Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

vinyl stains

I am getting stains on my rear sundeck. After searching the forums I think it may be the glue or the adhesive bleeding thru from the bottom. Can someone confirm? I recently purchased a new boat cover 6 mo ago and heard the the black cover sometimes creates heating issues that cause the orangeish stains. My previous cover was light gray and never experienced this problem. Unfortunately we moved to a new house and my Bu wont fit in the garage. So the last couple of years it has been in my driveway. I tried seat soap with stiff brushes, letting the cleaner soak and nothing seams to work. It appears that it is below the vinyl but not sure. I also know that sunlight fades the stains because when I was changing the oil a few weeks back the stains were almost unnoticeable. I just dont not want it to elevate to permanent stains when the warranty has expires.

post-2322-127390043379_thumb.jpg

post-2322-127390059496_thumb.jpg

I am also wondering if it in-fact is the heat generated under the cover...would placing a white towel between the cover and the vinyl help....just a thought.

on one of my seats I have these 6 little orangy spots that have come up, can not figure it out and can not get them out....I will take a few pics and post as i think the glue thing might be the answer. I looked for rust drips etc, there is no rust.....boat is new with 30 hours on it (already this year Yahoo.gif .....

I am getting stains on my rear sundeck. After searching the forums I think it may be the glue or the adhesive bleeding thru from the bottom. Can someone confirm? I recently purchased a new boat cover 6 mo ago and heard the the black cover sometimes creates heating issues that cause the orangeish stains. My previous cover was light gray and never experienced this problem. Unfortunately we moved to a new house and my Bu wont fit in the garage. So the last couple of years it has been in my driveway. I tried seat soap with stiff brushes, letting the cleaner soak and nothing seams to work. It appears that it is below the vinyl but not sure. I also know that sunlight fades the stains because when I was changing the oil a few weeks back the stains were almost unnoticeable. I just dont not want it to elevate to permanent stains when the warranty has expires.post-2322-127390043379_thumb.jpg

post-2322-127390059496_thumb.jpg

So you're still under warranty..?? My '06 just expired a couple weeks ago, so if you are still under warranty then you better get it to your dealer before it expires. Based on the pics, your situation is extreme!! I noticed mine were discolored yellow and Malibu replaced them.... then I bought a black cover and have not had issues yet. I think this was an issue (sunapd glue bleeeding through) in our model year but not sure it was related to black covers..

Edited by Ndawg12

New development on Saturday. I took the bu out for the first trip of the season and about 4 hours out on the lake the stains were all but gone. you had to look very hard to find something resembling a stain. Definitely seems like what I have been reading about here on the forums. Still none the less I will have my local dealer take a look because my warranty doesn't expire for another 2 years. I purchased the extended.

You guys all have much newer boats and are handling it very well. Mine is a 2002 Sporty and I just picked it up Sun and the first thing I attacked was the stains, I thought it was mold discoloring from the inside of the seat but I like the glue theory too. All I know is that it is garbage and I don't like it. is there any way of solving/cleaning the problem please let me know. On the white I have been pretty successful with a bleach soaked WHITE rag setting on the stained area for a very long period of time 12-14 hours, but what to do on the colors.

You guys all have much newer boats and are handling it very well. Mine is a 2002 Sporty and I just picked it up Sun and the first thing I attacked was the stains, I thought it was mold discoloring from the inside of the seat but I like the glue theory too. All I know is that it is garbage and I don't like it. is there any way of solving/cleaning the problem please let me know. On the white I have been pretty successful with a bleach soaked WHITE rag setting on the stained area for a very long period of time 12-14 hours, but what to do on the colors.

Be forwarned, bleaching your vinyl like that will cause premature deterioration and cracking in the vinyl, ultimately resulting in early replacement. NEVER use bleach on vinyl, unless you like paying to have it replaced every couple of years.

VLX Ronnie - I always put towels between my black tight fitting snap down cover and the vinyl everytime I cover the boat. To date no stains like the photos above. If nothing else it reduces the cover rubbing against the vinyl cutting down on wear. Makes me feel better anyway...

Ed

Edited by ed obermeier

New development on Saturday. I took the bu out for the first trip of the season and about 4 hours out on the lake the stains were all but gone. you had to look very hard to find something resembling a stain. Definitely seems like what I have been reading about here on the forums. Still none the less I will have my local dealer take a look because my warranty doesn't expire for another 2 years. I purchased the extended.

I had the same thing happen to my 2004 LSV and when it was having other work done at the factory the guys there were all over it. I was asked a bunch of questions on how I stored the boat, out in the sun, cover, no cover, black cover and all that sort of stuff. In the end they told me it was a failure of the material and was a manufacturer's defect. This was two years ago since it was replaced and I have had no issues with that sort of staining at all. Mine did the same thing that you described where it would fade in and out. I never had it on the "white" part of the vinyl just on the grey. I will look and see if I have any pics of it. It looks exactly like what you have in your photos above. It does slowly and progressively get worse and the vinyl does seem to harden as it darkens.

My boat is always under a sunbrella cover (black) and it is under a metal boat house. The factory told me they did not believe the boat covers were causing the discoloration because the staining was coming from the underside of the vinyl. Heat was there main concern with leaving the boats covered out in the sun for extended periods of time. PM me if you want to talk about it.

-Dave

I had the same thing happen to my 2004 LSV and when it was having other work done at the factory the guys there were all over it. I was asked a bunch of questions on how I stored the boat, out in the sun, cover, no cover, black cover and all that sort of stuff. In the end they told me it was a failure of the material and was a manufacturer's defect. This was two years ago since it was replaced and I have had no issues with that sort of staining at all. Mine did the same thing that you described where it would fade in and out. I never had it on the "white" part of the vinyl just on the grey. I will look and see if I have any pics of it. It looks exactly like what you have in your photos above. It does slowly and progressively get worse and the vinyl does seem to harden as it darkens.

My boat is always under a sunbrella cover (black) and it is under a metal boat house. The factory told me they did not believe the boat covers were causing the discoloration because the staining was coming from the underside of the vinyl. Heat was there main concern with leaving the boats covered out in the sun for extended periods of time. PM me if you want to talk about it.

-Dave

Thats interesting windawg. I think the next time I have off I will call and head over to the dealer to inquire about repair. Thanks. In the meantime I will see if the discoloring comes back. It's covered now with towels in-between the cover and sundeck. :thumbup: That is as-soo-as the rain stops here in norcal. crazy weather :crazy:

Edited by VLXRonnie

Thats interesting windawg. I think the next time I have off I will call and head over to the dealer to inquire about repair. Thanks. In the meantime I will see if the discoloring comes back. It's covered now with towels in-between the cover and sundeck. :thumbup: That is as-soo-as the rain stops here in norcal. crazy weather :crazy:

Unfortunately I think it will come back, as was mentioned earlier it's the glue that's bleeding up through. Mine was covered under warranty and they asked me the same questions that Windawg stated. Talk real nice to your dealer and see if they can pull some strings for you since you're probably out of warranty. It's a known issue, just not sure if it's widespread enough for them to validate fixing it for free...good luck.

Here is what mine looked like:

I would put more but we are really limited in file size.

Yes the weather has been crazy, I am ready for some regular NorCal predictable summer days!

-Dave

post-3887-127429933877_thumb.jpg

I have very similar staining starting in the grey at the back corners. It is an 07 vlx that we store inside. We are the second owners. It was bought originally in 08 and we bought it in 09. I wonder if Malibu will cover it? I saw a 2009 at the dealer with the same problem.

I have very similar staining starting in the grey at the back corners. It is an 07 vlx that we store inside. We are the second owners. It was bought originally in 08 and we bought it in 09. I wonder if Malibu will cover it? I saw a 2009 at the dealer with the same problem.

That's not a warranty issue that needs to be paid for to be transferred, so depending on when the boat was actually delivered to the original owner, it should be covered if it's less than 3 years ago.

Edited by Ndawg12

Here is what mine looked like:

I would put more but we are really limited in file size.

Yes the weather has been crazy, I am ready for some regular NorCal predictable summer days!

-Dave

I have this same issue on my 07 on the same gray areas as yours and the OP. I actually have the same color scheme as yours, white with that same grey material on the ends and in the middle. After a few hours in the sun it all goes away. I have the expensive black cover from malibu and have washed that thing so many times thinking is was from the cover, but I think it's coming up from the vinyl.

purchased the extended warranty for an additional 3 years. hopefully the dealer will work with me to get this repaired. since the dealer that I originally purchased my BU from went T/U. (thankfully! I hated them!) :innocent:

• 1 year later...

on one of my seats I have these 6 little orangy spots that have come up, can not figure it out and can not get them out....I will take a few pics and post as i think the glue thing might be the answer. I looked for rust drips etc, there is no rust.....boat is new with 30 hours on it (already this year Yahoo.gif .....

I just removed my new cover(black) and noticed a bunch of tiny spots almost like paint splatter on the rear sun deck. I have noticed this problem before and asked a detailer about it and he said it may be a defect in the vinyl. However this is unlikely because it only happens in one area. My stereo guy noticed it right away and said it was from leaving the cover on too long and the atmospheric fallout seeping through the cover and damaging the vinyl. He said to try a product called Hot Sauce. I will see how it works. I have tried everything else. Has anyone else figured out what it may be or how to fix it. I do not want to replace the vinyl. It is an immaculate 2004 vlx.

i was on an 06 Wakesetter this summer.... same thing, but his dealer told him it was his factory cover, getting so hot from the sun while touching the rear sun pad for hours and hours....causing the discoloaration, by pulling glues or other chemicals up to the surface... exact same symptoms described and as in the pics....

One way to keep it from getting worse, is to ensure that canvas cover isnt too close or sit right on the vinyl when it is blazing hot....perhaps put a huge towel across the sunpad before you crank the cover down tight.

The newer covers have a soft felt lining inside the boat cover, only on the part that touches the sunpad, perhaps this is their way to keep that from happening...

My 2011 VLX is doing the same thing on the rear where the vinyl touches the cover. I though it was the cover and just ordered an Evolution cover, but know I am wondering if it is something coming from inside the vinyl. After some time out in the sun the spot goes away. BTW, mine has to sit in the drive way as well.

What the heck?

• 9 months later...

I just noticed the same issue on my 2011 VTX. Staining is on the white part of the back panels and on the top of the front panels in the bow, Seemed to occur where my evolution cover touched the vinyl. Staining also pronounced in the fabric stitches as well.

I am thinking the Boat sat out in the sun for one month or so heat and humity could have been the factors to cause the leaching of the glue/chemicals. Funny that it took a whole year for that to occur.

Calling my dealer on this one.