Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Picking up my new (used) Sporty

Scotty's Sporty

Well I am getting really close (2 more days)to picking up my 2002 Sportster LX, and I have been so excited that I have not been able to sleep! Then I joined up to The Malibu Crew (yes a bit prematurely)and read a thread where you guys just absolutely destroyed skylon towers, now I am bit nervous. My boat is coming with a Skylon tuna tower and I have to be honest I am little nervous now. Does anybody have anything good to say about them or are they really that bad?

Edited by Scotty's Sporty

Let me start with a big :welcome: . I can't help you with tower questions hard core slalom skiers could care less with towers. I will tell you you are getting a grate ski wake. and a fine boat.

Whatcha want a tower for. :Tease3:

Tower ? You don't need no stinkin' tower.

A sportster has a killer wake for waterskiing. Not so much for wakeboarding.

Find your local waterski club and a slalom course and join the (intelligent, handsome, athletic) crowd that gets their grins chasing six little buoys.

Something else that works great is get one of your friends to get a good tow rig (Duramax Xtra cab, etc.) to become part of your team and have him tow your boat to the lake every time to make it easy on yourself. He can deal with the rig and trailer parking and you can concentrate on keeping your boat shipshape. This can be another family also, as you will discover you do not always need 2 boats at the lake but are often looking to get up to the 3 people necessary to ski with the observer laws in place.

I have a nice old boat but I tow my 3 other buddies to the lake most of the time to get the minimum 3 on board.

First time I took my Bu out I was a nervous wreck. I was so afraid I missed something mechanical and it would break down I could hardly enjoy myself. The second time I took her out the nerves were gone and it’s been a thrill ever since. Forget what others have to say about likes and dislikes. Just enjoy the boat.

PS: That tower sucks. Sorry, I couldn’t resist. :lol:

Welcome to the Crew. The Skylon tower has had issues in the past mainly spider cracking the gelcoat because of the direct "fixed" and the flex of the tower itself. Structuraly I'm not aware of one failing so other than the gel coat cracks there's nothing to worry about.

Do you know what the previous owner used the tower for? How long has it been on there? If it's been on for a while and they actually used it and there's no damage then you're good to go!! Don't pull tubers with it!! Gelcoat damage can be way more expensive to fix than a tower, or even replacing a tower...

Well I have officially owned my first Malibu for about 36 hours (9 of which was driving back from Nashville where i had found it)(In the pouring rain might I add) and any or all of my concerns with the tower are now gone. I have nothing to caompare it to, but appearance, Holy Smokes! Quality or sturdiness I can't believe it could be more, truely unbelievable! I am goign to chalk this up to a lesson learned and that is, on here everything probably boils down to the Ford/Chevy argument or monster/skylon etc.,etc. If I had a Ford I would use it as a toilet for my dog, my skylon tower maybe people don't like them, but I know I do. So thank-you to the folks that replied to me, I agree with everything you said, I really like some of the info on here, No i don't have $50,000 BU but I love my boat and when I get out on for the first time it is going to be very difficult to come back to the ramp!

Well I have officially owned my first Malibu for about 36 hours (9 of which was driving back from Nashville where i had found it)(In the pouring rain might I add) and any or all of my concerns with the tower are now gone. I have nothing to caompare it to, but appearance, Holy Smokes! Quality or sturdiness I can't believe it could be more, truely unbelievable! I am goign to chalk this up to a lesson learned and that is, on here everything probably boils down to the Ford/Chevy argument or monster/skylon etc.,etc. If I had a Ford I would use it as a toilet for my dog, my skylon tower maybe people don't like them, but I know I do. So thank-you to the folks that replied to me, I agree with everything you said, I really like some of the info on here, No i don't have $50,000 BU but I love my boat and when I get out on for the first time it is going to be very difficult to come back to the ramp!

And that's what matters, good for you. The drive home with any new toy is so exciting, too bad it rained on you. Next time you see a thread like this you can interject: "Let me tell you about the Tuna..."

You have NO idea! I just went through this two days ago and only the sun setting could get me back to the dock. Enjoy your new Bu, You'll Love it. We all do!Yahoo.gif

Congrats, you’ll find that on this board how much one spends isn’t that important rather the camaraderie the honest helpful information is. Keep in mind you’re so stoked (buyer’s goggles) and should be but that doesn’t mean the information post on this topic isn’t true or factual. It’s not really a Ford/Chevy type thing as most addressed the issues w/ Skylon; In terms of design and aesthetics I would agree w/ that comparison. At any case get some pictures and go out and enjoy your new toy!!

Hay don't knock my :ford: I have owned them for 40+ years and had outstanding service out of all but one. The one may have had somthing to do with the driver. :biggrin:

:Tease3:

congrats, got my '99 sporty 2 years ago and its been nothing but flawless & I constantly get compliments on it, nobody can believe its going to be going on its 12th year on the water.

very easy to work on, a simple, inexpensive and effective design.

Sorry about the Ford thing everybody I got defensive I guess, The Malibu Crew Rocks and it is nice to have so many people with so much knowledge on the boat that is sitting in my garage (God I love saying that). Pics I am working on between working (job) and waxing not much time for computing.

Congratulations...what a great feeling, eh? Don't worry about negative comments. Chances are, whatever the problem is, it will happen to somebody else. Kinda like winning the lottery or getting hit by lightning. You can't spend your time thinking about it.

I always do have to laugh at some of the Ford/Chevy arguments because one of those two puts the food on my table. And there's a few people from the other side around here too! Ultimately, they are both making good vehicles now, and I can't knock somebody for their personal preference...but your dog's toilet??? C'mon, that's a little harsh.

Congratulations...what a great feeling, eh? Don't worry about negative comments. Chances are, whatever the problem is, it will happen to somebody else. Kinda like winning the lottery or getting hit by lightning. You can't spend your time thinking about it.

I always do have to laugh at some of the Ford/Chevy arguments because one of those two puts the food on my table. And there's a few people from the other side around here too! Ultimately, they are both making good vehicles now, and I can't knock somebody for their personal preference...but your dog's toilet??? C'mon, that's a little harsh.

Sorry badger, actually truth be told if I had to go get a new truck right now I would have a hard time staying off the F**d lot, to at least look, but don't tell no one that, boy would I be in trouble! LOL! The rain that has been falling for the last 2 weeks should be stopped for awhile, sunny and 80 thurs the bu will be getting wet. Now thats what I'm talking about!!!!!!!!!!!1

Hay don't knock my :ford: I have owned them for 40+ years and had outstanding service out of all but one. The one may have had somthing to do with the driver. :biggrin:

:Tease3:

Sorry Sixball, being the new kid on the playground it's not a good idea going up to the cool kids and kick em in the shins!