Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SkySki, AirChair, hydrofoil questions

Bill_AirJunky

So,

Today I polish my T-bar for the first time ever since buying it from Brazosvet about 4 yrs. ago. (you guys might know that screen name, he used to be on here too)

Anyway, Mother's billet is like a God send, one quickie little swipe with it and the T-bar looks brand new. I did hit it with a Mother's cone shaped polisher too.

Here's my problem. I had to take pics. with 2 different cameras before I could get this to show. How much time before I'm buying a billet T-bar?

Depends on how hard your pushin it Pete. Your a pretty good size guy as it is so it'll be sooner than later. But thats a crack in a place that I haven't had a problem with since my old AC foil. SS added the thick keel on the bottom to solve it. Interesting that you got it anyway.

The billet foils have a lot more performance than the shorter cast bars too. Lots more wings available. Better height & swing weight out of the box. The LEs are lighter & stronger. The B39/Launch is a bit heavier but delivers 90% of the ride of an LE at 1/2 the cost.

Guess it's time to start saving your nickels. When you get on one of our foils at Oroville.... well, lets just say it could be an expensive ride.

I'm wondering if I should look into having it welded? What do you think?

I figure, if that part breaks, I lose the T-bar and the wings. Double hit to the wallet.

As far as riding your Ferrari foils, I know they'll feel waaaaay better but, I gotta keep things in check. It was hard enough for me to swallow $1500 for the foil I have now. In fact, I had to split the costs 3 ways with two other people. If I upgrade, we all have to agree on the price of the upgrade. Don't worry, your gonna meet all 3 owners of my foil at Wow.

Hey Pete I bought a Sky Ski Launch about 8 months ago. I bought a Airchair Stealth for $1000 about 10 years ago. I have gotten $1000000 worth of fun out of it and it still as much fun to ride. Where I'm going with this is the Sky Ski cost me $3000 but I'll have it for years and years. If I'm not mistaken you can just buy a new foil and put it on the ski you have. I would definitely try one of the higher end foils to see if you like it. One of the guys on this site "Die Hard Skier" let me ride his. I loved the Sky Ski but it still took me 3 years to talk myself in to buying one.

Yea, the higher end foils are definitely nice. Took me a couple years to make each jump up to the next expensive upgrade. I always did it by selling the old foil (either complete or just the t-bar & wings), then combining that with some cash. Kept it reachable for me financially.

Seems like there have been a few guys try welding it up. I think they all broke eventually, just took a while, and it breaks above or below the weld. Being cast aluminum, it is tricky to weld.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Hey Pete I bought a Sky Ski Launch about 8 months ago. I bought a Airchair Stealth for $1000 about 10 years ago. I have gotten $1000000 worth of fun out of it and it still as much fun to ride. Where I'm going with this is the Sky Ski cost me $3000 but I'll have it for years and years. If I'm not mistaken you can just buy a new foil and put it on the ski you have. I would definitely try one of the higher end foils to see if you like it. One of the guys on this site "Die Hard Skier" let me ride his. I loved the Sky Ski but it still took me 3 years to talk myself in to buying one.

Thanks O.G.

I, too, started out on an air chair. The foil I have now that has the cracks is a Sky Ski Pro ST.

Thanks O.G.

I, too, started out on an air chair. The foil I have now that has the cracks is a Sky Ski Pro ST.

I learned on a friends Air Chair and I'm now on my fourth Sky Ski and currently riding an LE, what a sweet ski!

Terry

Yeah,

After I said it, I figured it was probably already done.

'Cause I know footin' is easier that foiln' :Tease3:

Hehe, depends on if you want to crash & tumble at 40 mph (or 45 mph in your case)........ or crash from 20' high at 25 mph.

I know a bunch of guys out at Nacimento who are into both footin & foilin. They foot till 8am, then foil the rest of the day. :rockon:

• 2 months later...

I've decided that it's time for me to invest in a release system. Me and my buddy are trying inverts and it seems that there is a potential for the handle to get caught on something (foil wings or, on our arms).

Comptech's is probably the best but, I can't afford that price tag.

Lonnie's velcro only system is ok but, I just stumbled upon this thread and like the way the Samson bullet unit operates.

But, I do see the guys point in post #13. I wouldn't want the pin to shear at the wrong time just because it got a little stressed at one time and I didn't check it afterward.

Who has opinions?

***WARNING, IF YOU FOLLOW THE FIRST LINK IN THE TIGE OWNERS SITE AND GO TO THE FIRST PAGE OF "MY INJURY" YOU'RE GONNA SEE A NASTY PIC. OF WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOUR ARM GETS CAUGHT IN A HANDLE ************

Edited by Pistol Pete

So, now I'm thinking that either Lonnie's or Samson's release devices might be a pain. They both have pro's and con's but, the biggest pain will be adjusting line lengths and breaking strengths for different weight riders. (kids ~100# all the way up to me 250#+)

Now, I'm starting to think that all I really need to do is fill in the void of the "triangle" in the ski handle. I saw a thread or post on here a while back with guys talking about this item. It seemed there was some company that made a mesh like triangle shaped filler that would go into this void and was attached to the handle somehow.

Thoughts on that approach? Can someone dig up that thread?

WWW.handlehut.com

Check out the T handle. I have been on the list to purchase one of these but they have been delayed for the last 2 months. Still keep saying in the next 2 weeks they will be ready. Have heard that for 2 months now though. I now am using my standard handle with a plastic filler covering most of the V section. Made it myself and attached it with nylon zip ties. Been using it every weekend this summer and holding up well. Sorry no pics but I covered all but about 3 Inches of the V section.

Heres one a buddy of mine made some time ago out of nylon & PSA. He used it for several years before it had to be retired.

mogabshandle.jpg

I still like the idea of using a release too. I use the Cinch & don't spend any time monkeying around with the adjustments, just set it on full & ride. Over the years its come lose on me twice, once when it needed it & once when it was wet. :crazy:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • 2 years later...

My buddy has a OLD air chair. Just started riding it. Im thinking about finding a newer one. If I do I will be on a tight budget so if you come across a very very good deal let me know. If I buy one I will want something I can progress on but can let anew person ride also.

IMG_1228_zps52089dfd.jpg

http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/Bradley_Thornton2012/media/IMG_1221_zps54dcd8aa.mp4.html

Pete......the standard Cinch Velcro release is truly all you need for beginner inverts. Spend some time getting it set properly and you will be amazed at how easily it releases. I have never had mine release at the wrong time, but it easily releases when it should.

Bradley......ANYTHING is better than the original powder coated Air Chair. A used Skyski LEX should be affordable and will do any trick in the book.

• Like 1

Pete......the standard Cinch Velcro release is truly all you need for beginner inverts. Spend some time getting it set properly and you will be amazed at how easily it releases. I have never had mine release at the wrong time, but it easily releases when it should.

Bradley......ANYTHING is better than the original powder coated Air Chair. A used Skyski LEX should be affordable and will do any trick in the book.

Just want to add that regardless which ski you are going to try inverts on, you need to get something to cinch your feet and buttocks to the seat! There are options out there... I ride with Cinch products.

• Like 2

Diggin up an old thread, huh. :Tease3:

Hey Bradley,

That AC is one that AC sort of resurrected a couple years ago. The board is newer, one of their "real flames" edition. And the seat & powdercoated foil is old inventory. I think they were just looking to unload some older equipment. We used to notch the rear edge of the seats, put big thick seat pads on it, kneeboard belts, strip the powdercoat off the foil, and grind the leading & trailing edges of the wings & t-bar to improve performance. Bob used to tell us we were crazy & ruined a perfectly good foil. Then he started selling tuned foils himself too. :Doh:

I agree on CT's comments on the bindings. Lonnie at Cinch & his products are the best.

Watch the Foilforum.com website for info on used gear. Also check Ebay & Craigslist (use a search engine like http://www.adhuntr.com to search multiple cities around you). If you find anything, I'd be glad to give you the history & maybe an estimate on it's value.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 2