Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Extreme Trailers. Any one have prob w/the tires

RAGGZ

Has anyone had a problem with the tires Extreme puts on the trailers. I have a huge beef with them and I am trying to see if any ony has delt with them on this. Thanks guys..

Has anyone had a problem with the tires Extreme puts on the trailers. I have a huge beef with them and I am trying to see if any ony has delt with them on this. Thanks guys..

What year is your trailer? The ones that came on my 09' are the best trailer tires I've had, Carlisle Sport radial.

What year is your trailer? The ones that came on my 09' are the best trailer tires I've had, Carlisle Sport radial.

I have an 07. You can only get the tires from Extreme. I'm not talking about just the brand. I'm talking about the size. Every tire place I have talked to have said the same thing. What the hell are they?

I have an 07. You can only get the tires from Extreme. I'm not talking about just the brand. I'm talking about the size. Every tire place I have talked to have said the same thing. What the hell are they?

Which wheels do you have? Are they the 17" wheels?

As far as I know, there should be no Extreme monopoly on tire size. Especially because they don't make tires, they buy them. Yes, there are plenty of threads on here about problematic trailer tires of many brands.

How about giving us the whole story to see if we can help with the actual problem?

Which wheels do you have? Are they the 17" wheels?

I think they are 16" I can't remember right off hand. Have you had problems with the powder coat?

I think they are 16" I can't remember right off hand. Have you had problems with the powder coat?

They don't offer a 16" rim I know of. What powdercoat are you talking about? The trailer is painted.

As far as I know, there should be no Extreme monopoly on tire size. Especially because they don't make tires, they buy them. Yes, there are plenty of threads on here about problematic trailer tires of many brands.

How about giving us the whole story to see if we can help with the actual problem?

Well at first I need to just change one out. So I start looking for the same size. Know one had the same. Discount, or any of the 20 or so places out there had the size. I got the same recation from everyone. What the hell is that size. Thats not even a trailer tire. So I then called Extreme and had one shipped to me. All was good at that point the tire was cheap and it landed on my doorstep the next day. It wasn't until we were on the way to Parker and had a blowout in the middle of know where. Well we had to limp into El Centro. Because Extreme is the only one in the country who this size. We had to but 5 new ones. But because of the tires the fender nearly ripped off and messed up the powder coat bad. It has to all with tires. When I called paridise they told me that they have a bunch of the same compaints.

whats the tire info? make, model, and size? I've got to check this out.

I'm trying to get that info. I can't remember but I will find it.

I've got an 07 Extreme trailer as well. When I hit a curb and damaged the rim and blew out my tire, I had to go through the same search you did. The wheels and tires to match were hard to find, and I ended up calling Extreme directly and having a whole new rim/tire combo sent to me. They offered me a used wheel that they had laying around, which saved me some money. So I can't say anything bad at this point. I believe the tires are a bit wider than most trailer tires, and not a lot of shops keep similar sized tires in stock. It may not be the easiest tire to find, but a spare usually works until they can get you a new one. They have good customer service IMO and have always helped me quickly when I needed it. Instead of getting on here and flaming Extreme for not catering to your exact needs, why not just call them and figure out what options you have for another tire that will not affect the wear pattern of the remaining 3. That may have been the best option until the other 3 needed to be replaced.

I've got an 07 Extreme trailer as well. When I hit a curb and damaged the rim and blew out my tire, I had to go through the same search you did. The wheels and tires to match were hard to find, and I ended up calling Extreme directly and having a whole new rim/tire combo sent to me. They offered me a used wheel that they had laying around, which saved me some money. So I can't say anything bad at this point. I believe the tires are a bit wider than most trailer tires, and not a lot of shops keep similar sized tires in stock. It may not be the easiest tire to find, but a spare usually works until they can get you a new one. They have good customer service IMO and have always helped me quickly when I needed it. Instead of getting on here and flaming Extreme for not catering to your exact needs, why not just call them and figure out what options you have for another tire that will not affect the wear pattern of the remaining 3. That may have been the best option until the other 3 needed to be replaced.

I agree they've always provided me with excellent customer service as well.

NWIH am I going to have an odd sized tire on my trailer. ESPECIALLY without a spare... (says the man with the odd sized spare under his truck...)

NWIH am I going to have an odd sized tire on my trailer. ESPECIALLY without a spare... (says the man with the odd sized spare under his truck...)

The problem I have is that Extreme puts on a size of tire that isn't availble from anyone but them. Hey I have know problem with trying to drive business your way. I have a problem with is how often are you going to be with in driving distance to Extreme when your going to the river. Knowing that the majority of people who own a Malibu probably are not going to be using them at lake Irvine. Wouldn't you put a size that is common so when you are on a trip it's not going to be a nightmare to get it changed. As far as the customer service I don't have anything bad to say. Except for the time I ordered an $18 part and the tried to bill my card for $18,000 more than twice. I had to cancel my bank card. But other than that I don't have a beef with their service. They have always been nice. I guess what I'm hearing is that I should buy 5 spares at a time just to have on hand. On a 4 tire trailer when you get a flat on the road it's more than likely it going to be 2tires. So the 1 spare to limp in to the nearest shop is handy. Until you get there and they are scratching their head wondering what the heck this is. I love the trailer other than the tire issue. It's one of the best trailers I have had. My exact needs are that I want a tire that I can get a simular size. It's not out there. I guess it's tomuch to ask for. My bad..

The problem I have is that Extreme puts on a size of tire that isn't availble from anyone but them. Hey I have know problem with trying to drive business your way. I have a problem with is how often are you going to be with in driving distance to Extreme when your going to the river. Knowing that the majority of people who own a Malibu probably are not going to be using them at lake Irvine. Wouldn't you put a size that is common so when you are on a trip it's not going to be a nightmare to get it changed. As far as the customer service I don't have anything bad to say. Except for the time I ordered an $18 part and the tried to bill my card for $18,000 more than twice. I had to cancel my bank card. But other than that I don't have a beef with their service. They have always been nice. I guess what I'm hearing is that I should buy 5 spares at a time just to have on hand. On a 4 tire trailer when you get a flat on the road it's more than likely it going to be 2tires. So the 1 spare to limp in to the nearest shop is handy. Until you get there and they are scratching their head wondering what the heck this is. I love the trailer other than the tire issue. It's one of the best trailers I have had. My exact needs are that I want a tire that I can get a simular size. It's not out there. I guess it's tomuch to ask for. My bad..

So what is the size?

my 06' trailer had 04' tires on it (from the factory). They lasted till last year and 2 of them failed on back to back trips even though the tread looked good still. 2 years discrepancy isnt too bad but I sure wish they would have put 06' tires on it.

I pulled my 08 out of the garage and cleaned it up when I noticed cracking on the side walls of my tires. When I looked at the DOT tires were made in the 14th week of 05. The trailer came with 235/60/r14 Ultra Sport ST. I went to Costco and bought a set of Michelin 215/70/r14 they had a $70.00 off coupon. Tires are not ST but are rated for 1500 each. Hopefully with a little 303 I can get more than two seasons out of them.

We've lost one tire and everyone I know that has these trailers looses one now and again(maybe 5-7 between us all over 4 years) between 4 trailer that I can think of. I think the issue is with the trailers not having any suspension. The tires carry all the load and travel. Just my .02

I also had a problem trying to find a tire for my extreme trailer which had 235/60r14 on them. I couldn't seem to pull that tire up from anywhere online, and the tire itself had no markings of who made the tire. I gave up and just bought one from Extreme for $150 which is ridiculous. I think extreme know this and gets away with it a a lot. Once I received the tire I noticed it came from carlisle and within a minute online I found the tire on their site. I'm pretty web savvy and couldn't find this tire anywhere online before I knew who made them. I had to buy another tire and got one for $8x.xx online. I have to say these tires are some of the best tires I have ever had on a trailer. I had to change them for dumb reasons like a nail in the sidewall, but overall these things are great.

Carlisle ST 215/75R 14 Load Range C has a load rating of 1870# per tire. 50 max psi and is the equivalent of a 6 ply.

One of the advantages of a "C" rated tire is less chance of taking a nail through the carcass.

Another is low rolling resistance when moving the trailer by hand in your garage.

The reason some trailers have this small 14" tire is because Extreme makes a low profile edition trailer. the 215/75R14 would be pushing the limit's of room in the wheel well of these particular trailers.

Extraordinaire, Both the tires mentioned, the 215/75R 14 and the one on my trailer, have the same load range of C. The 215 actually has a higher rating at 1870# compared to 1820# on the 235. I don't believe one tire over the other can stop a nail coming trough it.

Me dealer ordered my trailer this way so I didn't have a choice, but after towing it for coming on 4 seasons I definitely think the low profile trailer and tires have a much better ride than my previous trailers with taller and skinnier tires. The boat is sitting lower and the tires don't flex as much as the taller tires providing a better tow in my eyes. A skinnier tire might be easier to maneuver in a garage by hand, but I'll take the better ride quality any day.

To clarify:

a 215/75 r 14 tire will have a softer ride than a 235/60 r 14.

The reason is sidewall flex.

a 235/60 has a rolling diameter of 25.1" and a crosswall section of 9.5". At 60% of the crosswall section the 235/60 has a sidewall height of 5.7"

a 215/75 has a rolling diameter of 26.7" and a crosswall section of 8.5". At 75% of the crosswall section the 215/75 has a sidewall height of 6.375".

The additional sidewall height allows the 215/75 to flex more than the 235/60. The issue is whether or not you have adequate fender height to accomodate the additional sidewall height.

Regarding road hazard issues I can say this from many years of practical experience: On my trucks I tried lower profile tires with a "C" or lower rating several times. I had considerably more puncture/ road hazard mishaps with these lower load rated tires. I was around construction projects in my business as a lumber dealer. Most of the time I buy Michelin tires including my 3 vehicles today. I have switched back to Load Range "E" tires some time ago. I have eliminated any flats. Maybe it's just luck.

Same thing on the boat trailer. I've been a trailer sailor of my own boats since 1972 (8 boats). I have never had a tire failure on my boat trailers. I tow my own boat 1500 miles each year. I owe this due to my habit of upgrading my trailer tires to the highest load range that will fit. I often had to raise the fender.

YMMV.

I have an 07 VTX! I bought the boat brand new in 08. I am only on my third season of boating. I have gone through 4 1/2. I say a 1/2 tire because i turned it into my spare because it got a nail. But regardless, the carisle tires that extreme puts on their trailers are expensive and very good tires. Although i have gone through hell figuring out why i was blowing out brand new tires and only traveling aprox. 200 miles a trip to my river house. Extreme ran me through all the loops of what I was doing wrong for each blow out, i fixed everything they told me to and was still getting blow outs. I was about to burn the dam thing to the ground i was so angry. I then spoke to a Carisle distributor over in Orange, Ca. He is one of the few left. He had been in the business for 30+ years. He told me the secret was that when you blew a tire, you need to buy two tires at the same time (from the same batch) and have them mounted on the same axle. He told me it would for sure fix my problem. The tire may be the same brand and same specs etc when you buy a single tire,but the older tire was not made at the same place/temperature etc and these things could very well effect the tires. I dont have the exact scientific explanation on how it works. But I did what he told me and I have driven over 2k miles so far on the same tires and have not had any issues. its all about keeping each axle from the same batch. It works. Let me know if you have any more carisle questions.