Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine loses power when warm, warning beeps

I have a 2002 Malibu wakesetter xti. I has a Hammerhead engine. I left the boat with the dealer to give a comprehensive tune up and inspection over the winter. New plugs and rotor for sure, new upgrade to perfect pass. After running the boat fine for about 6-8 miles, the boat loses power/ hesitates but runs fine at idle. If i try to keep running it, i get beeping from the dashboard, 2 short and 1 long,,,,this repeats. If i shut the boat down, I can run normally for another 1/2 to 1 mile and it loses power again. If i shut i down longer, I can run longer. It never misses or backfires.The oil level and pressure and all other gauges are normal. The engine runs at normal temperature and there are no obvious problems upon inspection of the motor.

Any Ideas?

Edited by DrFred

I found a plugged transmission cooler, cleaned it out. Now the dashboard starts beeping after 1-2 miles w/o loss of power, first some continuous beeps and then settled at di dah dit. (beep beeeeeeeeeep beep)

Thanks in advance for any ideas....

I found a plugged transmission cooler, cleaned it out. Now the dashboard starts beeping after 1-2 miles w/o loss of power, first some continuous beeps and then settled at di dah dit. (beep beeeeeeeeeep beep)

Thanks in advance for any ideas....

I had the same problem with mine but it was because the impeller went bad and all the rubber fins were broke off and clogged the engine and the water couldn't circulate to cool it. Not sure if this is a safety thing that Malibu had done to prevent a motor blow or what, but a very good idea if I say so myself. I had to let it sit for awhile then limp back to the dock. I will say I won't be dry starting my boat in the yard before leaving for the dock ever again. Worth a shot to look (maybe your temperature gauge is wrong and it's overheating).