Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Limp Mode at idle

Yesterday we were using our boat; boat was fine for four pulls on the water, but then after last skier was in the boat, I started engine and boat immediately sounded the beeping siren, CHECK ENGINE on screen, and boat was in limp mode.

Last week we inadvertantly ran boat without impeller, and thank you all for your helpful comments on that topic. Since then I have replaced impeller, and boat temperature was exactly where it should be all day yesterday; when siren was sounding, temp was at 156. We had checked oil, and no sign of water in oil. Oil pressure was reading 35 at idle while siren/limp mode was happening.

I have NO faith in our dealership; I won't bore you with details, but suffice to say: They are inept. Any help from our readers is usually so much more useful! Thanks

Do you have the LCD dash? I forget when that was implemented. You can get the diagnostic codes for the engine with Maliview or the LCD display which will give you an idea of what is going on.

Just turn the ignition on and cycle through the screen options to find the service section.

If you don't have the LCD dash, any indmar dealer can plug in and pull the codes. My 09 doesn't have the standard OBD connector like a car. I think my 2002 did. Regardless, I'm not totally sure the marine industry follows the same SAE standard as the automotive industry so you can pull generic diagnostic trouble codes with a generic scan tool. The diagnostic port should be by the ECM at the back of the engine above the transmission (at least thats where they mount it on direct drives).

Good luck, hopefully it's something simple.

So your oil level was up where it should be when you checked for water?

How about your tranny fluid???

Godd advice on checking the engine diagnostics if you have that available on the dash. I think your 06 has that feature?

Your alarm will only sound for certain parameters...eg engine temp, oil pressure. Other possibility is a bad sender, but getting the alarm after running w/no impeller sounds like you have an issue somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a similar problem with my 2006 LSV. I am getting a check engine notice and boat went into limp mode. We unplugged fuel sensor, knock sensors, and it seemed to cure the check engine notice. Ran it again and after 4 starts check engine notice came on, but boat did not go into limp mode. Went to LCD view: Service - Diagnostics - Gauges? This is all it said?

Any ideas? No indmar/malibu dealer for 100 miles or so.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an 06 Wakesetter VLX 320 here in Hong Kong and just yesterday had the a similar problem.

No issues for first couple hours wakeboarding, then each time we come back to idle, the 'CHECK ENG' warning comes up on the LCD and we are in Limp Mode. Gauges indicating normal Temps and Pressures. Cancel warning, shutdown, start up and the warning is gone. Until after the next pull when we come back to idle the very same symptom occurs.

Our regular mechanic 'suspects' possible low fuel pressure at idle, (our boat idles 650-700rpm) So that may be first place to look.

I have asked Malibu dealer to come over later in the week for a proper diagnostic. Will let you know if he digs anything up. Until then, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 4 years later...

Ok. I have 2005 sunsetter xti with 5.7l indmar. Summarized the boat and about hour into our cruise the alarm under the dash started beeping and display under speedo dial stated check engine. I shut motor down. Oil pressure, water temp, voltage all fine. 20 minutes later I started it up and no alarm until I was in idle and near dock. Now the alarm is on at cold start and doesn't go away. Engine in limp mode. Any ideas of what I should look for. I put a mefi 4 codemate reader on the ecu and it stating code 81... I've looked at all engine fuses and connections and not seeing anything wrong. Jeff

code 81 is; 1) fuel pump driver circuit failure

2) injector driver circuit failure

3) sensor reference voltage out of range