Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fabricated an FG platform

Ndawg12

dont remember if ya said this or not so if ya did then disregard and i apologize.....u can use screws to hold the wood for a frame but instead of using a silicone i would use a filler kinda like the west system 404 or u can make your own...also if you want a really good paint and have shine to it then you should look into interlux perfection its a 2 part paint thats what alot of people repaint boats with that dont want to re gelcoat....the interlux mite cost more than u really wanna spend on that project but also the rustoleum enamel looks really good if done right.....it also can be rolled on....look up roll and tipping and it will teach you how to get a great looking finish.....looks great by the way instead of redoing my teak i may end up jus doin somethin kinda like this.....oh yeah also if you wanna take on any other projects like this or go back and build another one of these then you will be better off buying all your fiberglass supplies at fiberglass supplies ...better quality and will be way cheaper than buying the cheap made high price products from lowes.

Edited by infantrybu

Right on. Automotive trim adhesive tape by 3M is no joke. That stuff sticks and does not let go water, sun, heat, etc.

I would think the less (if any) screws through your epoxy into the wood the better.

I attached some "rubber bumper" just above my swim grid to protect the gel coat from "wakeboard chips".......I used 3M tape and I think the rubber bumpers will now be a part of the boat for ever.............

• 1 month later...

Nicely done, Nate. I had to go back in the thread to figure out why you were doin this every year now. :crazy:

Live & learn, huh. Hope this one works out better. Looks great.

martinarcher

Sweet! Looks good.

Dang- I wish my cover had Cory's logo on it. That must be something new Cory is doing to the covers now. It looks sweet! Reprsentin' Evolution. Rockon.gif

That thing looks good..Nice cover by the way can you tell us more about that??? :)

Thanks, as for the cover, it's an Evolution cover custom made by a man named Cory in Washington....what else would you like to know....smart a$$ :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So Nate, we're halfway thru the year now, how well did the deck hold up?

Structurally it's solid as a rock, but the coating under the top coat didn't cure properly and bleeds through, so it's ugly!! I just recoated it again and it looks alot better but I'm certainly in the market for a used factory FG platform, wife signed off on the PO, just gotta find one!!

Structurally it's solid as a rock, but the coating under the top coat didn't cure properly and bleeds through, so it's ugly!! I just recoated it again and it looks alot better but I'm certainly in the market for a used factory FG platform, wife signed off on the PO, just gotta find one!!

That stinks, in the pics it looks really good. The current thread about swim platform covers got me thinking about yours.

How much is a new FG platform?

That stinks, in the pics it looks really good. The current thread about swim platform covers got me thinking about yours.

How much is a new FG platform?

I'm not sure, I would guess from the dealer they would be 800-1k :dontknow: I saw a new one still wrapped in plastic change hands on here for $350 a year or so ago. I doubt I'll see another deal like that again, I asked for a little higher limit on my PO and it was approved :biggrin:

I'm not sure, I would guess from the dealer they would be 800-1k :dontknow: I saw a new one still wrapped in plastic change hands on here for $350 a year or so ago. I doubt I'll see another deal like that again, I asked for a little higher limit on my PO and it was approved :biggrin:

That would be a good deal. I'll keep an eye out too.

Tell her the old one is splintering and is infested with Emerald Ash borers. Bad for the kids. It's a good thing you got rid of it, you dodged a bullet!!

That would be a good deal. I'll keep an eye out too.

Tell her the old one is splintering and is infested with Emerald Ash borers. Bad for the kids. It's a good thing you got rid of it, you dodged a bullet!!

:biggrin: will do!

• 5 years later...

That deck looked great. did you every find a factory one?  I am now thinking about finding one for my new to me, old 98 Response.  More about keeping sealant off the bottom of my ski (prior owner always used Thompson's waterseal) than looks.  

On 3/21/2017 at 0:38 PM, sunvalleylaw said:

That deck looked great. did you every find a factory one?  I am now thinking about finding one for my new to me, old 98 Response.  More about keeping sealant off the bottom of my ski (prior owner always used Thompson's waterseal) than looks.  

Wow, rereading this put a smile on my face while shaking head :biggrin:  I assume I'll do the same in 5 years while reading about the projects I'm working on now.  

Yes I did end up finding a real OEM FG platform, but not without issue.  Someone tipped me off on a dealership liquidation that had a few platforms laying around.  They had one for an 07vRide and it fit perfect, only problem was that it was red.  Nothing some tape and rattle paint and clear couldn't take care of.  I still talk with the current owner and he says it still looks good.  It was $400 shipped to my door.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Ndawg12 said:

Wow, rereading this put a smile on my face while shaking head :biggrin:  I assume I'll do the same in 5 years while reading about the projects I'm working on now.  

Yes I did end up finding a real OEM FG platform, but not without issue.  Someone tipped me off on a dealership liquidation that had a few platforms laying around.  They had one for an 07vRide and it fit perfect, only problem was that it was red.  Nothing some tape and rattle paint and clear couldn't take care of.  I still talk with the current owner and he says it still looks good.  It was $400 shipped to my door.

That would be my favorite option if I could find one.  How much was it?  And I can't remember, was your boat a Response?

Edited by sunvalleylaw

$400 shipped and I had an 06 vRide, I sold my teak to Michigan Boarder for his 94 Echelon and I believe it fit really well.  So you should have lots of options.

22 minutes ago, sunvalleylaw said:

That would be my favorite option if I could find one.  How much was it?  And I can't remember, was your boat a Response?

Edited by Ndawg12
  • Like 1