Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water in bilge

I have an 05 ws lsv with the monsoon. I had my boat in a slip this weekend and when I came out in the morning there was about 4-5" of water in the bilge. I looked everywhere and could not find where it was coming from. I turned the pump on and got rid of all the water and still could not find anything. I ran the boat all day and no problems. I put the boat back in the slip at the end of the day and came out the next morning to 4-5" in the bilge.

I've had the boat in the water for days at a time before and never had a problem.

Any ideas or suggestion would be appreciated

Thanks,

Mike

Did you check the packing seal around the drive shaft? Those can loosen up on you over time. Should be a drip every 30 seconds or so, not a steady stream.

no maintenance lately. I did check all the mls fittings and they looked ok.  I was thinking of the drive shaft. Is that an easy fix?

I agree - it sounds like the drive shaft packing.

The access in a v-drive is best suited to a contortionist. I had the dealer fix this for me when mine was letting in too much water. Make sure your battery is fully charged and the automatic bilge pump is working until you fix it.

Check the packing nut. Pretty easy on DD but as others have indicated not the case on a VDrive. Also check your through-hull fittings i.e. drain plugs, ballast pumps etc.... My ski locker through hull drain leaks a tiny bit not through the plug itself but from one of the screw holes. I need to fix it but it only lets in a couple of drops per day.

Check the swim platform brackets that attach to the transom and make sure they're tight. I couldn't figure out where the water was coming from this past summer and that was the source.

In theory it should be, but the placement on v-drives can make adjustment tricky.  You need the right tool.  :)
The access in a v-drive is best suited to a contortionist.  I had the dealer fix this for me when mine was letting in too much water.
Check the packing nut.  Pretty easy on DD but as others have indicated not the case on a VDrive.

I'm noticing a pattern here. Gawd I love my DD! Tongue.gif

In theory it should be, but the placement on v-drives can make adjustment tricky.  You need the right tool.  :)
The access in a v-drive is best suited to a contortionist.  I had the dealer fix this for me when mine was letting in too much water.
Check the packing nut.  Pretty easy on DD but as others have indicated not the case on a VDrive.

Yahoo.gif

Yahoo.gif

Whatever!! :biteme:Tease2.gif

QUOTE(Malibudude @ Oct 11 2005, 10:20 AM)

QUOTE(SunriseH2OSkier @ Oct 11 2005, 06:15 AM)

QUOTE(WakeGirl @ Oct 10 2005, 03:17 PM)

In theory it should be, but the placement on v-drives can make adjustment tricky.  You need the right tool. 

QUOTE(obski @ Oct 10 2005, 04:42 PM)

QUOTE(Lakenut @ Oct 11 2005, 09:03 AM)

I'm noticing a pattern here. Gawd I love my DD!

Whatever!! 

Man the truth hurts. Tongue.gif

V-drives are easy to work on if you are a decent mechanic. Tease2.gif

Wouldn't give up the space in my V for anything. Plus did I mention you can use the pylon and still have passengers in the back seat?

I turned the pump on and got rid of all the water and still could not find anything. ]

Your bilge pump should come one automatically even if your switch isn't on. I would check your float and make sure its not stuck.

Plus did I mention you can use the pylon and still have passengers in the back seat?

But the driver and observer should both be up front anyway. Tease.gif

What do you use the pylon for on a V-Drive anyway? Dontknow.gif Pulling tubers?? Crazy.gif

Any more than the driver and observer is just taking away from YOUR time behind the boat anyway.

D-drives RULE Yahoo.gif

VDrivers seem to have nuts that are inaccessible, shafts with annoying drips that they're unable to solve, inadequate tools, and pylons that might stick in the retracted position... Crazy.gif

Plus did I mention you can use the pylon and still have passengers in the back seat?

But the driver and observer should both be up front anyway. Tease.gif

What do you use the pylon for on a V-Drive anyway? Dontknow.gif Pulling tubers?? Crazy.gif

Oh yeah, it's great for pulling a tube. And every now and then I run across these red and yellow balls floating in the lake, primarily in the early am. It's really cool to pull the tube through it. All these guys in Response boats just sit there in amazement as we try to navigate these balls with the tube. It's a blast. Biggrin.gif

VDrivers seem to have nuts that are inaccessible, shafts with annoying drips that they're unable to solve, inadequate tools, and pylons that might stick in the retracted position... Crazy.gif

Hmmm, I must be lucky. I don't seem to have any of those problems. I don't even have a retractable pylon so mine is always in the full up position. Unlike the DD's with permanently shorter pole.

I have an 04 VLX and have a similar problem. When in the garage I suck all of the bilge water and ice chest out. Then I go to the lake and every time I look in the bilge (where ski locker should be) within minutes and without using ballast pumps, there is instantly an inch of water. It never creeps up past 2 or 3 inches. I'm kinda stumped. I was thinking that maybe there is water under the gas tank or front ballast tank that I'm not geting out at home then I see it as the attitude of the boat changes being in the water????

Pat

PS- at least I can't blame this one on HDS..... Yahoo.gif

Edited by Faceplant409

When I remember to....

I use a super soaker to extract everything down to what can be mopped up with a towel out of bilge and cooler. (I put a new scupper and a valve on cooler so it holds water)