Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Advice on selling Boat

Indyski

Hi Guys,

I am going to sell my boat and wanted some opinions on asking price. Here are the details-

1999 Malibu Sunsetter VLX – V-Drive in showroom condition with only 167 hours. Boat has been stored in an enclosed storage shed its entire life and it shows. Monsoon 325 hp fuel injected engine. Boat is hunter green and tan with matching green bimini top. Boat has been adult owned, never wrecked and no gel coat work has ever been done. Also, this boat is 100% factory Malibu and has never ever been modified (i.e. fat sacs, flyhigh poles etc.) This is one of the finest 1999 boats in the U.S.. CD player with Aux in for ipod and Factory cover is included as well as a dual axle Shoreland’r trailer.

Do you guys think $23500.00 is to much? What do you think the price range should be???

I'd say $18K - $20K. You don't want to price yourself out of having people even look at your boat. Most people buying that type (v-drive) of boat are going to want a tower and wedge so they need to drop $2K+ after they buy it.

Hi Guys,

I am going to sell my boat and wanted some opinions on asking price. Here are the details-

1999 Malibu Sunsetter VLX – V-Drive in showroom condition with only 167 hours. Boat has been stored in an enclosed storage shed its entire life and it shows. Monsoon 325 hp fuel injected engine. Boat is hunter green and tan with matching green bimini top. Boat has been adult owned, never wrecked and no gel coat work has ever been done. Also, this boat is 100% factory Malibu and has never ever been modified (i.e. fat sacs, flyhigh poles etc.) This is one of the finest 1999 boats in the U.S.. CD player with Aux in for ipod and Factory cover is included as well as a dual axle Shoreland’r trailer.

Do you guys think $23500.00 is to much? What do you think the price range should be???

Tower? Perfect Pass? Wedge? I'm guessing no on all counts?

Thanks for the reply's... and no it does not have PP, Tower etc... I agree that it is high but I also want to make sure that I price it accourding to its condition compared to other 99/00 Sunsetters out there. I see vlx and lxi's on Boat Trader with over 400 hours and in (at best) average shape for between 18,000 and 21,000.

1999 = $19,999?

:plus1: Options are a big thing. As great condition as it sounds adding a tower, wedge etc....Might get some people thinking twice.

Hi Guys,

I have a friend looking for something in this ball park. Where are you located? Shoot me an email of pics and any additional info you can.

To give you an idea (this is not a V-Drive, though) I just bought a '99 Sunsetter LX w/ manual wedge, 2-year old airboom tower w/ racks, amp&wired for tower speakers, Indmar 325HP w/ 270 hours, 3 year-old dual axle Ryan custom trailer for $16k; everything was in great shape.

Edit: forgot to mention a custom cover.

Edited by Dubster101

To give you an idea (this is not a V-Drive, though) I just bought a '99 Sunsetter LX w/ manual wedge, 2-year old airboom tower w/ racks, amp&wired for tower speakers, Indmar 325HP w/ 270 hours, 3 year-old dual axle Ryan custom trailer for $16k; everything was in great shape.

Edit: forgot to mention a custom cover.

Have been seeing this quite often. A sunsetter VLX is a fantastic boat, but without the options such as a tower/perfect pass it negates the point of a vdrive really. So people will have to drop more money into that stuff.

Maybe post some pics of it.

167 hours in 11 years??? I'd prepare yourself for that question.

This is a prime example of use it or lose it. I don't think you'll get a premium for the boat just because it has low hours and in great shape.

Thanks for the reply's... and no it does not have PP, Tower etc... I agree that it is high but I also want to make sure that I price it accourding to its condition compared to other 99/00 Sunsetters out there. I see vlx and lxi's on Boat Trader with over 400 hours and in (at best) average shape for between 18,000 and 21,000.

Yup, unfortunately in that year range, having under 200 hours won't make up for the lack of options (under 200 hours on a soon to be 12 model year old boat may actually scare some people off). I've been keeping an eye on the 2000-2004 VLX market for the past year & personally I think that you'll be lucky to get $20k for it. Sorry to say, but it is what it is.

If I had $24k to spend on a 10 year old boat, I would be looking for a boat that is loaded with all the premium options.

If I had $24k to spend on a 10 year old boat, I would be looking for a boat that is loaded with all the premium options.

If I had 24k and a sanger boat I would be looking to buy anything that says Malibu on the side options or not !!!! :whistle::rofl:

167 hours in 11 years??? I'd prepare yourself for that question.

My first inboard was a 6 yr old boat that had 59 hours on it. The first season I owned it I spent a lot of time replacing belts, hoses & valve cover gaskets, not to mention throwing away the cover from all the dry rotted threads. :crazy:

Low hrs can also mean neglected.