Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Additional ballast for a 247 LSV

Intense

My neighbor is looking to increase the wake size on his 06 247. I was looking at the wkaemakers system, but I didn't see one for boat with the underfloor storage. What other options does he have?

thanks

My neighbor is looking to increase the wake size on his 06 247. I was looking at the wkaemakers system, but I didn't see one for boat with the underfloor storage. What other options does he have?

thanks

If he's serious about wanting to get some sacs a great place to start is a custom surf sac by fly high.

https://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1813

Take a look at this thread. Should provide some direction.

Try the wedge three up clicks from the bottom(full deployed)

Try a speed of 12MPH + to 13MPH we have gone 14

I picked up some bags from http://www.pop-products.com/. Filled them with scrap lead from a tire shop. It's not melted or treated in any way. Just wrapped in a heavy duty plastic bag, then in the Pop Products ballast bag (heavy rubberized canvas with webbing handles).

400.jpg

I have eight 40 lb bags. About four 5 gallon buckets full. Cost about $150, plus the time to put it together. Easy to space out under the bow seats or move wherever you need it...... without taking up a ton of space.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I picked up some bags from http://www.pop-products.com/. Filled them with scrap lead from a tire shop. It's not melted or treated in any way. Just wrapped in a heavy duty plastic bag, then in the Pop Products ballast bag (heavy rubberized canvas with webbing handles).

400.jpg

I have eight 40 lb bags. About four 5 gallon buckets full. Cost about $150, plus the time to put it together. Easy to space out under the bow seats or move wherever you need it...... without taking up a ton of space.

I'd rather have a 400# fly high bag at 1/4 the price, plus you can get rid of the weight when you want to and don't have to trailer it around.

let me know next time you take your boat out. I'd like to see the wake it throws and how your setup looks so I can see in real life what I will end up with (or without in terms of storage).

jk

let me know next time you take your boat out. I'd like to see the wake it throws and how your setup looks so I can see in real life what I will end up with (or without in terms of storage).

jk

Will do, no storage lost when bag is empty. Full is another story.

I'd rather have a 400# fly high bag at 1/4 the price, plus you can get rid of the weight when you want to and don't have to trailer it around.

I haven't had a problem trailering an extra 320 lbs yet. And the fact that it's all under the seats (most of it under the center cushion) means that it doesn't effect seating or storage. And I don't have to mess with any pumps at all.

I also haven't found a fly high bag for $40 (1/4 of $150) yet. Maybe your getting a better deal than we can.

400.jpg

Does Pop produts sell the bags only? i don't see it in their website..

400.jpg

It is going to take one buff dude to put the amount of weight you need in a 247 to truly maximize the wave potential using sand bags. believe me i have looked into it. if you leave them in you are configured to surf all the time. a lot of times we like to take the boat to dinner in our non surfing configuration. hard to lug off 2000 lbs of sand bags. may work well in a VLX because the boat is smaller and less weight is required.

It is going to take one buff dude to put the amount of weight you need in a 247 to truly maximize the wave potential using sand bags. believe me i have looked into it. if you leave them in you are configured to surf all the time. a lot of times we like to take the boat to dinner in our non surfing configuration. hard to lug off 2000 lbs of sand bags. may work well in a VLX because the boat is smaller and less weight is required.

Never would have guessed that you'd need over 3000 lbs of ballast on a 247. Your right, lead is not going to cut it. I would only use it to supplement an existing system.

Never would have guessed that you'd need over 3000 lbs of ballast on a 247. Your right, lead is not going to cut it. I would only use it to supplement an existing system.

she takes a lot of weight. however, it is worth. the wave is better than any i have ridden.

I haven't had a problem trailering an extra 320 lbs yet. And the fact that it's all under the seats (most of it under the center cushion) means that it doesn't effect seating or storage. And I don't have to mess with any pumps at all.

I also haven't found a fly high bag for $40 (1/4 of $150) yet. Maybe your getting a better deal than we can.

I meant 1/4 of the $375 ad you posted a pic of. Lead might be a good solution for fine tuning a wake with a few hundred pounds, I just think it's a bad idea to add alot of it to a boat.