Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Why can't I build my own Fly High pump

shawndoggy

I really like the simplicity of the Fly High Tsunami 1200gph pump, but I don't like the price. I'd like to add a second pump to the boat and it looks like I could do an 800 gph version for about half the price. Which leads me to believe that either (a) the world is full of suckers or (b) that it's not as easy as I think.

I'm thinking of wiring up the pump with one of these (free, will just snip from one of the 10s of power adapters I have acquired for misc gadgets over the years):

7_39002.JPG

to one of these ($30):

att_t800.jpg

Adding a bit of hose with one of these at the end ($6):

fly_high_fitting_w738_3.jpg

Putting one of these on the bottom of the pump ($6):

fly_high_fitting_w732.jpg

What am I missing?

Should work just fine. Make sure you get some hose and put it on the oulet so you can throw the pump in the lake for filling. I will say the 1200 is alot faster though, you can definetly see the difference.

Edited by Bawshogg

:search:

Attwood Tusnami

Search for the pump you desire. FlyHigh pumps have the clamps, hose, nipple and corded 12v plug. You don't have to buy Fly High. I bought a case of the 1200's one time on eBay for $27 each + $1.00 for the nipple.

I have done this and have been very happy with it. I actually like this hose better than what is included with the Fly High kit. It's more flexible and does not kink. It is only 1" rather than 1-1/8", but if you heat it up, you can stretch it over the 1-1/8" adapter that comes with the Tsunami pump (that screws onto the outlet and allows for the connection of the hose). I would recommend purchasing the pinch clamps rather than the traditional screw-type hose clamps. The screw-type are quite large and have sharp edges that could potentially rip a seat or get snagged on something.

Total cost: $30 for pump + $8 for cigarette adapter (if you had to purchase one) + $12 for Fly High adapters + $10 for 8' of hose + $1 for pinch clamps = $61. Much better than $99 and you get a better hose, IMHO. Also, I found a waterproof inline switch that I installed so that I can just plug in the pump and then use the switch to turn the pump on and off rather than having to plug and un-plug the cigarette adapter. It's a lot more convenient when filling/emptying multiple sacs.

I want to make sure I understand right. If we want to add other pump for filling up sacs, we will have to drill other hole on bottom of hull for water intake?

No, I'm talking about a homemade version of this:

fly_high_pro_x_series_tsunami_pump_w709_1.jpg

Is it for water intake from overboard? The pictures and links of attwood pump posted got me confused..

Is it for water intake from overboard? The pictures and links of attwood pump posted got me confused..

Correct. But it's the same pump. No reason you can't throw a through-hull pump overboard, is there?

Correct. But it's the same pump. No reason you can't throw a through-hull pump overboard, is there?

:thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

We have a lot of customers that choose to build their own (once you factor in your Crew discount you can save a fair amount) but ultimately it depends on how much your time is worth. For a lot of people it makes more sense to buy the pump complete and be ready to go.