Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Should amps power up when connecting batteries?

When connecting my new batteries on my 08' LSV the amps turned on while the battery switch was off. Does this happen for anyone else or do you think it may be wired wrong? I called Malibu and they said it was probobly wired directly to the battery rather then through the switch as it should be. They said this could drain the batteries quickly if that is the case. THe dealer says it happened on another new boat he just worked on and it is normal. I'm confused, why would the stereo turn on if the switch is off? Can anyone help? Thanks so much, as always!!!!

my kickers will briefly go into protection mode when first connected to a battery, then shut back down. Do your amps stay on indefinitely when hooked up or you just see a couple of lights for a few seconds and then they turn off?

my kickers will briefly go into protection mode when first connected to a battery, then shut back down. Do your amps stay on indefinitely when hooked up or you just see a couple of lights for a few seconds and then they turn off?

Is your battery switch off when this happens? Yes, mine come on and then go off....I think.

The switch is a non issue -- aren't you connecting a power wire and a ground wire directly to a battery? The amp is not "on the switch" because it's hard wired right to the battery. At least that's how mine is set up. Actually, my whole stereo will work with the switch off, because of how I have it wired.

EDIT -- to actually "turn the amp on" the amp needs to receive a power signal from the headunit that tells the amp to come on. As long as the amp doesn't receive that signal, once it goes through its very brief flashing light sequence, it should be off and not drawing current.

Edited by shawndoggy

The switch is a non issue -- aren't you connecting a power wire and a ground wire directly to a battery? The amp is not "on the switch" because it's hard wired right to the battery. At least that's how mine is set up. Actually, my whole stereo will work with the switch off, because of how I have it wired.

EDIT -- to actually "turn the amp on" the amp needs to receive a power signal from the headunit that tells the amp to come on. As long as the amp doesn't receive that signal, once it goes through its very brief flashing light sequence, it should be off and not drawing current.

Ok I think I get it....but, first do you have any battery drain issues having it wired that way?

Shawndoggy...so the amp is wired to the battery which is why it comes on. However, the head unit is wired through the switch and that is what gives the amp the power signal to come on. With all of this in mind the amp is not drawing any current until it is given the "ok" to power on by the switch. Love it, thanks for the help.

My amps briefly powered up when I connected the battery cable even though the switch was off and the head unit was off. Same boat as yours. I can't explain it. My batteries would discharge in about a week if I forgot to turn the battery switch off. Since I could fix the problem by turning off the battery switch, the slacker in me never felt the need to track down the problem.

My amps briefly powered up when I connected the battery cable even though the switch was off and the head unit was off. Same boat as yours. I can't explain it. My batteries would discharge in about a week if I forgot to turn the battery switch off. Since I could fix the problem by turning off the battery switch, the slacker in me never felt the need to track down the problem.

So, it is normal I guess! Out of curiousity any issues with your boat? We were left stranded a few times by ours due to engine/electrical crap. Seems like we may be on the other side of it but always intereted in others experiances with the ol' LSV.