Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Rudder

Just purchased my first Bu, 98 Sunsetter LX, about two months ago and have spend more hours than I can count on this site! You guys have been great. Have my first question....

I need to replace my rudder and I've been looking around for replacement options and stumbled across this...

Rudder

The site says it was for a Gekko but the dimensions are nearly identical to the one I just pulled out...plus it's stamped MH, making me think it's a marine hardware rudder, same as OEM on my boat.

I'm not looking for absolute validation this will fit, but does anyone see any reason it wouldn't that I'm not thinking of?

Suggestion - take the rudder off your boat, trace the exact mounting plate including the mounting holes onto a nice thick piece of paper.

Mail it to me.

I live about 8 miles from Great Lakes Skipper aka Kendor Marine in Franklin, WI. I'll take your tracing over there and see if it's an exact match. Zero guessing at that point.

I can't. Are you replacing the rudder and the housing? Or just the rudder? Make sure the rudder post is the same diameter as your old one if replacing just the rudder.

Why r u replacing it?

Suggestion - take the rudder off your boat, trace the exact mounting plate including the mounting holes onto a nice thick piece of paper.

Mail it to me.

I live about 8 miles from Great Lakes Skipper aka Kendor Marine in Franklin, WI. I'll take your tracing over there and see if it's an exact match. Zero guessing at that point.

Outstanding! PM'd you.

I can't. Are you replacing the rudder and the housing? Or just the rudder? Make sure the rudder post is the same diameter as your old one if replacing just the rudder.

Why r u replacing it?

The rudder is slightly bent and the seals are leaking a bit. I could probably get by with just replacing the seals, but I've got everything torn apart right now anyway, so I thought I would go ahead and replace the rudder. I wouldn't necessarily need to replace the housing, but the price at GLS is cheaper than I can find for a rudder and seal kit (no housing)...assuming it fits of course!