Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ski/Surf Wake on 02-04 Sunscape 21 LSV

CrystalSurf

First off, I'd like to say that this is a truly great website. I've been looking to buy a boat for the past year and this site has provided a wealth of information.

I'm currently boat-less and looking to buy a Malibu. It needs to be a v-drive (my wife's one and only request). The primary uses will be skiing and wakesurfing. Ideally, I'd like a VTX, but the budget doesn't allow it at this time. My research on this site has led me to the '02-'04 Sunscape 21LSV as a good alternative. I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone has answers or thoughts on the following questions:

1) How good is the ski wake? As good as a VTX? I grew up skiing behind a 16' runabout with a 90hp outboard. Does anyone have pics of this ski wake?

2) Is this boat suited for wakesurfing? If so, what kind of ballast would you use? Any pics of surfing behind one?

3) Are there any known issues or problems with this model?

4) Are there any other models that I should consider?

Thanks very much!

I can't speak directly to the Sunscape 21 LSV but I can regarding the Sunscape 23' LSV. I just sold my 2003 (which I had ordered new from the factory) and replaced it with a 2010 Wakesetter 23 LSV with the diamond hull. We had owned two boats before our LSV, with our immediate prior boat being a direct drive, pure slalom boat (won't mention brand as it wasn't a Bu). When we went to purchase a V-drive, we wanted something that had a good slalom wake and a good wakeboarding/wakesurfing wake. We found it in the Sunscape (or the Wakesetter with the diamond hull). Best of both worlds. Although the slalom wake wasn't quite as good as our direct drives, it was great for a v-drive. In fact, at the time, the Malibu v-drive (Sunscape or Wakesetter) with the diamond hull was one of the only v-drives rated for slalom by Waterski Magazine. I am 180 lbs and with the wedge alone am able to surf without the rope. As my wife and kids are considerably smaller, they were able to surf behind it no problem.

If you grew up skiing behind an outboard, you will love skiing behind the Bu, especially getting up. Should pull you up no problem. Way more torque than an outboard.

If I were you, I would just look for a Bu with the diamond hull.

Hope this helped.

Thanks Roselaw1. Wow...surfing without any ballast...didn't realize it was possible! Which of the wedges did you have? When I am looking for a boat...should it matter? (Also, I'm not really sure of the difference between the manual wedge and the floating wedge.)

If anyone has pics of the wakes (ski/surf), I'd greatly appreciate it. There are none of these boats for sale in my area and so I'd have to drive over 10 hours to see one.

Thanks.

1) The conventional wisdom regarding the '02-'04 Sunscape is that, prior

to the release of the VTX, it offered the best slalom wake of any v-drive

on the market. I don't know how it compares heads up to the VTX now, but

I suspect it'd be an interesting side-by-side comparison.

2) Any inboard boat can be set up for surfing. It'll be easier with a

v-drive than a direct-drive because of the engine location, but you'll

need some bow ballast and a lot of surf-side ballast with the Sunscape.

3) I'm not aware of any issues with those year models of the Sunscape.

In '04, they introduced the gorilla fins, IIRC, which are an added plus

as far as handling.

4) Others may disagree, but I think that the '02-'04 Sunscape is your best

choice considering your planned usage. However, I believe that an '01

Sunsetter VLX, built on the SV23 diamond hull, would be a comparable boat.

FWIW, all of these boats, assuming that they had a wedge at all, had the

older fixed manual wedge. The power wedge wasn't offered until '06. The

floating wedge didn't come out until '07. So, unless someone retrofitted

an older Sunscape with a newer wedge, you're looking at the fixed version.

It has only two positions: locked in the up position when not in use, and

locked in the down position while in use. The floating wedge, on the other

hand, only locks in the up position. While in use, it free-floats, and the

flow of water across the foil, at different speeds and different configurations

of ballast, determines it's position.

Good luck with your search.

Edited by srab

I've also extensively researched the '02-'04 Sunscape models and '01 Sunsetter VLX as a replacement for my DD iRide. I just did not like the DD layout for the family and will be getting a V-Drive next time. I have the exact criteria as you state for my next boat. I ski and my wife surfs. I don't own a wakeboard, and we pull the kids on tubes.

I completely agree with what SRAB states before me. I was able to get my iRide to surf with only the stock center ballast and 2 400lb fat sacs, so I have to imagine I could do the same with the Sunscape.

You can get a very good slalom wake behind the LSV.

Put a person up front, then driver and observer and it is very good.

I will see if i can find some pictures.

MalibuNation

I have a 2003 21' LSV, fantastic all around boat.

Anything over 30 mph gives you a good to great skiing wake ... for a V-Drive.

Where are you located?

"A "Member" who's really a "Crew Cheif"" ... by now my $50 check should have made it to OR :-)

Thanks Roselaw1. Wow...surfing without any ballast...didn't realize it was possible! Which of the wedges did you have? When I am looking for a boat...should it matter? (Also, I'm not really sure of the difference between the manual wedge and the floating wedge.)

If anyone has pics of the wakes (ski/surf), I'd greatly appreciate it. There are none of these boats for sale in my area and so I'd have to drive over 10 hours to see one.

Thanks.

I will look for some video of either myself or one of my pals behind my 03' surfing with just the wedge. We usually would have about 6 people in the boat and would just load up the side the rider surfed. Worked like a charm.

Thanks for the input.

MalibuNation...I'm in Central Ontario. I'm not sure what you're driving at...I became a paying member before I made my first post! Do you surf behind your 21 LSV? If so, what ballast do you use? Do you use the fixed or floating wedge?

Ya I would be interested to know people's surf settings. I still need to perfect my settings. I only use stock ballast, fill the right tank and the center tank, plus put my floating wedge down, as well as position everyone on the right side of the boat. I guess I should add some weight to the front of the boat to help lengthen the wake. I have an 08 VLX.

MalibuNation

Thanks for the input.

MalibuNation...I'm in Central Ontario. I'm not sure what you're driving at...I became a paying member before I made my first post! Do you surf behind your 21 LSV? If so, what ballast do you use? Do you use the fixed or floating wedge?

No surfing ... just wakeboarding ... I have stock center ballast and manual wedge - gives me a decent wake for boarding.

I will look for some video of either myself or one of my pals behind my 03' surfing with just the wedge. We usually would have about 6 people in the boat and would just load up the side the rider surfed. Worked like a charm.

Can't embed from facebook, but this is the vid of which you speak...

http://www.facebook.com/v/1193295425521

wow, look at that water, THAT was a good day.

EDIT: to the OP, remember, this is behind a 23LSV, not the 21.

Edited by shawndoggy

You will not be disappointed.....just purchased an '02 Sunscape LSV w/ swoop tower, and had dealer install ballast as is didn't come with any. Originally was looking for an '02-'04 SSLXI as a friend has one and it is a fantastic all round boat.....however decided that the layout of the V-drive was better with small kids. Thought that the ski wake might suffer a bit being a V-Drive, but no disappointments....it was worth the 28 hours round trip to drive to Idaho from Calgary to get it. Talking with the dealer in Idaho, they have requested that Malibu bring back the SV23 diamond hull setup and Malibu won't do it - given that this set-up is known among 'Bu owners as a great all round boat, am surprised that they don't acknowledge it, but guess that's how they get you to spend $70K on a VTX.

Had 750lbs of ballast added on each side in the rear and 400 in the middle......first ride, we didn't use the wedge, second time we did, and the wake was better. Under either scenario you could ride without the rope.

I have some video of skiing and surfing on my BB, so could send if you wanted.

do

1 - Very close to that of a VTX, I have skiied both back to back. The 21LSV is, as malibunation said, one of the best known crossover boats untill possibly the new VTX's. Its no response, but we even ski our 21LSV in the course quite often. Very, very good ski wake for a V-Drive.

2- Great surfing. We put a 750 in the locker and a 750 under the passenger seats if we dont have enough people. 6-8 friends + wedge = great surfing!

3 - None that I'm aware of. Some people had issues with wedges falling off. I think most of the problematic ones have fallen off by now, the others seem to be holding good.

4 - YES! Consider mine. 2002 21LSV, Illusion tower, wedge, fat sacks, GPS perfect pass, and a rockin sound system. 280 hours. http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25874-2002-malibu-21lsv-illusion-x-tower-rockin-wetsounds-system-monsoon-wedge-ballast-pp-sg-loaded-280hrs/page__p__378802__hl__surf__fromsearch__1entry378802

ski.JPG

board.jpg

q%20surf.jpg