Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Must be spoiled

InvisibleMask

Boating season is here and we planned a trip with 9 of us at lake havasu this coming weekend. I keep checking the weather everyday and saturday and sunday its showing low 90s and the water temp is about 69 degrees F. I guess I got spoiled over last summer because we are bummed over these temps. It needs to be at least 100 degrees and water temp at least 75. My wife said if the air temp is in the 80s lets cancel the trip, lol.

we went for a shakedown run a couple weeks ago and didn't even get in the water. Boat ran good though !!

I have no idea how you guys/gals do it in the colder states. I wouldn't even stick my toe in water that is in the 50s.

oh well, hopefully the forecasters are wrong and it gets back up some. Usually in Havasu AZ it is well over 100 degrees by now, strange weather for that area.

I am in New England. What you described is a hot summer's day here that would drive everyone into the Lake to cool off. I was in the lake this weekend, no idea what that Temp was, but I was shivering badly when I was done. Air Temp didn't come close to 80 and I couldn't guess what the water temp was. I guess a wet or dry suit would have helped but oh well. It will just help me appreciate the summer that much more.

Geez, man up!

This weekend we had 58 degree water & 78 degrees air. I rode 4 times in 3 days. The last two times in a .5 mm rash guard & board shorts. I think the water temp climbed up to a blistering 61 by Sunday evening. I sealed up the drysuit for the year too.

Consider it incentive not to crash. :rofl:

Boating season is here and we planned a trip with 9 of us at lake havasu this coming weekend. I keep checking the weather everyday and saturday and sunday its showing low 90s and the water temp is about 69 degrees F. I guess I got spoiled over last summer because we are bummed over these temps. It needs to be at least 100 degrees and water temp at least 75. My wife said if the air temp is in the 80s lets cancel the trip, lol.

we went for a shakedown run a couple weeks ago and didn't even get in the water. Boat ran good though !!

I have no idea how you guys/gals do it in the colder states. I wouldn't even stick my toe in water that is in the 50s.

oh well, hopefully the forecasters are wrong and it gets back up some. Usually in Havasu AZ it is well over 100 degrees by now, strange weather for that area.

I'd say your are correct, you are spoiled. I can't imagine you are going to get a lot of sympathy from most people on the forums with temps like that. last weekend air temps in the 60's and water temps in the mid to upper 40s around here. I've been in the water, but only to get the dock and boat lift set up. I could really go for the temps you are mentioning, but that probably won't happen until mid July.

I know what you mean... those are wet suit temps! lol. Although I was there last week and the water temps were in the low 70s. I will be in moabi area later this week - the water is always cold there. Have fun on your trip.

man I was loving this weekend in Vancouver, it was 65 outside and the water was hovering between 59 and 60........way better from where I started mid march when the water was at 48......Rockon.gif

You need to toughen up. We have been skiing for almost a month and the water is still under 60* and the air hasn't been much warmer. 90* air and upper 70s water is mid summer here.

Take this in a friendly way, but change your ATTITUDE! I was out yesterday in 58 degree water with no wet suit. Ya it was cold but I was sitting in the boat and just couldn't pass up the opportunity. That boat you have is a big investment AND the $ value will only go down so make the enjoyment value go up and jump in that water. By the time you hop back in the boat you'll realize it was well worth it. It's all attitude. If you think it's cold, Its going to be freezing. If you think 'meh it's not that bad' Its going to better than expected.Thumbup.gif

"if it is ONLY 80 degrees lets cancel the trip" You're kidding right?

lol, no I am dead serious.

I guess growing up in so.calif, where the temp is always warm or hot and anything below 50 is just absurd, this is how you get. But for those who say toughen up or man up, meet me in AZ this summer where the air temp is over 120 degrees and you can jump in the water to cool down except it is around 88 degrees so it does nothing at all. You go thru drinking water as fast as you open the container up. You accidentally lean against the tower but feel a burn like its an exhaust pipe so you go to sit down but there is no towel on the vinyl so it burns your legs. You can't figure out why the A/C in the car isn't working until you realize it's 130 in the car when you first get in it.

The no wake zone feels like 100 miles because you really want to get moving so you don't die trolling along at no wake speed. Half way thru the no wake zone you stop the boat and jump in the water just so you can survive. Havasu people, you know what I mean... why the F is that no wake zone so freaking long!

But I'd prefer that heat over 80 degree days anytime.

The cold just plain sucks.

Take this in a friendly way, but change your ATTITUDE! I was out yesterday in 58 degree water with no wet suit. Ya it was cold but I was sitting in the boat and just couldn't pass up the opportunity. That boat you have is a big investment AND the $ value will only go down so make the enjoyment value go up and jump in that water. By the time you hop back in the boat you'll realize it was well worth it. It's all attitude. If you think it's cold, Its going to be freezing. If you think 'meh it's not that bad' Its going to better than expected.Thumbup.gif

I second that. I can't stand cold water as I have absolutely no body fat. but thought to myself that it wouldn't be so bad this weekend and whadda ya know. I actually could stay in the water for a while and enjoy my time on and in the water. It's definitely something that your metal state affects.

Shame on you! We throw guys like you off the end of the pier!Tease2.gif

We see ice on our lake for 3 months, and two months before that we are worried about freezing temps. That leaves 7 months to play on the lake. I gotta tell ya, after trudging around on the ice and not seeing water for months, when it breaks up and you have open water again, you get fired up! Sure it's cold, but it's fun! And those flamin' hot spicy wings I eat do cause a little pain, but that's fun too! And when it's my night to run and it's raining outside, that run in the rain feels pretty darn good when it's done.

But I guess it's all what you are used to. When we lived on the lake year 'round, even a little chop would keep us off (glass snobs). But now, I've got two days to hit it hard, so chop or no chop I'm gettin' out there. If you didn't have the warm air/water to get used to, you'd be doing the same.

Let me add this. When it is 80 degrees I love being in the boat. It's a perfect day cruising around, having lunch, driving thru the channel, etc. It's just not warm enough for us to jump in the cold water (cold being in the 60s) and really enjoy a day in the water. But it's a great boat day.

We have 9 people this trip and I don't want 9 people sitting in the boat for hours. Too crowded. I was really hoping the air temps would be right around 100 and they could be. The main thing is, no wind. That will really ruin it all.

Off subject a little, we really are tired of California and looked at moving for the past 3-4 years but the weather keeps us here. There is no way we could live where it gets below freezing for a few months out of the year. FL and TX are options but the humidity, I hear, is horrible so we're staying here for now. At least until we are required to learn spanish. :crazy:

Whats really funny is that boaters down there don't use their boats any more than we do in the north. It's just too cold for them.

We spend a lot of time on the Parker Strip & in Canyon Lake..... usually in the winter. It'll be 70 degree air & 50 degree water & we'll be the only boat out there. :yahoo:

BTW, not that you will appreciate this, but living on a lake that freezes solid in the winter can be a lot of fun. We skate, play hockey, drive the ATVs & golf carts on the ice, and have a good time on it for a couple months a year. The 2 or 3 months it takes to warm up or freeze again kinda sucks. But we appreciate both seasons.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Whats really funny is that boaters down there don't use their boats any more than we do in the north. It's just too cold for them.

We spend a lot of time on the Parker Strip & in Canyon Lake..... usually in the winter. It'll be 70 degree air & 50 degree water & we'll be the only boat out there. :yahoo:

Not true, you will see the fishing boats floating around all bundled up in jackets drinking hot coffee. :lol:

But yeah, during the winter (60-75 degrees) we are offroading in the desert and the boat is stored away for awhile. During this time the lake is completely empty until there is some sort of fishing tournament or race.

........during the winter (60-75 degrees) we are offroading in the desert and the boat is stored away for awhile.

Funny, didn't realize there was a season for that..... we do it year round.

If its not ice it boating season. I call a quits a Little early. I just can't trust the air temps in November to keep the boat in and I go to our cabin for hunting so I can't be around to pull the boat if the temps take a dive.

I only wish we thought 60s were cold.

Humidity plays a big role. I've been back in Wisconsin many times in summer when the thermometer says 72 and it feels like 95 or more in California.

Not humidity related but I was back for one Christmas and the thermometer said 10 degrees but it was sunny. I was comfortable sitting in the backyard in a flannel shirt until the breeze came up.

Edited by LS-One

We are with you. Lookin at goin out for memorial weekend but hope it warms up.

I have no comment.

However, I will say, I do not think I have ever been in 88 degree lake water...

Our lake is at about 54, right now...which is quite balmy for fishing opener (a big deal in MN)