Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tubers Are Awesome!

aneal000

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aneal000

• Malibudude

• JohnDoe

• LouDoc

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Allz I know is that it looks way better than that sevylor thing somebody posted about a few months ago.

Chadellt85 on this site, was telling me the other day that he rode one of those and couldn't get more then a foot or so off the ground. Maybe he will chime in and tell more about it?

Here is a link to the Sevylor site to the thing called the Mantary LINK

I must be a bit of an adrenaline junky, but I think after a ride or two, I'd be bored with something like that. There is no new skill to learn etc.

If I'm tubing, I'd rather be going head to head with the boat driver on an old truck tube with the ski handle flapping in my face. Ok, so I haven't done that in 20 years... but I could if I wanted to.

A buddy of mine called the factory after I showed him this video. They told him the boat speed in the video is 27, but there was a 15-20 mph headwind. So I guess that raises the question what happens w/o the headwind. They also rated it for about 200 lbs, even though those in the video are lightweights. They said the pricing was $599, even though these guys are pre-ordering at $499: http://www.waterriders.com/Sportsstuff-Weg...be-P194C23.aspx

Edited by vette-ski
There is no new skill to learn etc. 

That's my basic problem with "tubes" in general. They take no skill to speak of, no physical "ability" either...just hang-on and hope you don't get hurt? No thanks. For kids...fine. Anything to make them smile and giggle but the product in question here looks unsafe for kids.

One other point, the driver (presumably) would control the flight attitude of the thing, right? Well, in order to do that would require that the driver be paying attention to the tube and not his/her driving. If I see one more boat driver turned around backwards watching their tube instead of where they are going, my head might explode. I better start carrying duct tape in the Bu. Crazy.gif

Ok, I finally got it to load (took alot longer than I expected). I can't believe that thing isn't going to lead to some serious injury. 27+ mph plus 20 ft high? some of the video shows that thing wavering from side to side - can't imagine what it must do with a stiff breeze. The lake they're on looks pretty calm.

The one silver lining will be that if this things takes off it may mean more tubers pick a straight line path! If I were on that thing I wouldn't want the boat driver to be varying my pull (sound familiar?). I wonder what rough water would do to control of that contraption.

The only other thing I'd be concerned with is whether it would be a total bore to watch it from the boat. It doesn't look like you get a view of the rider when that thing is in the air. Might be boring to stare at the underside of a flying tube while riding in a straight line down the lake. It also looks like it's a one person only activity.

It looks fun for a bit but I would call it a "Boat Eater" - that is - if you obey the

Wakeboarders Bible & board/ski while the water is smooth & then tube that

afternoon when the water is rough, while slamming along at 35 or so in the rough

water you can kind of watch screws coming out of your interior & hitting the carpet as you're looking down there for the steering wheel center cap that just fell off, not to mention the beers fizzing over into Stewerts Stainless Cupholders.

Check out this video.  The first kid in the video is a good friend of mine.  He's living large down in O'town and got hooked up to help film this little video.  He said he took a few super hard falls from way up!  btw, he said they were pulling him at 33 mph!

The Flying Tube

I'm having trouble getting the video, anyone else having problems. I want to see this action!

Check out this video.  The first kid in the video is a good friend of mine.  He's living large down in O'town and got hooked up to help film this little video.  He said he took a few super hard falls from way up!  btw, he said they were pulling him at 33 mph!

The Flying Tube

I'm having trouble getting the video, anyone else having problems. I want to see this action!

It took awhile before it started to download for me.

The Flying Tube

It's 48 Mb, so you have to be patient.

Even with quicktime, it's not quick. Let it load in the background or walk away and come back. Once it's loaded it will play automatically; replaying it takes no time once it's loaded. I spent a couple days thinking my firewall was blocking it - so I tried a bunch of variations. In the end, it's just an extremely slow download (at least on my DSL)

Did I see right, were they towing that thing off of the rear grab bar or low pylon mount? Why wouldn't you tow it with the tower?? Seems like it would be much easier to get it airborn that way.

It's a shame they didn't put more flight controls on it so you could control the side to side action better. Looks like the rider has pretty good control over altitude (as long as you're hanging on...)

I'm with the previous poster though, looks like after you've mastered it that it would get boring fast (about half way through day 1 I suspect). Great item to talk one of your "friends" into buying so you can go use it occasionally. It would be cool if the local jet ski rental shops pick them up so you could just borrow one for the day.

Oh, BTW, could they have picked more boring music??

It looks fun for a bit but I would call it a "Boat Eater" - that is - if you obey the

Wakeboarders Bible & board/ski while the water is smooth & then tube that

afternoon when the water is rough, while slamming along at 35 or so in the rough

water you can kind of watch screws coming out of your interior & hitting the carpet as you're looking down there for the steering wheel center cap that just fell off, not to mention the beers fizzing over into Stewerts Stainless Cupholders.

Make sure the beer is half empty and there won't be a problem with that. :)