Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fabricated an FG platform

Ndawg12

How often will it be above water?

About the same size as our teaks, so..?? What is the concern?

If it falls off after a couple outings, oh well, just don't want to look like a d-bag with it on there... I'm getting old so I don't know what's "cool" these days. Not sure you (Bill) can help me either :tease2:

Edited by Ndawg12

About the same size as our teaks, so..?? What is the concern?

If it falls off after a couple outings, oh well, just don't want to look like a d-bag with it on there...

Just that it might last longer, or be seen more, if it were higher on the transom.

Just that it might last longer, or be seen more, if it were higher on the transom.

That's the other question, I will have 2, one on each side of the transom just above the rubrail(after I remove the superbrightleds decal), and then possibly one in the middle of the platform..????

post-8316-127390221574_thumb.jpg

I would def. ditch the super bright led sticker.

Having the crew sticker on the swim platform is pretty stealth but, might not stay on there too long with all the water it's gonna see.

The one on the transom looks clean but, I wouldn't have the same sticker on the back of my boat twice,

Since these stickers are so hard to come by, I'd put it somewhere where lots of people can see it including you.

I've always thought of putting one on the top horizontal tower bar facing rearward.

Having the crew sticker on the swim platform is pretty stealth but, might not stay on there too long with all the water it's gonna see.

The one on the transom looks clean but, I wouldn't have the same sticker on the back of my boat twice,

Since these stickers are so hard to come by, I'd put it somewhere where lots of people can see it including you.

I've always thought of putting one on the top horizontal tower bar facing rearward.

True, and I'm thinking about putting 3 on the back :crazy: I'm leaning towards just removing the superbrightled decal and replacing it with something...I need to buy more gear or something, I don't have any other cool decals!!

Just leave the one crew sticker only. Polish out the other side if necessary.

There are two groups of too many stickers we regularly make fun of.

1) Dodge Ram owners. Apparently you can never have too many Ram head logos, Hemi logos, or Dodge logos on one vehicle. Two years ago we had a truck in that had 49 additional logos on it. Yeah, in addition to the stock ones.

2) Tuner car owners. Yeah, I have a modified import. No stickers. Even debadged it. But we laugh like heck at the wish lists on the side of some of these cars. V-Tech on a Neon? AEM on a Cobalt? Nismo on a Hyundai? They don't even make stuff for your car, why do you put their sticker on it?

Keep it clean, brudda. If they sponsor you, then you have a reason to advertise.

And of course, :werule: so that ones fine.

Put the extra one on the boat trailer, truck (or wife's car), so when your rig is in the parking lot, people know you are with the crew.

I have one on my truck and trailer; which came in handy one weekend a few years back.

My truck and trailer were in the lot at Oroville and Rick (a crew member, "Ricnvic") saw that my trailer wheel bearing was leaking. He noticed my stickers and told VLXJeff(a long time crew member)that he saw a crew members rig had an issue. In-turn, Jeff told me about leaking wheel hub.

Thanks Dudes(Jeff & Rick)!! :clap:

Put the extra one on the boat trailer, truck (or wife's car), so when your rig is in the parking lot, people know you are with the crew.

I have one on my truck and trailer; which came in handy one weekend a few years back.

My truck and trailer were in the lot at Oroville and Rick (a crew member, "Ricnvic") saw that my trailer wheel bearing was leaking. He noticed my stickers and told VLXJeff(a long time crew member)that he saw a crew members rig had an issue. In-turn, Jeff told me about leaking wheel hub.

The Bravada and the Saturn are all ready rockin' the tmc decal :biggrin: The trailer is a great idea though!!

If I saw a trailer with a TMC sticker on it with a bad hub; I would have pulled one of my extra hubs out of my tool box and installed it right then and there. Then Jeff doesn't have to put down his beer to answer the phone or VHF radio. Sheesh.

BTW Nate,

Are you gonna tell us how you made that platform? Give us some more pics? Write an article? It looks good in the pics.

Agreed, don't put the same stickers in the same general location. The trailer or car are good ideas.

Agreed, let's see more platform photos. I painted the teak platform on the Sportster I used to have. I forgot to put a protective coat/finish over the paint, so the paint just rubbed off over the summer. SS rail makes your platform look better, I wish I thought of that.

I like the idea of the rub rail around the platform. I think I might have to look into doing it on my platform, it keeps getting bumped by other stupid boat operators at havasu.

If I saw a trailer with a TMC sticker on it with a bad hub; I would have pulled one of my extra hubs out of my tool box and installed it right then and there. Then Jeff doesn't have to put down his beer to answer the phone or VHF radio. Sheesh.

BTW Nate,

Are you gonna tell us how you made that platform? Give us some more pics? Write an article? It looks good in the pics.

It was my first time ever working with fiberglass....so it looks ok, but there's a reason that you can't see much of it in the pics I took :biggrin: I posted a few questions about working with fg and what kind of coating to use but didn't get much response, so I went at it pretty blindly. It will look alot better when I get the hydroturf mat on. I took on the project to kill time over the winter and an excuse to drink a few beers in the garage away from the wife and kid every now and then :biggrin:

I took my teak and traced on it 1/4 ply and added 2 inches from the transom to the edge. I used 2x8's to frame it and add support where the brackets will attach. I didn't mess with the hump in the middle or putting a lip on the back edge like the factory ones. I wrapped it with FG kits(resin, hardener, and fabric) from Lowes. I tried to incorporate the trap door but gave up and had to fill it in after much of the FG work was done. That's the main reason why it looks fugly right now without the mat on it. I used a macropoxy commercial/industrial coating from Sherwin Williams which they color matched for me. I wanted to spray it on but it was too thick for the sprayers we've got at work so I ended up rolling it on and gave it a "tennis ball" finish. Not happy about that but it's 95% covered or hidden anyways. Total I've probably got about $150 ($230 after the mat) in it, and lots of time but it's been fun....but I'm ready to be done. The rubrail is just a silver flex chrome trim that I found at Autozone for $20, if it falls off or the whole thing falls apart, oh well, it's been a fun, educational project, I'll just throw it away and put my teak back on and add it to the list of stupid things I've wasted time on :biggrin:

post-8316-12742830819_thumb.jpg

post-8316-127428309019_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ndawg12

I bet the trap door was a PITA.

Hindsight is 20/20, the way I was trying to do it was :crazy: I think I could make it work now, but I have to get in the water to operate the wedge anyways.

Seems like you could just fill in the gaps with some 1/2 thick wood like a wall, but still tough to get the vertical part straight up and down, especially on the 4th piece.

The door is good in April/November, that's about it.

• 1 month later...

You're going to take pics of the bubble mower on your boat tonight?Tease2.gif

ROFL.gif My eyes kept drifting to the bubble mower too. I can hear it right now as well as visualize the staggering toddler behind it.

It does look perfect, good call with the flex chrome.

You're going to take pics of the bubble mower on your boat tonight?:Tease3:

Nice job on the platform.

Ha! It wouldn't surprise if mom makes us take it out, what ever Jr. wants he gets!!

Nice! How are you gonna get thru the rest of the day?! :rockon:

I'm struggling, trust me!!

Looks Great!!!

Thank you sir.

ROFL.gif My eyes kept drifting to the bubble mower too. I can hear it right now as well as visualize the staggering toddler behind it.

It does look perfect, good call with the flex chrome.

:biggrin: check your spam mail again, I sent you a reply email again yesterday.