Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

09 VTX XS Tower

old skool malibu

My boat is in at the stereo shop getting the new system put in. The guys were mentioning that the tower came down really fast, they thought it was spring loaded or assisted. I have not checked it myself but I was under the impression that on the 09 there was some kind of spring assist? If there is could there be a chance that it is not hooked up? How can I check? How much assistance should the springs provide? Thanks

My boat is in at the stereo shop getting the new system put in. The guys were mentioning that the tower came down really fast, they thought it was spring loaded or assisted. I have not checked it myself but I was under the impression that on the 09 there was some kind of spring assist? If there is could there be a chance that it is not hooked up? How can I check? How much assistance should the springs provide? Thanks

Nope no spring assist, well none that works anyways. The new G3 has the spring assist on it.

Thanks guys. Yes the guys did say there was a cable but they did not feel like it did anything. I have never collapsed the tower however so I cant comment however we now have a new place so the boat can stay in the garage when its not at our place at the lake. Can I collapse the tower myself or when I pull the pins do I need someone holding it so it doesnt go grashing down onto my dash?

as a side not 06 - I have new 750lbs plumbed in and the guys at the dealer were mentioning that my side compment dividers were flexing a little. I was thinking about reinforcing with 1x1 tubing such as you did. Can I pick this up at the local hardware? Any other suggestions?

I asked my dealer if they would tighten the springs. It made a night and day difference. With the tower loaded up with racks and speakers, I still needed a 2X4 or an assistant to drop the tower.

Thanks guys. Yes the guys did say there was a cable but they did not feel like it did anything. I have never collapsed the tower however so I cant comment however we now have a new place so the boat can stay in the garage when its not at our place at the lake. Can I collapse the tower myself or when I pull the pins do I need someone holding it so it doesnt go grashing down onto my dash?

as a side not 06 - I have new 750lbs plumbed in and the guys at the dealer were mentioning that my side compment dividers were flexing a little. I was thinking about reinforcing with 1x1 tubing such as you did. Can I pick this up at the local hardware? Any other suggestions?

Make sure it's stainless steel, aluminum might bend under the flex of the wall. There is no flex in the wall since I added the support. Might want to find a metal supply warehouse in your area.

actually, yes you have assist. when the tower folds, you should see a cable hooked up to the hind part of the legs

I know it has a cable and it's supposed to have an assist, the point was it doesn't work worth a crap. The G3 assist mechanism is the only one that really works.

I know it has a cable and it's supposed to have an assist, the point was it doesn't work worth a crap. The G3 assist mechanism is the only one that really works.

Has anyone tried adding aftermarket gas shocks or anything to make it easier similar to the G3?

Stock, without anything up there, you can adjust it so that it's very easy to lift. I've handled towers at the boat show that literally needed a finger to lift them, they were adjusted that well & were that dialed in. But.....as soon as you start adding things to the tower - racks, speakers, bimini, etc etc - the effectiveness of those springs goes down exponentially because of the leverage that is created by the inherent design of the tower. The fewer things that you have on the tower, the better chance that you have of the spring system actually working.

kent,

I've never seen it mentioned here or anywhere else, but that doesn't mean that someone couldn't try it if they were willing to think outside the box a little.

Make sure it's stainless steel, aluminum might bend under the flex of the wall. There is no flex in the wall since I added the support. Might want to find a metal supply warehouse in your area.

hey I just but some fly high 750's in my rear lockers....what flexing did you see, the divider to the engine?

hey I just but some fly high 750's in my rear lockers....what flexing did you see, the divider to the engine?

Yup I actually blew the wall out of the track with the new bag. No problems since the bracing was put in. You don't get near as much flex with the 750 so you could try the aluminum square tubing they have at Home Depot or Lowes and see if it works.

Yup I actually blew the wall out of the track with the new bag. No problems since the bracing was put in. You don't get near as much flex with the 750 so you could try the aluminum square tubing they have at Home Depot or Lowes and see if it works.

what type of bags, i have the fly high 20X20X50 the look to be fitted but will check next time out

how did you attach the square tubing?

thanks alot for the info

The spring assist works fine until you add 80+ lbs of speakers and crap. Then it just drops.

I'm one of the poor saps that don't have tower speakers yet and my tower can come down with 1 finger. Matter of fact, if hovers over the dash and won't even touch anything unless I push it down.

what type of bags, i have the fly high 20X20X50 the look to be fitted but will check next time out

how did you attach the square tubing?

thanks alot for the info

They are through bolted on the inside of the panel. Go back and check that "now that's a big sac" thread I did, it has pics of it.

I just added 4 bullet hollowpoints and the upper speakers hit the stearing wheel so not enough clearance to get in the garage. Took off the wheel and almost made it but the port speaker hitting just below the glove box, 1/2 inch more needed so T removed the weather striping and trim..just made it in. Anyone else have this problem? The door isnt low by any means.

I would have to agree that the cables/ springs dont help at all. I see the cables appear to be attached however the tower was heavy and on its way down fast. Some of you have said that you can adjust the tension? How is this done and how much of the boat do I have to pull apart to accomplish this?

You don't have to pull much, if anything out of the boat to do it. The springs/tensioners are up under the gunnel to the rear of the tower. It's not terribly hard to do, but it's a little difficult to explain. I would have your dealer show you. With 4 Hollowpoints up there though, don't expect a whole lot. As we've said, the more that you add to that tower, the less effective the system becomes. As I said, I've worked with towers that literally needed 2 fingers to lift, but they had minimal gear on them (just racks & bimini, with no audio).