Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

oil pressure too high

I had the boat (02 VLX with HH engine) out yesterday and the alarm beeps when we would have it at higher speeds. The oil pressure would go from 50 psi on the gauge to 80 psi and the alarm would start to go off after a minute or so. I pulled the brown wire from the oil pressure sender and switch and the boat did not stop beeping. I can get it to stop by turning off the motor and then restart and it would be back to normal. What would cause the pressure to be so high and would that be causing the beeping. The boat is running great but I just don't know what else to check. I would take it in to the dealer, but I can only get it to beep at me when the boat is loaded down and we are at faster speeds. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

There really isn't such a thing as "oil pressure too high" in our arena. It will not set the alarm.

Check to make sure the knock sensor's are plugged in on both sides.

Peter

My 2004 HH set off the alarm when loaded down for wakeboarding. If I stopped and shut the engine off for a few minutes the alarm would stop. At first I thought it was oil pressure since the HH is famous for that. After lots of trial and error, my mechanic zeroed in on the trans cooler. It looked too small. Turns out the guy that did the damper plate repair used a smaller aftermarket trans cooler. (flying metal damaged the original). Because your alarm stops after you shut the engine down for a bit, I believe your problem is related to cooling/overheating rather than oil pressure. I would start with the impeller and check for blockage in the rest of the cooling system. If your impeller is missing chunks, those chunks may have lodged somewhere.

Also, the trans can overheat and set off the alarm even though the engine temp guage looks normal.

Edited by skyskier

There really isn't such a thing as "oil pressure too high" in our arena. It will not set the alarm.

Check to make sure the knock sensor's are plugged in on both sides.

Peter

I looked at the knock sensor and notice that I didn't put the wire back on the sensor. That was dumb off me to forget. This shouldn't set off the alarm though should it? It would seem that the sensor would need to be wired to send the signal to set off the alarm.

I looked at the knock sensor and notice that I didn't put the wire back on the sensor. That was dumb off me to forget. This shouldn't set off the alarm though should it? It would seem that the sensor would need to be wired to send the signal to set off the alarm.

The knock sensor actually produces a voltage, which is required by the ECM at high rpm. If it gets none, the alarm will sound. Not to worry, it's a common mistake.

Peter

My 2004 HH set off the alarm when loaded down for wakeboarding. If I stopped and shut the engine off for a few minutes the alarm would stop. At first I thought it was oil pressure since the HH is famous for that. After lots of trial and error, my mechanic zeroed in on the trans cooler. It looked too small. Turns out the guy that did the damper plate repair used a smaller aftermarket trans cooler. (flying metal damaged the original). Because your alarm stops after you shut the engine down for a bit, I believe your problem is related to cooling/overheating rather than oil pressure. I would start with the impeller and check for blockage in the rest of the cooling system. If your impeller is missing chunks, those chunks may have lodged somewhere.

Also, the trans can overheat and set off the alarm even though the engine temp guage looks normal.

Yeah it was only giving me the alarm when we had the boat loaded down for wakeboarding and I could get the alarm to go off if I was not loaded down wide open throttle. While the boat was running and I was checking the sensors, I noticed that the impeller housing is leaking water out of the bottom. I thought I read that this means the seal is broken and the pump is going to fail. Is this the part I would need to replace?

post-9064-127410771569_thumb.jpg

Is it leaking water out of the impeller cover (towards the transom of the boat) or the back of the pump (towards the engine)?

Is it leaking water out of the impeller cover (towards the transom of the boat) or the back of the pump (towards the engine)?

It is not leaking water out of the impeller cover. I replaced the gasket and that is sealed off well. The drip is coming out of the middle of the housing right behind the intake hoses. I guess it could be leaking somewhere further up and the drip is falling at that point. It is not supposed be leaking at all right?