Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

hull?

fashionair30

Hello, Im new here just courious how is the sv23 Diamond hull different than the wake hull and are all the hulls by malibu in the same design... Im trying to figure out what boat to get, Thanks!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JohnDoe

• aneal000

• WakeGirl

• Malibudude

Top Posters In This Topic

You are going to get some good information here-welcome! It might help to know what type of watersports you are into.... There is a lot of diversity between hulls and boat models.

The short answer is....

The "Diamond" hulls are better for slalom wakes but are harder to "sink" with weight for the huge wakeboard/wakesurf wakes.

The "Wake" hull is designed to put out a larger wake for the big wake sports.

Which one is right for you depends on which watersports you enjoy.

Basically, they are the same design with their only difference being the chine design.

If you're a wakeboarder, then you're best bet is a Vdrive. V vs. D drive has a bigger impact than diamond v. non-diamond IMO. In other words, a diamond hull Vdrive will have a better wake for you than a DDrive "wake" hull.

Good luck, there's a lot of people that know their stuff, and who are eager to help on here.

Welcome.

WakeBoarder = Wakesetter, v drive with w wake hull.

Are you looking at purchasing new or purchasing on the pre owned market? The wakesetter line changed both the LSV and VLX to new wake hulls in the last few years.

Tell us more about what you are looking for, the number of people you go out with, the weight you expect to have as ballast etc. There are lots of choices for boat size, hull type, engine, V drive vs direct drive, etc.

We will be more than willing to advise and explain. That what this site is about.

Sorry........I'm a wakeboarder

Stay away from the Diamond hull then. :) And welcome to the site.

What she said. Welcome!

I would just add that a diamond-hulled Vdrives beef up nicely. For example, a diamond hulled 21, 23, or 25 footer can have bigger wakes than a "wake"-hulled DDrive. Have fun on your hunt, there are many on here that will be glad to help you find the perfect boat.

Stay away from the Diamond hull then. :) And welcome to the site.

What she said. Welcome!

I would just add that a diamond-hulled Vdrives beef up nicely. For example, a diamond hulled 21, 23, or 25 footer can have bigger wakes than a "wake"-hulled DDrive. Have fun on your hunt, there are many on here that will be glad to help you find the perfect boat.

You'll pay dearly for it to, those Diamond hull v-drives hold their value as well if not better than any Malibu out there.

No need to apologize for being a wakeboarder. In fact some around here will see that as a sign of weakness, but us wakeboarders need to stick together.

Everyone here has so far pointed you in the correct direction. Wakeboarders want the NON diamond hull.

btw, I like your screen name... classy!

welcome

dangit mrothwell - you beat me to it.... I'm trying to help the guy out! Biggrin.gif

Edited by aneal000
I would just add that a diamond-hulled Vdrives beef up nicely.  For example, a diamond hulled 21, 23, or 25 footer can have bigger wakes than a "wake"-hulled DDrive.

With all due respect, I completely disagree. I've worked with a bunch of the diamond v-drives and nondiamond d-drives and for wakeboarding your still better off going with the non-diamond hull. The fact is malibu did a great job designing the diamond ski hull. I won't say that you can't get a "decent" wakeboard wake out of a diamond v-drive, because wake size is very subjective. But in the grand scheme of things don't point the guy in an obvious wrong direction. He's a wakeboarder, he will be much more happy in the long run with the correct boat.

I would just add that a diamond-hulled Vdrives beef up nicely.  For example, a diamond hulled 21, 23, or 25 footer can have bigger wakes than a "wake"-hulled DDrive.

With all due respect, I completely disagree. I've worked with a bunch of the diamond v-drives and nondiamond d-drives and for wakeboarding your still better off going with the non-diamond hull. The fact is malibu did a great job designing the diamond ski hull. I won't say that you can't get a "decent" wakeboard wake out of a diamond v-drive, because wake size is very subjective. But in the grand scheme of things don't point the guy in an obvious wrong direction. He's a wakeboarder, he will be much more happy in the long run with the correct boat.

To each his own. My family has owned both and I have done my part in contributing to the gas shortage in using both of them. The diamond hulled V-drives provide a much better wake-building opportunity than a "wake" DD. Some may disagree, but I'm certainly not pointing him in the "obvious wrong direction." But, then again, I go against the grain on a lot here on TMC.

Edited by JohnDoe

Maybe a better way to put it is if you are 100% sure you will do nothing more than wakeboard, then you'd be better off with a wake hull as that is what it was designed to do. But if you even remotely think that you'll ever have a skier back there (friend, spouse, kids, whoever), they will really appreciate a diamond hull - even a v drive. Put a wedge and ballast on a diamond V and you will have a respectable wake, although maybe not the best that is out there.

Some may disagree, but I'm certainly not pointing him in the "obvious wrong direction."  But, then again, I go against the grain on a lot here on TMC.

Your right, we should just have him do a search for Response LXi AND wakeboard boat. If I remember correctly a lot of folks around here seem to think that's a great wakeboard boat as well.

tounge in cheek response here, please don't take it personally

Crazy.gif

I have ridden behind just about every style of Malibu V-Drive. This being the case I would like to admit that any VD throws enough wake for anyone but the most accomplished boarders. (I'm still half scared of the new VLX wake.) You just can't go wrong with any of the Bu VDs for wakeboarding.

Joe

Well the bottom line is that it's virtually impossible to find vdrive diamonds for sale, so as a practical matter, just stay away from the diamond DDs and you're fine.

Depending on your skill lever even a Sunsetter will throw a fun wake. I was able to get a back roll all the way around behind Carve it up's SSDD. (didn't stick the landing though, not the boats fault.)

I bought a WS DD and had a great time with it. I also traded it in after 190hrs to buy a VLX. (go figure)

Joe

dangit mrothwell - you beat me to it....  I'm trying to help the guy out!   Biggrin.gif

Just trying to do my part. Besides, we all know that wakeboarders are beyond help. Crazy.gif

Especially when they go and sell their boat to buy a luxury Bayliner ROFL.gif

Well the bottom line is that it's virtually impossible to find vdrive diamonds for sale, so as a practical matter, just stay away from the diamond DDs and you're fine.

Depending on your skill lever even a Sunsetter will throw a fun wake. I was able to get a back roll all the way around behind Carve it up's SSDD. (didn't stick the landing though, not the boats fault.)

I bought a WS DD and had a great time with it. I also traded it in after 190hrs to buy a VLX. (go figure)

Joe

That was a Sunsetter LXI with the Diamond hull that he threw the backroll attempt behind, & he had plenty of air time to stick the landing. Wake size is certainly subjective & any Malibu can throw a wake that is "respectable", but the VLX is the boat that boarders want - there's a reason behind that.

Hello, Im new here just courious how is the sv23 Diamond hull different than the wake hull and are all the hulls by malibu in the same design... Im trying to figure out what boat to get, Thanks!

Back to the lecture at hand...

my order for wakeboarding:

Vdrive wake hulls

Vdrive diamond hulls

Ddrive wake hulls

Ddrive diamond hulls

others would obviously have swapped the vdrive diamonds with the DDrive wakes. I guess they like stepping on weight and having a reason not to bring people in the boat.

sorry aneal Crazy.gif

Back to the lecture at hand...

my order for wakeboarding:

Vdrive wake hulls

Vdrive diamond hulls

Ddrive wake hulls

Ddrive diamond hulls

others would obviously have swapped the vdrive diamonds with the DDrive wakes. I guess they like stepping on weight and having a reason not to bring people in the boat.

sorry aneal Crazy.gif

I think you're splitting hairs there. Having been in & around both boats the wake is very similar with similar weight setups, with the cost & availability of the boat itself going to the direct drive. Comfort & amenities obviously goes to the v-drive, so pick your poison.