Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fabricated an FG platform

Ndawg12

So where can I get my hands on "TMC" stickers? I would really like to have some.

Pony up $25(decals) or $50(decals and a TMC t-shirt) for a paying membership. It's a small price to pay annually for all the great advice gained from here and the money helps maintain and upgrade the site :thumbup:

Great looking platform Nate! That turned out real nice. Can't wait to see it on the boat and on the water.

Pony up $25(decals) or $50(decals and a TMC t-shirt) for a paying membership. It's a small price to pay annually for all the great advice gained from here and the money helps maintain and upgrade the site :thumbup:

:plus1:

I truly didn't mean for this thread to be angled at me showing off my work on the platform but I'm truly ecstatic about how this turned out. FWIW I ended up putting my extra decal on the windshield to the right of the driver, it's a start.... Anyways, here's a couple pics in my driveway, I'll post a few on the water tomorrow.

The lifespan of this platform is still to be determined, I think it depends on how well the industrial silicone holds up around the brackets, but seeing an 8 month project (I had a son in that time frame and money was tight) finally come together is an awesome feeling. Hindsight is 20/20 and there's a few things I would do differently but overall I'm very pleased :thumbup:

For some reason the blue on the deck looks a shade lighter than the boat but in person it's super close.

post-8316-127865198242_thumb.jpg

post-8316-127865199324_thumb.jpg

Looks really good. My guess is only you will notice any little imperfections in it compared to the old one or the boat. Everyone else will just enjoy it. :rockon:

Hope it gives you many years of no/low maintenance lookin great!!

I think I know what you feel like anytime you see my boat pics. They look a lot alike, but still little things are different.

Thanks Bill but I will forever tease you about not having the pad for me right when I needed it, and having to pay 2x as much for the hydro-turf (which appears to be a great product BTW) :biggrin:

Edited by Ndawg12

Hehe, no sweat. Believe me, my wallet is hatin the fact that I can't get it any more too. I just passed up an order for a dozen sheets today. :Doh:

Having just gotten into the paddleboards recently, it's killin me that we found another market to push the stuff..... but I can't get it.

Got the SS rubrail put on, gonna order some hydroturf soon but I need to know, would you put this decal on here, other recommendations??

The platform looks great!

What did you use for the rubrail? And how is it attached?

I would like to add a SS rubrail to my fiberglass platform, I hit the dock a few weeks ago picking up a rider, I keep forgetting about that big thing sticking out of the back of the boat.

Thank you!

The platform looks great!

What did you use for the rubrail? And how is it attached?

I would like to add a SS rubrail to my fiberglass platform, I hit the dock a few weeks ago picking up a rider, I keep forgetting about that big thing sticking out of the back of the boat.

Thank you!

Thanks, I used a 3/4" flex chrome that I found at Autozone. It all ready has 3M adhesive on it. I was leary about how well it hold but you certainly can't tear it off with just your hands or everyday use. But time will tell how well it holds up over the long haul...

• 5 months later...

Update: I'm an idiot. This platform failed miserably. I siliconed the screws and bracket but apparently not well enough and water leaked in, the wood swelled, and busted out the fiberglass and the macropoxy coating. And I had all ready sold my teak!!

Here is attempt #2 taking shape. I might regret using wood again but I'm trying to keep costs down, actually this one will cost me less than $50 as most of the materials were "laying around". Wood structure with metal bracing covered with 1/4" plastic-type sheating on the top and bottom. Waterproofing with several layers of coal-tar epoxy. I will be finishing with white macropoxy and covered with hydroturf and trimmed with a ss rubrail again.

P1030491.jpg

You might want to put a few screws on the chrome trim. You could counter sink the holes in the trim so the screws will be flush with the trim and not snag anyone. That should keep it attached. If it is just adhesive holding it on I doubt it will last long.

The deck looks great, nice work.

Kris

You might want to put a few screws on the chrome trim. You could counter sink the holes in the trim so the screws will be flush with the trim and not snag anyone. That should keep it attached. If it is just adhesive holding it on I doubt it will last long.

The deck looks great, nice work.

Kris

:blush: it is $17 flex chrome from Autozone. It uses 3m adhesive and it was an absolute bear to remove of the old one so I think it will hold up a few seasons.

martinarcher

:blush: it is $17 flex chrome from Autozone. It uses 3m adhesive and it was an absolute bear to remove of the old one so I think it will hold up a few seasons.

Right on. Automotive trim adhesive tape by 3M is no joke. That stuff sticks and does not let go water, sun, heat, etc.

I would think the less (if any) screws through your epoxy into the wood the better.

Edited by martinarcher

And I had all ready sold my teak!!

No, you "converted them" into trailer tires.

I feel guilty. I hope this one holds up for you. And my old teak is already spoken for - my 6th grader wants me to make a coffee table out of it for the basement X-box area.

martinarcher

No, you "converted them" into trailer tires.

I feel guilty. I hope this one holds up for you. And my old teak is already spoken for - my 6th grader wants me to make a coffee table out of it for the basement X-box area.

I always through a teak deck would be a sweet coffee table. Thumbup.gif