Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Change

So I changed the enging oil and filter in my 93 Skier yesterday. For some reason I was assuming the capacity was ~5.5 quarts. I was very surprised to only find abour 4 quarts in the engine??? It was showing full on the dip stick and after sucking the oil out the dip stick replacing the filter and re-filling I only put in about 4.25 quarts. It reads full on the dip stick and the oil pressure light is not on so Im assuming that its OK.

Can anyone confirm that a old skier with a 350 holds a little over 4 quarts?

PS whats up to everyone, I haven't be on for a while... gets pretty cold in Vermont and I think I forgot I had a boat :crazy:

Jeff,

My oil pan only has one drain plug, and its so close to the bottom of the boat I cant take it out... I posted about this last year and everyone recomended that I use a fluid extractor to remove the old oil. Im guessing that I only got 4 of the 5 ish quarts that it holds. If this is the case then I will have to change the oil more often. :Frustrated:

Jeff,

My oil pan only has one drain plug, and its so close to the bottom of the boat I cant take it out... I posted about this last year and everyone recomended that I use a fluid extractor to remove the old oil. Im guessing that I only got 4 of the 5 ish quarts that it holds. If this is the case then I will have to change the oil more often. :Frustrated:

have room for an oil drain kit?

The Chevy 350 should hold five quarts even, running less you are risking sucking the oil pan dry at high rpm's and destroying the bottom end of your

motor. :cry:

So I changed the enging oil and filter in my 93 Skier yesterday. For some reason I was assuming the capacity was ~5.5 quarts. I was very surprised to only find abour 4 quarts in the engine??? It was showing full on the dip stick and after sucking the oil out the dip stick replacing the filter and re-filling I only put in about 4.25 quarts. It reads full on the dip stick and the oil pressure light is not on so Im assuming that its OK.

Can anyone confirm that a old skier with a 350 holds a little over 4 quarts?

PS whats up to everyone, I haven't be on for a while... gets pretty cold in Vermont and I think I forgot I had a boat :crazy:

I had a 1987 malibu skier with a 350 mercruiser engine, 260 hp. For years I changed the oil by drawing it out the dip stick tube. The drain plug in the pan was not easy to get to. It only held 4 qts of oil with a filter. I moved the oil filter to a remote position next to the throttle cable by using extra hoses. Even with the extra hose, it only held a little more than 4 qts. Now I have an 04 malibu, and it holds 5.5 qts of oil. I hope this helps you, you are correct in your figures unless there was a change from 87 to 93.

Is your boat level (whatever that is...) when checking? If it's on the trailer and the jack is high, you might be getting a false reading. Perhaps check while afloat in the water and take a quart with you in case you need to add. Just a thought...

Edited by DIE2SURF

Super-simple... Drawing it out the dipstick tube does not get all the oil out of the pan. It is a 5qt system. Not a 4qt system. If you only get 4qts out - all that means is you only got 4 of the 5 quarts out. It doesn't mean you are running low on oil. If you take out 4 and put in 4, and it checks out on the dipstick as [full]...you're good to go. The only issue would be if the dipstick is not correct for the engine.