Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Damaged Prop

Rover1

10.5 hours on the boat and bam...damaged prop (09 VLX). I have (had) the stock Acme 537 on the boat and was very happy. Found a neighbor with 2 new OJ 14x18 props. I bought them as well as his prop puller for $300, thought a good deal. I am concerned with the hole shot, has anyone run an OJ 14X18 on their BU'? He is willing to give me my money back if they do not work out...what are your thoughts?

If this is a no go...does anyone have a 537 for sale?

10.5 hours on the boat and bam...damaged prop (09 VLX). I have (had) the stock Acme 537 on the boat and was very happy. Found a neighbor with 2 new OJ 14x18 props. I bought them as well as his prop puller for $300, thought a good deal. I am concerned with the hole shot, has anyone run an OJ 14X18 on their BU'? He is willing to give me my money back if they do not work out...what are your thoughts?

Check out this post in the for sale section - 537 + puller kit, looks like a good price for the set.

New Acme Spare Prop Kit Sold the boat, selling the spare parts

I say give it a try. Easy enough to change.

Also don't know if you know this or not but that 537 may be repairable (depending on how bad). Mine was repaired for 100 bucks and works as good as new.

can they repair if the blade has a "split" in it? 2 blades are split...I have heard of miracles on these repairs, any thoughts on their ability? Dealer told me it would cost about 180 at a local shop they work with. It may be better for me to send to Acme.

can they repair if the blade has a "split" in it? 2 blades are split...I have heard of miracles on these repairs, any thoughts on their ability? Dealer told me it would cost about 180 at a local shop they work with. It may be better for me to send to Acme.

I don't think ACME fixes props, at least that's what they told me years ago. If they blades are really split a shop might not want to touch it. They'll let you know if they'll fix it or not.

You are going to loose hole shot but gain some top end with that prop.

Put on the new prop, only took about 15 min...not a problem. Shaft seems to be spinning freely. I will let you know how the performace is versus the Acme 537.

Ran on the OJ 14X18 today, I could tell the diffrence on acceleration yet wakeboarding was not an issue. I will be looking to get the 537 repaired

• 2 weeks later...

I am having some prop issues too, could anybody help, I have no idea which prop to get!! I want the hole shot, but at the same time I want top end am I asking for too much. Any thoughts?

I am having some prop issues too, could anybody help, I have no idea which prop to get!! I want the hole shot, but at the same time I want top end am I asking for too much. Any thoughts?

Not sure which engine you have but assuming it's the monsoon I'd recommend the OJ 475 vs the stock 537. It'll give you a better hole shot and minimal loss on the top end a good compromise prop. Loaded up w/ ballast and a few people the 537 is a dog out of the hole imho.

Thanks!! I have the monsoon 340 and I don't want to compromise on the hole shot, where would I need to go, should I go to my dealer or online?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!! I have the monsoon 340 and I don't want to compromise on the hole shot, where would I need to go, should I go to my dealer or online?

If your looking for a new prop the best thing to do is to either call or email Eric Johnson at OJ or Bill Weeks at ACME and ask them their opinion. There are MANY factors to consider when buying a new prop. Boat size, engine, ballast, rpm loss/gain, speed loss/gain, elevation, etc. Both Bill and Eric are extreamly knowlegable and helpful. Then you can use the info they give you to shop around for the prop they recommend and you don't have to play guessing games. If you buy directly from Acme or OJ or most reputable prop shops, they will allow you to try the prop you buy to make sure it's what you want and if it isn't, they'll exchange it for a different one.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Acme 537 back & pulled the OJ 14x18. Boat does do much better, for some reason I did not realize the diffrence at 1st. The turns are much smoother as well as a slight improved hole shot.