Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tige TAPS Actuator

A buddy of mine has a 1995 Tige 2002FSLM Comp with the TAPS trim tab system. The port side actuator is weaping hydraulic fluid at a considerable rate. Anyone know if the actuator is rebuildable? Or is it a throw-away and replace type part?

And yes, I know it's not a Malibu. :crazy: Just thought someone here might have experience with them. I haven't checked in with TheTigeCrew yet. :lol:

A buddy of mine has a 1995 Tige 2002FSLM Comp with the TAPS trim tab system. The port side actuator is weaping hydraulic fluid at a considerable rate. Anyone know if the actuator is rebuildable? Or is it a throw-away and replace type part?

And yes, I know it's not a Malibu. :crazy: Just thought someone here might have experience with them. I haven't checked in with TheTigeCrew yet. :lol:

and let the fun begin... :biggrin:

I've been told that the Tige taps actuators are the only reliable things on Tige's.

What your buddy needs to do is remove both actuators, float boat off of trailer at launch ramp and discard, then float new Tige onto trailer, re-install actuators. That's the only fix.

I've been told that the Tige taps actuators are the only reliable things on Tige's.

What your buddy needs to do is remove both actuators, float boat off of trailer at launch ramp and discard, then float new Tige onto trailer, re-install actuators. That's the only fix.

Then he'd have a brand new piece of crap with a leaky actuator. :Doh:

Then he'd have a brand new piece of crap with a leaky actuator. :Doh:

Uhhhh,

There's a hidden joke when I say..." taps actuators are the only reliable things on Tige's."

Its just a hydraulic cylinder right? My guessis that you can rebuild it. You can take it into a shop. or If you do it yourself O-rings can be matched at the local NAPA and seals can be replaced by using the number on the existing seal. If there is no number you can take the cylinder to a bearing specialty shop and they can take measurements on the cylinder and get you the right seals. We use McGuire Bearing here in Portland.

I checked with Tige. Their tech manual states…

“While the Tige boat has been around for a number of years the TAPs actuator has an ongoing problem of leaking hydraulic fluid. The Tige recommended repair is to remove the TAP actuator while the boat is in the water. Once the actuator is removed the holes will quickly cause the boat to fill with water and sink. At this point the owner should drop the actuator and swim to shore. The wet frustrated person is now free to buy a Malibu”.

Hmm, I am pretty sure you have gotten your answer. But I guess you don't replace the part.

“While the Tige boat has been around for a number of years the TAPs actuator has an ongoing problem of leaking hydraulic fluid. The Tige recommended repair is to remove the TAP actuator while the boat is in the water. Once the actuator is removed the holes will quickly cause the boat to fill with water and sink. At this point the owner should drop the actuator and swim to shore. The wet frustrated person is now free to buy a Malibu”.

haha I thought this was for real until it started to sink

Nuff said :rofl: