Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurf

reagr

I have wake boarded for years but looking to try surfing, what board would any of you recommend? and does anyone know of a used cheap board for someone that just wants to try before upgrading to a new board.

Thanks

In general, a beginner will be most comfortable on a larger, surf-style board. Once you progress (which will probably happen quickly given your riding experience) you will find yourself wanting a smaller, more skim-style board. The link below has an actual Board Finding application. I also provided a couple links to other manufacturers you might be interested in. Anyway, sounds like your on the right track buying a used board to begin with and progressing from there. Good luck!

Board Finder

Beginner1

Beginner2

Edited by bs001

reagr, the new Inland Surfer Squirt is a great alternative to the compression molded boards by LF, Hyperlite, CWB, ect. Its at the same price point but has a bit better performance.

But in all reality, wakesurfing is an extremely fun sport and its easy to get hooked. If you get a compression molded board you will want a new board after only a few sets. Buying a cheap compression molded deck ends up being more expensive because you will want a new deck so fast, haha. Either way, you will love wakesurfing and will have a lot of fun. :yahoo: <- this emoticon is crazy. hahaha

Both previous posts are pretty much right on but...

I am on my 4th board (IS-blue lake).....I really like it, it might be my last. It might be considered a surf style board but seems WAY more agile than my 2nd board (also surf style) I got bored with that one really quick.

Guess what i am saying is that for a surf style board, the blue lake will be pretty fun once I get used to it.

But take it with a grain of salt....BS001 is a better surfer than I am :biggrin:

Edited by Ruffdog

For those of you with more experience, I've been considering an upgrade to

my current surfboard, and I'd appreciate your commnents.

Because of all of the positive comments I've read aboutthe Island Surfer

Blue Lake, that's what I've been leaning towards. But, considering my

current weight, as well as that of the rest of those in my family,

IS recommends the Squirt Tri-fin.

Hate to spend all that money and be disappointed. Anybody have an opinion

of the Squirt vs. the Blue Lake?

LF Venture is a sweet board all around, everybody that has ridden with us has loved the board, first timers and guys who have been surfing forever.

I concur, in fact Slider got his first 360 done on that board.

srab, the Blue Lake and the Squirt are both easy boards to learn on, but the Squirt is just a bit easier. The Blue is a surf style board and the Squirt is a skim style board. If you're over 200lbs and/or have an average to small wake, I would go for the Blue Lake. The Squirt will fit in a standard wakeboard rack but a Blue Lake doesn't.

BTW, WakeSkiShop.com has a sale on Inland Surfer boards right now. Coupon code WAKESURF2010 will get you 10% off and free shipping.

I just took the IS Squirt out for the first time this weekend and it was a GREAT board for a compression molded board. Much better than the last two I rode.

Wakemitch, want me to post some pictures of you "wakesurfing" from the weekend? :) I've heard good things about the IS Squirt - seems to be a nice price point, compression molded, entry level board.

2505585630106427728S600x600Q85.jpg

LF Venture is a sweet board all around, everybody that has ridden with us has loved the board, first timers and guys who have been surfing forever.

How does the Venture do on a meduim surf wake? I'm going to be rolling a 2001 SSLxi with wedge, 350lb center ballast, and 400lb side ballast. Do you think this would be a good board (I have surfed plenty and can do so ropeless)?

Found a deal at Evogear here

The link BBC code places weird characters into the string. Go to Wake9.com, blogs and look for the expression session video. :)

2075643060106427728S600x600Q85.jpg

Edited by flyboywakesurf

This is funny i was just thinkin about learning to wakesurf.

The best part of wake surfing is you can do it all day and not have to take pain meds at the end of the day! (at least for us old guys)

How does the Venture do on a meduim surf wake? I'm going to be rolling a 2001 SSLxi with wedge, 350lb center ballast, and 400lb side ballast. Do you think this would be a good board (I have surfed plenty and can do so ropeless)?

Found a deal at Evogear here

That picture if of last years model. You might want to check if there are any changes other than graphics. I just bought this years model and it was only about 40 more than that in my dealers pro shop. I like the new graphics much better, they are simpler and the board looks more like a surfboard. That is purely personal preference though you may love those graphics. But I would see if they are selling you an 09 or 10 because that picture is definately an 09

The best part of wake surfing is you can do it all day and not have to take pain meds at the end of the day! (at least for us old guys)

Thats what I was thinkin.

Find someone on your lake who wakesurfs and chat em up. Tell them you are new to it, and wondering what kind of board to buy. Chances are REALLY good they have some cheap big boards they started on and have long since stopped riding, and that they would loan them to you and throw in a few complimentary lessons. Hyperlite Landlock or another big board is easy to learn on, slow and stable, but once you learn the basics you are going to want buy something faster/more agile. Personally, I like the Phase 5 Daniello skim board and the Blue Lake. Have fun!

Wakemitch, want me to post some pictures of you "wakesurfing" from the weekend? :) I've heard good things about the IS Squirt - seems to be a nice price point, compression molded, entry level board.

2505585630106427728S600x600Q85.jpg

That is an awesome photo. What is the secret to getting air? Do you ollie off the lip? When I charge the wave hard in order to get air, I end up on the other side watching the boat drive away without me.

James is one of the best in the world, if not the best. Google james walker wake surf and look for videos. Hope he can share some thoughts, too...

That is an awesome photo. What is the secret to getting air? Do you ollie off the lip? When I charge the wave hard in order to get air, I end up on the other side watching the boat drive away without me.

Wakemitch, want me to post some pictures of you "wakesurfing" from the weekend? :)

I blame my lack of ability on your poor teaching skills