Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wakesurfing with diamond cut hull

campjdriver

I have been a bit disappointed in the wake for surfing behind my 08 wakesetter VLX with diamond cut hull. I am considering adding additional bladders. I have read comments that the optimal settings would be different for the diamond hull. I could not locate the answer, however, on searching. I would appreciate suggestions, or links. Thanks.

I have been a bit disappointed in the wake for surfing behind my 08 wakesetter VLX with diamond cut hull. I am considering adding additional bladders. I have read comments that the optimal settings would be different for the diamond hull. I could not locate the answer, however, on searching. I would appreciate suggestions, or links. Thanks.

I've got the same hull. What I was advised to do, and what seems to work pretty

well for me, is using a 750# Fly High Pro X Fat Sac in the rear surf-

side storage and then splitting up the 400# Fly High Pro X V-drive Sacs, putting

one in the bow, hedging surf-side, and the other one either in the rear storage

on top of the 750 lbs. sac or on the seat, on the surf-side, with the rear

edge of the bag in the back corner. Whether I put that 400# sac on the seat or

in the rear storage depends on how many people I have in the boat (if I've got

human ballast, I put the bag in the storage and have people sit where the bag would

otherwise be).

liljohn just got his boat all dialed in with no bags on the seats, it's not necessary if you weight it right. I surfed it last weekend and it's legit. 1000# bag in surf side rear locker, Full MLS except non-surf side, 400# bag under seats, and wedge all the way down. Long, hard, and lots of push.

liljohn just got his boat all dialed in with no bags on the seats, it's not necessary if you weight it right. I surfed it last weekend and it's legit. 1000# bag in surf side rear locker, Full MLS except non-surf side, 400# bag under seats, and wedge all the way down. Long, hard, and lots of push.

That's what she said.

Sorry, I had to do it.

Like he said there is no need to have bags laying around the boat. If you need any help let me know. I have run many different set ups and have alot of experiance with weighting the diamond hull.

That's what she said.

Sorry, I had to do it.

Just don`t push out the back or you will find your self swimming... ;)

Edited by liljohn

i have a 23 lsv (2008) what is the best set up for me? same as the vlx's set up?

thanks!

all jokes aside, what do you mean by: "Long, hard, and lots of push."?

The pocket is longer, meaning you can ride farther behind the boat as opposed to being right on top of the swim platform. Hard means its firm, not just tall and mushy white wash. Lots of push would be a result of a tall hard hard wave.

The pocket is longer, meaning you can ride farther behind the boat as opposed to being right on top of the swim platform. Hard means its firm, not just tall and mushy white wash. Lots of push would be a result of a tall hard hard wave.

Thanks for explaining that for me bro. i have been surfing only since last seasons end and i have noticed that i was kinda close to the swim deck, like 6-8 feet.

i have tried a few different methods before but i think im gonna be getting really into it this season.

Unfortunatelly for me i ride on the starboard side of the boat so i have limited space for bags, i have tried installing a 750lb in the starboard rear locker and i have been playing with the stock ballasts as well and i have also moved my passengers around a bit. is it normal sometimes to get water splashing in the engine compartment? not much but i did notice a bit last time.

Thanks.

Long wave so you can ride further back, hard means it has a firm feel to it and it feels like you are riding ontop of the wave and not in the wave, push means the pocket in which the wave propels you forward.

Edited by 06vlx

i have a 23 lsv (2008) what is the best set up for me? same as the vlx's set up?

thanks!

If you have the wake hull like me a good setup for you is this.

750-1000 lbs in the rear locker surf side

Full MLS except non-surf side

400 lbs either under the surf side seats or ontop

400 lbs as far forward on the surf side seats as you can put it or in the bow

Wedge all the way down, or 1-2 clicks up your preference.

Speed 10.8-12mph.

Like he said there is no need to have bags laying around the boat. If you need any help let me know. I have run many different set ups and have alot of experiance with weighting the diamond hull.

I appreciate all the replies. I went to Waterski America(Dallas) and bought the 750 pound bag for the surfside locker and a (I think) 400 pound rear seat bag. We have all been surfing on starboard side so that bag will have to on top of the seat, or we can learn to use port side.

They suggested only 1/2 filling the center and bow MLS tanks so that they will also "lean" to the surf side. That sounds a bit iffy to me. I think I will try to emulate 'liljohn' settings as best as possible first.

I am hoping to have a longer harder push this weekend.

General ballast question here: Will the 400lb fly high fit under the passenger side seat.Ii'm talking height wise. I haven't even surfed behind my boat yet. TWP boards arrive next week but I'm jotting notes for when I do finally take the plunge and get some sacks for my vtx. I'm thinking 750 in the trunk and 400 under the side seats would be simple and effective.

General ballast question here: Will the 400lb fly high fit under the passenger side seat.Ii'm talking height wise. I haven't even surfed behind my boat yet. TWP boards arrive next week but I'm jotting notes for when I do finally take the plunge and get some sacks for my vtx. I'm thinking 750 in the trunk and 400 under the side seats would be simple and effective.

Yes but you have to get the tube sac that is 10x16x72 and not the vdrive sac for it to fit under the seat.

Yes but you have to get the tube sac that is 10x16x72 and not the vdrive sac for it to fit under the seat.

Thanks

Speed 10.8-12mph.

So even though you have the 750-1000 in rear on surfside, you still put another 800 extra between the front and mid? Does that extra bit change the wake that much?

So even though you have the 750-1000 in rear on surfside, you still put another 800 extra between the front and mid? Does that extra bit change the wake that much?

YES!

P.S. next time we are on the lake pull up and say hello..

My boat was the one paul was driving when he did the idle by hello.. the blue naked one.. and 06 vlx`s boat can be seen in his avatar.

That's what makes the wake hard and gives it alot of push.

YES!

P.S. next time we are on the lake pull up and say hello..

My boat was the one paul was driving when he did the idle by hello.. the blue naked one.. and 06 vlx`s boat can be seen in his avatar.

Man, I guess I am going to have to get some sacs added to my boat then. Was hoping the stock ballast would be enough but after reading all this, I am feeling a little insecure about the length, firmness and amount of push...(just going with the rest of the dirty minds here).

Will do. I recognized Paul but didn't know anyone else. Will definitely say hi next time. And I was soo jealous of you guys riding. I wanted to call Paul and ask if I could jump on for a ride. I just finally got my boards yesterday. Next sunny day and I will be out there.

Speed 10.8-12mph.

Thank you guys! i have some shopping to do, i believe i already have the 750lbs for the rear storage i still have to go buy the other 2 400lb pound sacks.

I will post the results when i actually get the nerve to get the boat out there in the chilly water. lol!