Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cleaning spark/flame arrestor

I have finished all of the spring maintenance except for cleaning the spark/flame arrestor. The manual I have says to clean with solvent. What type of solvent??? I was thinking about using brake cleaner or carb. cleaner. Anybody have any suggestion?

I use Xylene. Can be bought at your hardware store. Good for cleaning anything that is petroleum based, as well as prepping plastic or painted surfaces for painting, so I always have some in the garage. Any residue evaporates pretty quickly, so you won't have fluid trapped inside the arrestor, just let it sit outside for a day after you clean it.

brake cleaner

I would really disagree with that. you do not need to clean it with such a harsh chemical as brake cleaner.

compressed air and soap/water would probably be sufficient for most applications IMO. I would only use carb cleaner if there is no rubber, it kills gaskets...

Like Pistol Pete said, its probably not that dirty.

Especially if you cleaned it last year and have been maintaining it, should be a simple soap and water rinse if it's been done regularily. I cleaned mine the first time last year, probably the first time it was EVER done. All kinds of black soot came out, that's why I used the xylene.

I don't know if mine has ever been cleaned. I got the boat at the end of last summer, so I thought it would be a good idea to give it a good cleaning. Thanks for all the info.

My boat is EFI and you're looking at a pic. of my flame arrestor 2 posts up.

Once the motors went to that pink K+N air filter, there is no longer a flame arrestor.

My boat is EFI and you're looking at a pic. of my flame arrestor 2 posts up.

Once the motors went to that pink K+N air filter, there is no longer a flame arrestor.

Okay, thanks. I was told my boat didn't have one and I assumed it was because of EFI.

Pistol Pete is that a TBI motor or multi-port? what year and engine?

Edited by Killer

Easy, don't use your boat, isn't that how you do it Pete? :Tease3:

You got it buddy!

I think I only put like 10 hrs. on it last year.

I thought I was gonna get asked about the spring.