how much would a repair cost? Would it be worth it?

I'm just looking for some other people's take on this. The cracks are hardly noticeable. It's an older boat and it has its share of blemishes. The only problem I can think of is when it comes time to sell the boat. I doubt a buyer will believe that the cracks haven't been spreading.

Thanks!

Edited by Umatilla Matt

I borrowed a 2001 Mastercraft from my dealer a few weeks ago. This boat had cracks worse than yours. Since the boat was for sale, I showed it to several friends (seasoned boaters) who I thought might be interested in buying it. No one seemed to be concerned about the hairline cracks. One of them commented that it is almost expected for a 9 or 10 year old boat to have a gel crack or two. Especially around the tower base. If the cracks don't bother you, I would not worry about it.

I borrowed a 2001 Mastercraft from my dealer a few weeks ago. This boat had cracks worse than yours. Since the boat was for sale, I showed it to several friends (seasoned boaters) who I thought might be interested in buying it. No one seemed to be concerned about the hairline cracks. One of them commented that it is almost expected for a 9 or 10 year old boat to have a gel crack or two. Especially around the tower base. If the cracks don't bother you, I would not worry about it.

Thanks SkySkier, that helps put my OCD at ease a little.

Its strange because my Malibu had ZERO cracks when I bought it about a couple months ago, and its a 1997. I guess that says something for the build quality!