Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hydrofoil racks

brazosvet

I will be adding Air Boom hydrofoil racks to my boat this year. Never used racks before. Are they safe to carry the foil in when hauling down the road? Do any of you foilers do this, or is another transport method better?

I have never heard of anyone doing this but I guess it is possible, not wise, but possible. Get the covers, at least the foil cover, and keep 'em covered when they are not on the platform or in the water. My Skyskis do not come in the boat without a foil cover on them, even if they are going from the platform to the rack. The Air Boom racks will allow the foils to be covered in the racks. I just lay them down in the floor of the boat while the boat is going down the road.

I will be adding Air Boom hydrofoil racks to my boat this year.  Never used racks before.  Are they safe to carry the foil in when hauling down the road?  Do any of you foilers do this, or is another transport method better?

I will be adding Air Boom hydrofoil racks to my boat this year.  Never used racks before.  Are they safe to carry the foil in when hauling down the road?  Do any of you foilers do this, or is another transport method better?

I would vote for no. They are held in with little bungees... I don't trust 'em at speed.

Most wakeboarders don't carry their boards on their racks while towing. I wouldn't even consider towing with a hydrofoil in its rack. (However, my hydrofoil rack is not the greatest even on just the water.) Way too much money invested in the boat and the hydrofoil to risk damaging them.

Jeff/AirChair1

I have left my boards in racks for short slow speed (under 50) trips, but don't think I would do it if I was going any distance or a good amount of speed. It is just asking for trouble.

My gut told me NO also, however this new Sky Ski is a real pain to break down, so space is going to be a issue. I don't think I'll be taking the board off of the foil very often.

My gut told me NO also, however this new Sky Ski is a real pain to break down, so space is going to be a issue.  I don't think I'll be taking the board off of the foil very often.

What makes breaking down the new sky ski hard? Mine isn't that much of an issue. Do the new 2-piece foils take more effort than the older cast assemblies for some reason?

Jeff/AirChair1

Are you using the new Ratcheting Handles?

Handle Link

Ratcheting%20Handles.jpg

I've got a couple but have not put them on yet. There for the Shock Tower and the strut with the slot. Not sure what else they will work on. Call Jake @ Skyski and he can fix you up.

My gut told me NO also, however this new Sky Ski is a real pain to break down, so space is going to be a issue.  I don't think I'll be taking the board off of the foil very often.

What makes breaking down the new sky ski hard? Mine isn't that much of an issue. Do the new 2-piece foils take more effort than the older cast assemblies for some reason?

Jeff/AirChair1

I use the ratcheting handles, but the problem I am having is that the bolts with the knurled handles fit through the seat base very tight. It is very hard to get the bottom bolt through to start the handle on the other side. Lots of jiggling, twisting, and a few choice words. Am I doing something wrong? :unsure:

Edited by brazosvet

Yes, the strut has one hole through the strut about 5" down from the end or top of the strut, and one half hole on top of the strut. The lower bolt must be removed to remove the foil, but the upper bolt can just be loosened. Is this a poor design? Obviously it has been upgraded recently. I was told by the dealer that it is an '04 model.

Yes that is the new design. There was a problem with the slot design if you did not assemble it correctly. There are two bolts that do not come all the way out. They actually clamp the strut between the walls of the tower. There is a saftey pin that goes through a hole in the tower and a hole in the strut. Everything is fine if the strut bolts are tight and even OK if they are not and the pin is in place. The foil becomes almost unrideable because the strut/wings move around. The problem comes when the pin is lost or not reinstalled after assembly and bolts loosen up. There have been cases where the strut actually droped out of the tower and went to the bottom of the lake.

Make sure and check all your hardware when you ride. Make sure all the wing screws are tight. It's best to remove the screws from time to time and put a little anti seize on them. The stainless screws and aluminum do have a problem being in contact with each other.