Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Diff. between a 96 and 97 Sunsetter

SBR

Got a question for you guys. Are there any major diff. between a 96 and 97 Sunsetter? From what I have been able to find is that the 96 doesn't seem to have the Wedge and the dash and gauges are a little diff. Same hull though right? Also, is there a noticable diff. in driving the boat between the Mercruiser 285 carb motor and the 320 Monsoon fuel inj. motor? Is the Mercruiser motor a good motor? I know that the Monsoon gets good reviews, but haven't heard much about the Mercruiser. Outside of the Wedge, is there anything that would sway you to try and buy a 97 over a 96 if they both pretty much were equal boats(hrs,condition etc)? Thanks for the input

Got a question for you guys. Are there any major diff. between a 96 and 97 Sunsetter? From what I have been able to find is that the 96 doesn't seem to have the Wedge and the dash and gauges are a little diff. Same hull though right? Also, is there a noticable diff. in driving the boat between the Mercruiser 285 carb motor and the 320 Monsoon fuel inj. motor? Is the Mercruiser motor a good motor? I know that the Monsoon gets good reviews, but haven't heard much about the Mercruiser. Outside of the Wedge, is there anything that would sway you to try and buy a 97 over a 96 if they both pretty much were equal boats(hrs,condition etc)? Thanks for the input

same hulls - Yes

I would go with the '97 if it has the wedge and the '96 does not. Other than that, it's a toss up. Mercruiser is a decent engine. I have not heard anything bad about them.

I have a Merc and knock on wood, 13 years and going strong without issues. I wouldn't hesitate, especially if you don't have an indmar shop near you.

I have the Black scorpion though. You will notice a difference in power between a carbed Merc and the Monsoon.

Hands down the '97. The options are better and the monsoon being FI you'll appreciate the extra HP. I've skied behind two echelon's one w/ the Merc and the other the monsoon. I find that the 265hp Merc just can't hold the speed as good as the monsoon and the whole shot is no comparision. Not to say the Merc isn't a good engine, just in this case it's weaker and carbed.. IIRC the only diff was the 1gal larger gas tank in the '97.

I have a 97 with the 320 efi monsoon, awesome power. I've had carbed motors before and I will only go with fuel injection from now on, especially with the ethanol fuel we have now.