Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil pressure gauge not working

My gauge is showing no oil pressure although the boat seems to be running fine based on the short ride I had. Last season and likely for awhile prior to that (based on previous owners word) the oil pressure gauge would bounce low at idle then go to normal levels when it was given some throttle. Now I have no movement at all in the gauge.

P.S. I drilled a small hole in the side of the gauge and used the compressor to blow the water vapour out of the gauge as it was fogging up - so I may have ruined it, although the fuel etc still works.

I plan to replace the oil pressure sender but it will be a couple weeks before that happens. Is there any way I can be sure there are no issues so I can use the boat now? Does anyone have a wiring schematic for the gauge? If it is not the sender I am hoping to not have to replace that.

Thanks

If you ground your sender (the wire, but you can ground the whole thing), the needle should move to maximum pressure. If it does, the gauge works.

Peter

I checked all the connections when I noticed the problem out there so I am sure they are good. I will try to ground the sender wire to check the functionality of the gauge but if I find that the gauge is fine is there anyway for me to be sure the oil ressure is as it should be? I drove it for a few minutes with 0 pressure showing on the gauge and saw no signs of malfunction and I don't want to dock my boat for a week while I wait to get parts if everything is fine on the other hand I don't want to take any potentially costly risks.

My suspicion is that it is the gauge or the sending unit (or both but that's unlikely I think).

Ok I am going to replace the sender, but I have a couple questions... Can I use one from an auto parts store - just made for the GM 350 in a truck? Do I need to be careful about removing the old sender(dripping oil or anything) or can I just pop it off?

Edited by Wakes

WAS CURIOUS AS IF YOU FOUND THE PROBLEM MY 02 MODEL SEEMS TO BE DOING THE SAME THING.

DANNY

My 2001 Wakesetter LSV gave me a similar warning low oil pressure warning this weekend. The warning went away with a little more throttle. Any ideas on what could have been causing the warning?