Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sport Survey

FIC

Just wondering what do you do the most of when on the water, 2 ski,wakeboard,wakesurf,kneeboard,trick ski,barefoot,tubing,cruising or other?

Our family usually wakeboard, kneeboard, wakesurf and slalomn.

Just wondering what do you do the most of when on the water, 2 ski,wakeboard,wakesurf,kneeboard,trick ski,barefoot,tubing,cruising or other?

Our family usually wakeboard, kneeboard, wakesurf and slalomn.

99.9% Hydrofoil

.1% Slalom Ski

Terry

98% slalom, 1% trick, 1% wake.

My kids have different mixes. My son is 40% slalom, 30% trick, 30% wake.

I don't count tubing when the lake is too rough to do anything else.

I usually start the day with a good barefoot run. Then after that maybe do a little footin' followed by a little more barefooting. I then finish it up with another good barefoot run. Good day. :)

Edited by areamike

I would say it is 75% wakeboarding, 10% wakeskate, 10% surfing (probably will be a little more this year), then the rest is slalom, knee, tube, or sometimes we just try to body surf the wake. When we get bored anything goes. Sometimes we just try and run down the dock as the boat is going and try flip the wakeskate around then land on it clean and ride away (its actually more fun when you fall).

50/50 wakeboarding and barefooting. First I wakeboard 'till I'm spent. Then pull the kids, my wife, etc. Then set the boom up and foot off a short rope until every last ounce is gone. Man, that's a good day. This year it'll be long line, no boom...I can feel it. Eventually I'll be adding surfing to that equation.

For the foiling comments here, I assume foiling is a lot of fun. How difficult is learning and what aspects make it a blast. Is an older foil worth $500? They appear not to break down like a ski tends to, comments? Thanks in advance.

For the foiling comments here, I assume foiling is a lot of fun. How difficult is learning and what aspects make it a blast. Is an older foil worth $500? They appear not to break down like a ski tends to, comments? Thanks in advance.

It is a lot of fun..... on a lot of different levels. Kids & grannys love it because it's low impact & easy to pull. 20 something yr old guys like it because it can be extreme. Everyone likes it because it can be done in choppier water than other disciplines. The thrill of flying the foil for the first time is second to nothing else. Everyone loves it & gets instantly hooked. And learning to jump or flip is a blast.

Oh yea, I like it because it's about the only way a 44 yr old with a beer gut is gonna show up the younger guys. :yahoo:

They do break down, but no where near as small & lightweight as a ski or board of any kind. The foil assembly pulls out of the seat/board assembly. The size & weight of the thing (30 - 40 lbs) is definitely a trade off.

One of my boarder friends has been riding a SkySki for a little less than a year now. Last week he landed his first wake back roll. He's like 35 yrs old. And he's never landed any inverts on a board. His learning curve was a bit accelerated because of his own experience boarding & the 2 or 3 of us he hangs out with who have already been riding a while. But it's not unusual.

A $500 foil is really really low. Probably a little banged up, sun bleached, maybe really old technology. I would suggest planning on spending about $1000 to get into it. And wouldn't be surprised to see you upgrading before your 2nd or 3rd year.

Several of us will be at the WOW at Oroville in June. We'd love to show you more. Or if you PM me, I might be able to help you find a local rider in your area.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Thanks Bill, you indicate $1k to get in, does that mean an additional $500 over the used board I commented on or for a typical foil? I have all the prerequisits (ski/footing/boarding equip) so I am not sure of any additional needs. I assume one uses either a wakeboard rope or ski rope at a particular length.

Wat are the technology updates? Does the brand Airchair sound correct and if so, are these decent foils? The unit in question sounds like a '90's foil around the introduction of the sport. Appreciate the feedback.

Thanks Bill, you indicate $1k to get in, does that mean an additional $500 over the used board I commented on or for a typical foil? I have all the prerequisits (ski/footing/boarding equip) so I am not sure of any additional needs. I assume one uses either a wakeboard rope or ski rope at a particular length.

Wat are the technology updates? Does the brand Airchair sound correct and if so, are these decent foils? The unit in question sounds like a '90's foil around the introduction of the sport. Appreciate the feedback.

Yea, a $500 AC would be a pretty old one, probably powdercoated cast aluminum foil, plastic seat tower, minimal padding in the seat, belt & bindings. This is what we were riding when I started in 1993, but not what beginners usually buy any more. Now days they are padded better, have much better quality belts & bindings, billet aluminum foils, newer design wings, seats with suspension built in, etc.

AC was the first. But there has been a huge movement to SkySki since they came out in 1998. If you ever go to an event, there are literally like 95 SS riders for every 5 AC riders. The patents expired about a year ago & there may be newer foil companies some day. But the $1000 I mentioned is a descent used foil. Your boat, suit, vest & wakeboard rope are fine with it. We do use some other equipment too, but not really necessary for getting started. ie; quick release, helmet, racks, etc.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky