Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SkySki, AirChair, hydrofoil questions

Bill_AirJunky

Found this one in Albuquerque, NM: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/spo/1733764864.html

Great front wing & t-bar. Assuming the rest of it is in good shape, it's a descent deal.

Might be interesting to get it though. Shipping to most anywhere in the lower 48 is about $100 if the ski is completely disassembled & packed well. If shipping, I suggest going to a bicycle shop & asking for a bike box. Take everything apart, pack well with bubble wrap &/or a blanket, tape it all together in the box, insure it, etc. I use radiator hose on front & rear of the keel of the t-bar.

I spoke with him. He is very avid ski. He just ordered new LE Evolution.. The one he sells is 4 years old LE-32 1/2" strut with Rock tower. It has upgrade front max air wing added 8 months ago.. Nice about it is one piece.. New LE/Launch is 37.5".. Is it too high for beginner?

I spoke with him. He is very avid ski. He just ordered new LE Evolution.. The one he sells is 4 years old LE-32 1/2" strut with Rock tower. It has upgrade front max air wing added 8 months ago.. Nice about it is one piece.. New LE/Launch is 37.5".. Is it too high for beginner?

Yes that it is a higher end ski than most beginners need. But it's a good price & should be a great ride. I'm using the same front wing & love it.

So I guess you should ask yourself how into this your going to get. If you can satisfy your craving buying a $500 AirChair with a powdercoated foil & plastic seat.... it would definitely be easier on the wallet. But if you think your going to be like the others of us who have basically given up on the other disciplines, and devoted all our time to riding a foil, then this ski will last you a while. The additional length is nice but not a necessity.

Of course 4 times the cost is a lot. Time for a gut check. :rockon:

Also, storage and transportation on the boat is something to consider.

These things are pretty large, heavy, and can be dangerous to vinyl.

Yea, you better, Pete! Bring your lid & your wetsuit to Oroville. Class WILL be in session! :rockon:

I'll make a deal with you. You try whatever new trick you want. I'll do the same. Time for me to learn some off side/rotation stuff. I can land my wake back roll, air back roll, wake front roll all day long. Time for something new.

Loser buys the beer! :yahoo:

I can't wait for the opportunity to get some coaching. I've never ridden with anyone who can ride better than me/us/our crew.

I gotta do a back flip, I'm stuck in a rut just jumping W2W.

Is it possible for you to try a helicopter? 360* rotation while horizontal in the air? I know it'd be dicey if you over/under rotate.

Come on Bill! Go for the 360!

Here's the first one I landed. Got it on video. Nice assist from Clare, and great commentary by MJ!

I need to start working on these again!

Also, storage and transportation on the boat is something to consider.

These things are pretty large, heavy, and can be dangerous to vinyl.

Yeah Hydrofoil rack is a must..

HEhe, yea, something about those 3s...... oh yea, it's the side slappers. Makes you really want'em bad, huh!

Well Pete, it'll be a good trip for you then. Jake has a big bag of tricks that is a treat to watch. Maybe he'll bring his stand up foil & give you a chance to give up your next paycheck or two. :crazy:

I can't wait for the opportunity to get some coaching. I've never ridden with anyone who can ride better than me/us/our crew.

I gotta do a back flip, I'm stuck in a rut just jumping W2W.

Is it possible for you to try a helicopter? 360* rotation while horizontal in the air? I know it'd be dicey if you over/under rotate.

Pete......you have no idea how fast you will progress if you ride with someone better than you. Especially if that someone knows how to coach. Even better if you have enough confidence in your coach to follow suggestions no matter how wrong or dangerous those suggestions seem to be at the time.

I spent 6 or 7 years thinking that wake jumps was all you could do on a foil. When I was calling around looking for a used Malibu I met a guy who told me about all kinds of rolls, spins, and flips people were doing on a Skyski. He generously offered to come to my lake and teach me and my riding buddy inverts. When I saw him ride I was truly inspired. I looked at my riding buddy and said "I will if you will". The combination of a great coach and a side bet with my buddy to see who will land the first gainer was all it took to get the party started. The fun factor is times 10 when you start landing inverts.

But if you think your going to be like the others of us who have basically given up on the other disciplines, and devoted all our time to riding a foil, then this ski will last you a while. The additional length is nice but not a necessity.

Boy, no kidding!! We are on our fourth SkySki and 99.9% of our riding is on the SkySki, the other .1% is wakeboard or slalom skiing.

Terry

Man,

I need to learn to back flip.

How do you like the foil board? I'd LOVE to try that.

Hey Pete how are your knees? The reason I'm asking is if you can ride a kneeboard the barrel roll and front flip on a kneeboard are very good stepping stones to doing them on a hydrofoil. Plus it's not as intimidating (crashes don't hurt as bad). Just a suggestion.

Knees are good but, not great. I had a snow skiing accident when a kid and they've never been the same. I actually wear neoprene knee supports when I wakeboard.

I've never really tried knee boarding but, it doesn't look comfortable. I can jump and ride the foil pretty well, I don't think it will be too hard to learn a back flip. Here's my first attempt a long time ago. :whistle:

My link

edit, another funny shot.

Edited by Pistol Pete

Knees are good but, not great. I had a snow skiing accident when a kid and they've never been the same. I actually wear neoprene knee supports when I wakeboard.

I've never really tried knee boarding but, it doesn't look comfortable. I can jump and ride the foil pretty well, I don't think it will be too hard to learn a back flip. Here's my first attempt a long time ago. :whistle:

My link

edit, another funny shot.

Pete.....you have the nerve to attempt the trick and enough air to make it work. The only thing you need now is a good coach. With some help, I'll bet you could be completing the rotation after a few sets, and get your first ride away within a few weekends.

Bill,

What speed do you foil at ?

26 mph.... and if I'm doin well, give me another 1 or 2 mph. :rockon:

Several things have helped me not only land the inverts, but to get consistent with them. Developing the air awareness.... what do you see as your coming around? If your not seeing anything on your crashes, then it's hard to make any adjustments.

Also, initiating things with your feet, not your head/shoulders. Murphy gave me this...... stand on the back of the boat & do a backflip into the water. Explain to me how your going to do it. Do you throw your head/shoulders back? No.... you'd land on your back. What you should think about doing is to JUMP, then throw your feet up & over. Same on anything else. JUMP, then throw your feet up & over.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I want to point this out before anyone gets the wrong idea.....26 MPH is for after you know what you are doing. Hard crashes at 26 can ring your bell pretty good. When you are learning back flips (gainers) and rolls, 18-20 MPH is the preferred speed. Once you can cut out into the flats at 18-20 MPH and hit at least a 3 ft jump, you are ready to get upside down.

I want to point this out before anyone gets the wrong idea.....26 MPH is for after you know what you are doing. Hard crashes at 26 can ring your bell pretty good. When you are learning back flips (gainers) and rolls, 18-20 MPH is the preferred speed. Once you can cut out into the flats at 18-20 MPH and hit at least a 3 ft jump, you are ready to get upside down.

Are you accusing me of knowing what I'm doing? :crazy:

Yea, all true. Any rider, no matter how well they ride, will step it down a few mph if their learning a new trick.

Crashing sucks. And getting hurt really sucks. So wear your bucket. And IF your going to throw a new trick.... throw it ALL. Because if you do it 1/2 way, thats exactly how far your going to make it around.

Pete.........Are you riding tomorrow? Did you know May 22nd is National New Trick Day?

So what new trick ya got for National New Trick Day??

I'll bet ya buck......

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Last year it was front flip. I am sitting out New Trick Day this year. Doc says I can't ride for a few more weeks due to last year's new trick attempt, but don't let that slow ya'll down any. :biggrin:

When I get back in the saddle I will be gunning for 360's. I hear the pain from those is exquisite!

Pete.........Are you riding tomorrow? Did you know May 22nd is National New Trick Day?

Well first of all, I just got out of bed, literally.

I have only a half a day to clean up the garage and do a few chores around the house then, we're driving over the mountain to San Jose to meet our friends for a Thai dinner. If there's time, I want to run into a Walmart and pick up some ammo. So, my new trick will be doing all of this.

How exactly do you guys polish your t-bars and wings?

I'm gonna pick up some Mother's mag. and alum. polish tomorrow.

Make sure that Mothers is for billet. There is lots of good info on polishing at foilforum.com

I loaned my ski to a buddy and it came back all shiney. That is how I am going to polish from now on.

If I'm just maintaining the shine & not making repairs, I use Mother's Billet polish & one ofthese HF polishers. Takes like 10 or 15 minutes, can be done fully assembled & lasts pretty good.

If your doing repairs, then I like to use a high speed, bench mounted buffer & green jewelers rouge. Take it all apart & polish each piece. It takes a while but allows you to really polish it up good, especially if your doing any sanding/filing.