Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Spring loaded throttle

Michigan boarder

Why is my throttle spring loaded? With my other boat's OMC drive, the throttle stayed in the position you put it in and was easier to control speed. Can it be modified to eliminate the spring load, and what would the reasons be not to? This may be a stupid question, so I'll apologize in advance if so.

On another thread the P4 (Pistol Pete Perfect Pass) came up, and I thought it was a joke (like it's just an operator in a red shirt applying force to the throttle), but it sounds like there is something that can be done. ??

Spring loaded to allow return to idle if the throttle fails. You can certainly adjust the return spring tension on the carb so that it is more to your liking. Also, you can adjust the friction level in the throttle, there are two rubber pads that control how much "stiction" or drag there is to the throttle arm assembly.

That is if you have the stock equipment still. Newer models are throttle by wire and cannot be modified.

Yes, it is stock. 265hp Merc, Morse control (I think), no mods. This is great news, one more thing that will make my wife happy will be no spring return on the throttle.

Still, I'll have to take a look at it all when we are at the lake next, and weigh the risk of throttle fail (overrevving = engine failure = second mortgage) versus her preference. Anybody ever had that happen?

Why do sompetition ski boats have this and not others (OMC/Ford, Volvo/Penta, etc.)? Is the throttle set up completely differently?

I don't really think they are actually that much different, the smaller engines don't take as much spring tension to close the throttle plates as a larger 4 bbl carb on a ski boat. Also, less critical on an engine mounted outside the hull (outboard).

Yes, it is stock. 265hp Merc, Morse control (I think), no mods. This is great news, one more thing that will make my wife happy will be no spring return on the throttle.

Still, I'll have to take a look at it all when we are at the lake next, and weigh the risk of throttle fail (overrevving = engine failure = second mortgage) versus her preference. Anybody ever had that happen?

Why do sompetition ski boats have this and not others (OMC/Ford, Volvo/Penta, etc.)? Is the throttle set up completely differently?

Most competition boats don't have this. I think it is a symptom of an older throttle where the friction wears out and the spring takes over. My '93 PS205 had the same thing. You just need to tighten it up.

The safety mechanism is the engine kill clip that you clip to yourself when driving. I dont think the throttle is meant to spring back to neutral, they just get worn out or loosen up.

Edited by LXI Silver