Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Drysuit seal care

kknudsen12

I just got a drysuit... O'Neill Boost. It has the latex seals but a neoprene neck seal. I got some 100% silicone to put on the seals, but I looked online and found somebody saying that's not recommended now. Does anyone know what is currently recommended as the correct way to care for the seals (both the latex and the neoprene)? Thanks-

I spray the seals with food grade silicone on a regular basis and keep the suits in bags between use.

I've had one suit for 10 years, another for 6, and another for 4. They are all in good condition with their original seals. The oldest one was a used demo suit when we bought it and it is showing its age now as the seals are getting somewhat brittle.

• 7 months later...

Anyone else with suggestions as I just bought a boost myself.

I spray the seals with food grade silicone on a regular basis and keep the suits in bags between use.

For long term storage, what's the best bet? Store it in one of those huge zip lock bags? Vacuum sealed bag?

100% silicone is recommended - some of the marine outfits call it "seal saver" but it's just 100% silicone.

the 303 will keep the UV rays from damaging the rubber/latex - personally I don't use it on my boost(s) but I do lather up some of the more exposed gear with it.

I hang my suits to dry after use - then move them to a closet in the house for periods on non-use. Additionally we keep a bottle of baby powder/talcum in the boat which helps slide the seals over the extremeties to minimize stress on the rubber - as you can imagine it doesn't work when everything is wet. Also - don't forget the the zipper wax.

we bought demo suits and we're going on 4 seasons without any issues

Anyone else with suggestions as I just bought a boost myself.

For long term storage, what's the best bet? Store it in one of those huge zip lock bags? Vacuum sealed bag?

I just spray the seals with silicone and then place them in some plastic tall kitchen trash bags. If I remember, I also get them out and spray the seals occasionally when they are not in use. I will also wax the zippers at the same time. This has worked well for me.

Thanks for the input guys.

This was an expensive purchase and I want this thing to last.

It might only get used once or twice a year.

What do you guys think about using 3M dry silicone lube?

Some info. here.

Actual specs. here.

I have this stuff on hand. I used to use it to lube felt seals in car window channels. It would make the windows slide up and down much faster. It doesn't leave a wet, drippy, mess. Kinda hard to describe.

What do you guys think about using 3M dry silicone lube?

Some info. here.

Actual specs. here.

I have this stuff on hand. I used to use it to lube felt seals in car window channels. It would make the windows slide up and down much faster. It doesn't leave a wet, drippy, mess. Kinda hard to describe.

the doc. referenced by your "actual specs. here" link indicates "Solvent: Petroleum Distillate".

i'm not going to use that on my drysuit.:no: