Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Installing Neat Cleats - Which Size

Murphy8166

I have a Sunsetter and want to put two of the Attwood Neat Cleats on the rear of the boat above the rub-ral.

Will the 4.5" be ok or do I need to get the 6". I would actually prefer not to have the Malibu logo eteched into the cleat.

Thanks

I put the 4.5" on my old boat, but I think the 6" would have been better. It seems with some dock line in there, the 4.5 ran out of room for winding the rope around.

I put 6" cleats on and love them. 4" are too small IMHO.

I use stiff single braid nylon rope and it would not bend properly around 4" cleats.

Murphy, where are you planning on mounting the cleats? On the side of the hull or the top portion where the traction pad/step is located?

I have the same boat ('98 Sunsetter) and was contemplating cleats as well but am wondering if the cleat would sit flush on the curved surface of the side hull?

The top portion which is flat looks like it would be the best location but I worry about snagging ski ropes on the cleat if mounted there.

The top portion which is flat looks like it would be the best location but I worry about snagging ski ropes on the cleat if mounted there.

IMHO, that would be a very legitimate concern, and a PITA to fix after the fact.

IMHO, that would be a very legitimate concern, and a PITA to fix after the fact.

The snagging is not a concern to me. I have a tower so the rope is elevated and we don't ski so no use of center pylon.

Not really sure how they would snag since the cleat would be in the lowered position. The edge of the cleat housing is radiused so I don't think that it would snag.

I have not really figured out where I would mount. The under gunnel PVC that holds the wire will be a concern if mounting on the top of the gunnel. I know that there is a bout a foot long section where there id no PVC.

My concern with the side mount is getting it high enough for bumpers as we as making sure the area is reinfoced. You can always go with a backing plate if needed.

a couple things you may want to consider...

-underside access to tighten down cleat

-access and ability to install a backing plate (which is recommended)

-what type of cover you have (and whether cleats need to be accessed while covered, and whether their location will prematurely chafe cover)

if mounting on top of gunnel it might be tricky to design a gusset/access flap on the cover that would not also allow some rain water into boat

• 2 weeks later...

Murphy, where are you planning on mounting the cleats? On the side of the hull or the top portion where the traction pad/step is located?

I have the same boat ('98 Sunsetter) and was contemplating cleats as well but am wondering if the cleat would sit flush on the curved surface of the side hull?

i'll try and post a pic of where i added a couple pop up cleats but not real good with the pic posting. if you pm me your email i can send them that way. i mounted one on each side about mid side window and they fit nice even though its not completely flat.

I have 6" on mine. No bolts showing.

i had to get these with the screws showing to match the ones the factory mounted on the back of the boat.

personally i like them.