Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Nautic Laugic NL2

hybridpower

Hi Guys,

This is going to be a super long post, but I'm going to be as complete as I can as I don't think anyone else has reviewed this yet.

I purchased the NL2 from Nautic Laugic Nautic Laugic almost two months ago, but as there was very little feedback on this product, I wanted to really test it out before giving you my opinion.

First off, let me say this, I'm not associated with this company, I only purchased the product. My feedback should be taken as the experiences of a customer not an expert. Also, I'm not an expert on boat modifications, so work on your own boat at your own risk! :-)

Ok, that all out of the way, I'm thrilled with how well the NL2 works on my 1998 Sunsetter!!!

Last summer, I posted trying to get help fixing my boat speedometers: Original Post, but was never able to fix them. I blew out the lines, I checked the electrical connections, and used the MDC trouble shooting guide. My final conclusion was the MDC was bad (In fact I could see where the water had gotten to the pitot pickups). All of my other gauges worked.

I found the NL2 on eBay while doing search for GPS speedos, there was a link on the site to the Nautic Laugic site, and that was where I contacted Cary, the inventor / owner. Cary is awesome, he answered all my questions, and even let me try two different gps units when I couldn't decide! Even with all his help, it took me two weeks to decide to pull the trigger!

Ok, so let's get to the product and install.

The NL2 showed up in the mail in about 4 days, and was packed in bubble packaging and came with detailed color instructions.

IMG_6450.jpg

I ordered the NL2 with the twin speedo option, as I have two speedos (when you order it with two, there is one primary and one secondary, but they both get the same gps signal, and will read the same).

IMG_6461.jpg

The NL2 installs very easily. I removed the allen bolts that held on my dash panel (where the gauges are mounted) and unplugged the speedometer plugs at the back of the two gauges. These get plugged into the NL2 unit to provide power to the unit, the plugs from the NL2 go into the gauges. This takes all of 5 minutes. It took me longer to find my allen wrenches.

IMG_6469.jpg

After you have the unit plugged in, you have to calibrate the gauges. This done with a jumper wire before you close up the dash, and only take a moment. Basically you are teaching the NL2 some key locations on your gauges, because (if I understand correctly) all gauges have a slightly different resistance.

th_MVI_6471.jpg

I ran my gps line under the dash and out the vent temporarily (I plan to mount it permanently). I ran two lines, as I tested both the globalsat BR-355 and the Garmin 18x-5hz (I was really torn when ordering). The big difference is the 1hz vs. the 5hz update rate. The Garmin updates the gauges 3x per second, while the globalsat does it 1x per second. From running both of them out on the lake, I can tell you that you won't be unhappy with the globalsat unit (my wife didn’t notice any difference), but I have chosen to stick with the Garmin. At speed, the update time is really irrelevant, as your speed is steady. The Garmin unit really shines on rapid acceleration, or deceleration, as it will track smoothly through these speeds due to the frequent updates to the gauges. This is really only something you’ll notice if you compare the two units side by side like I did.

Now you put the dash panel back on, you're done! Hit the lake and enjoy the fact that your speedometers work! I sure did!

If you guys have questions, I’ll try to answer based on my experience, and I’ll try to remember to come back and update this as I use the unit more this summer. If you're in N. Phoenix and want to see it work, pm me and I'll try to make it happen (but I might make you flag for a run!).

If you have technical questions, I’d email Cary (his email is on the site). He was awesome about getting back to me quickly when I wrote him.

Happy Boating!

Edited by hybridpower

Hey guys, I made a mistake above; the garmin is 5x faster (updates 5x per second, hense the 5hz) then the globalsat (1hz). Sorry.

• 2 months later...

Hey Gang! It’s been a while since I have posted… I have been pretty busy lately, but I just couldn’t help but to add my .02$ regarding the Nautic Laugic GPS speedometer conversion system.

I am truly AMAZED!!

I added the NL2 system; the one that converts the pick-up/pitot system to a GPS based one. The reading is dead on with my hand-held GPS and reacts even faster. It is so precise that I could actually tell my buddy the speed on my hand-held GPS just by looking at the analog speedometer gage (at a precision of +/- 0.2 MPH).

The installation was a snap for me too, in fact the only tools I required were a pair of cutters, cable ties and double-sided tape. The one-time calibration is very easy. It takes under 5 minutes and no GPS is required.

Before the NL2 system, I could never perfectly calibrate the analog speedometer to be accurate at all ranges of speed so I never really used it. It was there just as a back-up of my digital PerfectPass speedometer. Now, I tell my drivers to rely on the analog speedometer reading rather than the PerfectPass. I also have rear speedometer that I attached to the system and it is dead on as well.

Anyways, if anybody has doubts about the system, I assure you it is truly amazing! :thumbup:

For all those 2006 and up owners who have the Malibu cruise, that works great but is impossible to calibrate at all ranges of speed, this product (NL4- paddlewheel version) is definitely for you! Just the gas I spent trying to calibrate the Malibu cruise to be accurate at all speeds would have probably paid for an NL2 system…

this is somewhat related:

while i'd love to install this on my boat because it looks way awesome, i'd think i would rather drop $300 on other bs. that said, my speedo and gauge cluster don't operate all of the time because the main male harness that goes into the cluster is broken or something. it simply doesn't stay all of the way in. if i apply hand held pressure it works, but seeing as i don't have 3 arms and hands, it makes a steady pull anything but easy. it looks like a pretty specific part, and it's not exactly readily available, as far as i've seen. can someone point me in the right direction?

• 10 months later...

I know this topic is old but I thought I would add my experience to it.

I have a 2002 Response LX. I installed PP myself and couldn't bring myself to drill a hole in the bottom of the boat. As a result I don't have trick, wakeboard or slow slalom speeds. My son is a tricker and my daughter is starting to run the course so this was kind of annoying.

I called Cory at Nautic Laugic to get his advice and he recommended the NL4-PP with the Swift GPS receiver which was the less expensive option. Shipping was quick and I got in just a couple of days.

Installation was a piece of cake. The thing that took longest was getting the control box mounted because I am a pretty big guy and crawling under the dash is a pain. All told it took maybe 10 minutes.

The device works awesome and I now have trick mode and slalom speeds under 24.9 mph. I have the multi-line display and before I had no speed limit which is solved now also. I am very happy with the NL4-PP.

If you are having problems with your paddle wheel or like me you just didn't install it I highly recommend the Nautic Laugic solution.

How long does it takes this to "find" the sattelites. I've had a Garmin GPS unit out on the boat and it sometimes takes several minutes to acquire the sattelites. I would hate to have to wait for this to happen in the morning when I want to ski

I have a 2006 VLX with the nauti logic and no exaggeration, it take like 5 seconds, cold or hot. I also have my antenna under the bow rail and gel coat, just tie wrapped to the wires!

I was very impressed and told Cory that he needed to change his advertisement of 30 seconds or longer.

I have a 2006 VLX with the nauti logic and no exaggeration, it take like 5 seconds, cold or hot. I also have my antenna under the bow rail and gel coat, just tie wrapped to the wires!

I was very impressed and told Cory that he needed to change his advertisement of 30 seconds or longer to 5 or less.

Edited by pielet97

I purchased the Swift Gps unit from Nautic Lautic and I have it in the vent hole on the fore deck of my 2006 23lsv and the speedo and cruise control seems to be instant. There is no lag time waiting for the gps to find satelites. Best investment ever. Simple install and it works flawlessly.

LOVE IT.......