Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

new extended bimini

MARiley

so i decided i want to add a bimini extension like my buddies' old boat. it would be ridiculous anywhere else in the country, but because i'm using my boat more and more on the colorado river, where daily summer temps hover around 110-115, it's becoming a necessity. the tricky part about my addition is that i have a direct drive, though i'm still planning on doing it...ANYWAYS, are there any san diego locals that recommend someone specific to make it? there's this dude i found on google, www.thatcanvasguy.com, his office is by The Murph, has done some killer work, but i'm assuming that comes with an appropriate price tag. i understand biminis are about 100 bucks per foot, so if anyone knows of anything less in the area, holler. my plans are as follows:

(boat currently)

2vjr1ug.png

(the zippers are to make port and starboard dock entries easier, and the extension would be attached to the main bimini with a zipper.)

15wdsvd.png

(to end up something like this, obviously not green)

23uq553.png

Have you tried John @ tower Bimini http://towerbiminis.com/ send him the pics and it will cost for quality work.. Do it right and pay once.

I realize its not local as you want but go to somebody that can make it work. There are a few previous customers of Johns that are on this board perhaps they can chime in on his work.

Hope it works out for you. :surfing:

Another option might be checkout a local marina that works on Yacht's and see who they use for canvas work. FWIW :thumbup:

Great pictures. You're the one with the arms up I take it? :clap:

Good idea, I used to have a very similar boat with a tower instead of a pylon and moving around under the bimini was a pretty big pain. However, you've obviously considered that already judging by your DD remarks. Quick questions, how are you going to get your wakeboards down? Walk around the outside of the bimini on the boat? From your design, it looks like the back section of the bimini wouldn't be stable unless you add poles instead of straps so don't press on the bimini for balance too often.

Also, you may want to add one add'l step plate on each side of the boat near the back of the planned bimini extension so you don't slip off the boat onto your expensive customized bimini extension. Just some things to consider if you haven't already.

i'm hoping i can have the extension be a little taller than the original, maybe 5-6" or so, and that'll make it pretty easy to move around. definitely not as easy as it was before, but i'm 5'10" and i'd only have to hunch over a little.

it's not going to be as super easy to get boards on/off, but i think i can deal with it. i figure we'll just do it from the sides where the zipper doors/flaps are. i sure will miss doing it from he motorbox.

consider making the extension easy to collapse and you could collapse the extension onto the current bimini and still use the motorbox to get your wakeboards, especially if the extension will be taller than the current bimini.

just noticed your signature, I believe there is a grant you can apply for if you claim it creates jobs! this could pay for your bimini.

just noticed your signature, I believe there is a grant you can apply for if you claim it creates jobs! this could pay for your bimini.

SERIOUSLY. there's a frickin' grant for everything, it makes me sick.

I center pole cleverly conceled would make it easier to collapse than doing 2 each time. I think you could leave those connected. Good luck and let's see some pics when you're done.

I'm 6'4 and used to have your setup, yeah, my back hurts.

I'm just trying to find a Bimini Top that will accomodate 5'10" and a High Pole like yours (the orginal). Does yours end just in front of the high pole? Where did you get it or where would you get one now?

Thanks

Rick Baking in Texas

I center pole cleverly conceled would make it easier to collapse than doing 2 each time. I think you could leave those connected. Good luck and let's see some pics when you're done.

I'm 6'4 and used to have your setup, yeah, my back hurts.

i'm not sure i understand the idea: do you mean have one giant bimini or..i don't know what?

I'm just trying to find a Bimini Top that will accomodate 5'10" and a High Pole like yours (the orginal). Does yours end just in front of the high pole? Where did you get it or where would you get one now?

Thanks

Rick Baking in Texas

as it is now, from the deck to the bimini is about 5 feet, i think, and if i can raise up the back part, that'll up-it to about 5'4"-5'6", which isn't too uncomforatable, especially because girls are short and keeping them happy is the most important factor in having a good day on the water.

it's a skylon skypole, and i'm not sure i understand the question. does what end in front of the pole? the way i have it now, is there's a hole cut for the pylon to go through, and a zipper opening for the cable to go through. the bimini came with the boat, but the current bimini mods were done by a local(el cajon, ca) upholstery shop.

I took another look at your purposed picture, removing the 2 straps to collapse the extension or simply walking around the outside of your boat is the easiest idea.

I took another look at your purposed picture, removing the 2 straps to collapse the extension or simply walking around the outside of your boat is the easiest idea.

that's what we did on my buddies' old cal-air pro-v, but it was a larger boat and had a tower with a crapton more places to hold on. i don't know, i'm gonna talk to the bimini dude next weekend and figure it out.

I totally understand the extra bimini shown above.

In your case you could choose to run a single 8 foot long bimini instead of the 5 ? foot you have now.

You may end up using your bow area more unless you move the pivot mounting brackets aft of the current position.

Your shade area would be an additional 1.5 feet to the front and 1.5 feet to the rear.

I have a 6 foot bimini that is pivoted right at the dashboard and depending on boat facing you can get out of the sun a little in the bow area.

I run my boat with the bimini up 90% of the time. My other 3 buddys have no bimini. It sure is nice to have a place to hide from sunburn.

• 2 weeks later...

i was directed to hanley's canvas in spring valley and already set up an appointment to have it built on the 19th. i was talking to them, and we decided that instead of straps to hold the back bow up, we'd make it stiff so i could drive with it in an up position without being open.

i'm stoked. mucho shade-o al rio.

• 4 weeks later...

my buddy picked it up earlier today, so these are the best pics i have so far, bb curves don't have the best low-light capabilities. i am WAY too excited to use it this weekend.

34444_402464604505_714734505_4575520_6780440_n.jpg

34853_402490544505_714734505_4576848_7454412_n.jpg

37445_402490584505_714734505_4576849_2406170_n.jpg

martinarcher

Dang that is big. It should certainly keep the sun off you and your crew. Good luck with ropes. My concern is the back legs of the bimini would interfere with the rope big time.

Edited by martinarcher