Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Center Ballast Pump Problem

Yeager

Newbie here! I just purchased a 2004 Wakesetter VLX. The center ballast breaker pops when I try to fill it. If I hit empty, it seems to work. Is this a reversible pump? Any suggestions? Also the boat seems to list to the starboard side quite a bit. I think the rear ballast tank is not draining all the way (?) When I fill both rear tanks it sits level.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

Your center fill problem is probably a bad pump. You can replace this with ease with a new pump motor in the current housing. West marine should have the part, mine was an aerator style pump and found in the fishing department in the catalog, or just take in the pump motor.

Welcome to the crew!!

I don't think your pumps are reversible, just reach down and feel the pump for vibration after you flip the switches for the ones that work. It’s an easy way to tell what pump goes to what tank if the seller didn't tell you.

Nice looking boat, looks like UGA Red.

Your fill pump should be mounted on a thru-hull fitting. The drain pump should be mounted on the bottom of the tank. Both should be visible under the center locker lid. Before ordering a new pump I would check the pump motor for debris which will bind the pump and pop the breaker. Unscrew the small tab on the side and then twist the top of the pump off. Look for debris in there and make sure the impeller spins freely.

How long does it take for water to start coming out of the overflow on the starboard rear tank when filling, almost immediately? I think these tanks are only 200lbs so if it lists enough to be noticed then it's probably full and not draining at all. I would do the same thing for that pump as well. I think your tanks are above the floor. The drain pump will be on the side of the tank at the bottom right up against the transom.

Edited by Ndawg12

Thanks guys,

I'll take a look at it it this weekend. So what I'm understanding is that there are 2 pumps per tank. Thanks for your help! :biggrin:

Ok, checked it out.... When I pick up the center locker lid, I only see the drain pump. The fill pump appears to be up front (?) Somwhere... Any sugestions on how to get to it?

Thanks

I figured it out! The fill pump is next to the V-drive. I took it apart and the impeller was stuck. I broke it loose and it works great.

Thanks!