Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cost of a loaded 2006 VLX

peterski

Am looking to order a loaded 2006 VLX and price (before taxes, freight, dealer prep) is around $62K. Engine upgrade to the 340HP Monsoon, Blade tower, custom extreme trailer, custom cover, bimini, high end stereo package, power wedge, and most all other smaller (hot water shower, heater, cleats, etc) options as well. I realize there are regional pricing differences but was wondering if anyone has ordered a similar boat and what they paid. Base with trailer started at $52K but 10% taken off (as "boat show" price) so true starting based before adding options is $47K (including trailer). How much additional negotiating power do I have? Should I focus on getting the "freight and dealer prep" fee ($2K)taken out? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know how much your dealer will take off, but when I was at the boat show last year 10% was the 'discount' I was offered as well. I ended up getting 15% off in the end and my 20 hour tune up thrown in. Make sure you double check the 'extra' items pricing because they can pad the numbers if they want to.

I strongly suggest you keep your negotiations friendly because the purchase is only the very beginning of your new 'marriage'.

If your going to surf, get the SS down turns.

If your spending a lot on your stereo, you may want to delete that from your order and go aftermarket.

I would suggest getting the extended bimini and get the Galvalum (sp?) trailer. It will hold up better.

Post pics!

Edited by Greg_S

WakeGirl and Slider just got their '06 VLX and I think they will both urge you to consider the HammerHead upgrade over the Monsoon.

Having ridden on their boat last weekend at Shasta I can attest to the performance of the HH: it's awesome. Plus, there is NO break-in period so you can get right to the having fun part.

You might want to PM WakeGirl and ask whether your pricing seems like it's in the ballpark. Pricing is a sensitive issue and only one component of your dealer relationship. As Greg said, it's good to get off to a good start and there may be some creative ways to structure the deal to make it work well for both of you!

Without going into details, if you can get them to take 10% off of that price, I'd say that would be fair for all involved. Also, you may want to consider not getting the factory stereo & having a shop do it (or DIY). You'll get much better gear for the same money.

If you can justify the expense, the HH is great motor. Many people can't stomach the cost though so that comes down to how much you like power (after driving both an '05 with the Monsoon & the '06 with the Hammerhead, there's no comparison & I couldn't go back). Make sure you get the forward ballast, that boat needs it.

We got our 06 VLX last month and I agree with Wakegirl that the 10% is fair. That's about what we ended up getting off it too. We cut corners with the radio (didn't opt for the top package and will instead upgrade ourselves),no power wedge which was pretty expensive and for that much money I can reach through the platform myself and move it, and (unfortunately) no heater/shower. Those corners we cut allowed us to move out of the Vride and into the VLX which I'm pretty glad we did. Because price was a big issue for us we ended up with the Monsoon 340. I have had nine people in the boat and it still pulled just fine so if you can't swing the extra money for the hammerhead, it will still work great. I must say though that I'm a bit jealous of those with the hammerhead and have made it a point NOT to drive one with it because I'm sure that would make the jealousy much worse. I've heard a lot about that hammerhead! And I couldn't agree more with Wakegirl about that bow ballast tank. It's a MUST for the VLX.

Am looking to order a loaded 2006 VLX and price (before taxes, freight, dealer prep) is around $62K.

Wow!!! Shocking.gif That is a lot to spend on something that gets used 6 months out of the year. I can't believe how expensive boats are getting! Just out of curiosity, how is everyone paying for their boats? Cash? Financing? If so how long?

Am looking to order a loaded 2006 VLX and price (before taxes, freight, dealer prep) is around $62K.

Wow!!! Shocking.gif That is a lot to spend on something that gets used 6 months out of the year. I can't believe how expensive boats are getting! Just out of curiosity, how is everyone paying for their boats? Cash? Financing? If so how long?

I agree with how much they cost now. It seems to me if you're going to pay that much for a boat these days, pay the extra for the quality of a Malibu. The extras people are getting on their boats now are also adding a lot more to the cost of the boat as well.

I paid $$$ for mine. Its nice not having a boat payment every month, especially during the winter when we don't ride.

Thanks everyone for the great insight...it will help a lot when working with my local dealer...totally agree with all that this will be the first exchange in a long-term relationship with the dealer and will keep that in mind as we move forward...

6 months out of the year? Man! I am glad I live in So Cal. I go all year. I have over 250 hrs since I got my Bu in Feb. You are right, it would be very painful for me to be making that boat payment every month if the Bu was sitting in the garage Mad.gif

BTW - financed. No other choice, and I had to have my baby Thumbup.gif