Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speedo fell out of dash

Have a 1998 Response. Just purchased last fall. First time in water today. Hit a wake and one of the speedometers came loose.

How should I re-install? I cut some thin strips of double faced tape and attached it. Doubt the tape is the best solution.

Thanks for any help. Very pleased with the boat.

That 3m double stick tape (VHB, I think) will stick stuff pretty permanently. That's what gopro uses for their surfboard video camera mount, for instance. I'd certainly trust it to hold a speedo in a dash.

How what it held in place to begin with...threaded, clips, ect? Did something break or crack?

I looked at gauge and could not see anything broken off. Looked like it had glue residue on dash.

I would doubt the gauges are glued in from the factory??????

I looked at gauge and could not see anything broken off. Looked like it had glue residue on dash.

I would doubt the gauges are glued in from the factory??????

I’m not a real fan of double stick tape outside as heat and water will render it useless over time (in my experience). It guess using something like Liquid Nails or E6000 would be your best bet.

Speedo is held in with a bracket on the rear of the panel. Remove the panel and you should be able to re-attach it.

Peter

Speedo is held in with a bracket on the rear of the panel. Remove the panel and you should be able to re-attach it.

Peter

Thanks Peter,

Can you reach the bracket from behind the dash or is taking the panel off easy??

You need to remove the dash panel. I believe in '98 you have a number of mini cap screws, which require a small allen wrench and some patience during installation to ensure no cross-threading. Some lubricant is advised.

-pb

Have a 1998 Response. Just purchased last fall. First time in water today. Hit a wake and one of the speedometers came loose.

How should I re-install? I cut some thin strips of double faced tape and attached it. Doubt the tape is the best solution.

Thanks for any help. Very pleased with the boat.

I just replaced my gauges in my boat..there should be screws on the top of your dash, mine had 3..once you take those out the dash should be able to fold down..you need to get behind there because your gauges have 2 bolts goin through the back of them..they should be bolted down by a U-shaped bracket that holds all the gauges in place...

I just replaced my gauges in my boat..there should be screws on the top of your dash, mine had 3..once you take those out the dash should be able to fold down..you need to get behind there because your gauges have 2 bolts goin through the back of them..they should be bolted down by a U-shaped bracket that holds all the gauges in place...

Thanks for the info. I will try the fix this weekend.

It is really easy to do, I've had my dash pannel off recently on my '98 sunsetter, just unscrew the allen bolts and tilt forward. There is a "C" shaped metal bracket that hold the guage in place. The good news is, that your nuts and the bracket are probably still in the dash area behind the pannel.

IMG_6466.jpg