Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailering our new boat

abu-z

Hello to all! Newbie here.

We have just purchased a 2009 23LSV. When it was being delivered to us, I had asked for it to be trailered without the cover on. Our deck is tan so I did not want it getting scratched.

When the boat arrived, the driver had removed all of the interior cushions, cup holders, carpet saver etc. I realize they went a little overboard (excuse the pun) but it got me thinking.

For memorial day, I'd like to take the boat to a lake a few hours away and am now concerned about what all is required to travel on the interstate at highway speeds (or slightly above) :innocent:

I appreciate any input you could offer

If I'm getting this right you want to also trailer it without the cover to your lake a few hours away. Why are you so afraid of the cover being on when you trailer. I've trailered my boat for years w/out scratching it in any way. If it did it would just give me another excuse to spend more time with my BU waxing her :biggrin: I always do make sure the excess strap is tied up so it doesn't slap on the gel coat. Which over time can actually wear on it from what I understand. Good luck and just use the cover.

I trailered our previous boat w/o a cover for years and never had an issue with any of the items you mention. I would make sure to lock the window down and keep the wind block in place but other than that you won’t have a problem. I do prefer and do now travel w/ an appropriately designed cover for towing; it’s the best of both worlds. You can put things in the boat that would normally be susceptible to wind in and it helps to protect the interior from road grime and/or rain. I know someone that has a seat burned from a cigarette as well.

I trailered all three of my last boats covered and uncovered. Other than making sure the pass through window is closed and locked, I have never had to remove or do any special with any of the other boat parts. Obviously, you will want to take out or secure anything you have put in the boat that could blow out (i.e. towels, vests etc.) My last boat, a 2003 23 LSV, I generally towed covered. Although the tow cleats would rub and sometimes make black marks on the gel coat, the marks would come right out with a gentle wax. I figured the risks of having it uncovered (burns, road debris, bird crap etc.) were far outweighed by the minor inconvenience of buffing out a few black marks a few times a season. So long as your cover is designed for towing, tow with the cover. I am taking delivery of my 2010 23 LSV next week and I will tow it covered.

Edited by Roselaw1

I tow my boat around 5000 miles a year and have not used a cover - I haven't had any issues. I usually put the coolers and boards on the floor or in the lockers. I put the stuff that may blow away and usually a couple kids toys in the lockers. The most irritating thing about towing this much are the bugs that get stuck to the bimini cover and tower...

Edited by elc

Depends on the weather & what I have in the boat. But I tow covered all the time without any issues. I'd rather keep the coolers & gear in the boat, and the rain & road grime out.

I've seen some guys wrap their boat in Saran Wrap, then cover it. The idea being that the cover isn't really touching the boat around the rub rail.

If you tow uncovered do you install the wind block? I don't and have had the rear seat cushion float up a few times. Only at 70 plus trying not to get ran over on I-5. To me it seems like extra drag on the rig with the block in.

I've owned three boats. The current one is the only one I've ever towed

with a cover (Rankin). It towed just fine, but the cover did rub some of

the paint off of the windshield frame. No scratches to gel coat. If I

were to do it again, I'd put something over the windshield, like maybe some

of that split-tube foam plumbing insulation.

While towing without a cover, the only thing I really worry about is the

center rear cushion. I prefer to put a canvas bag carrying my anchor

on top of that particular cushion. If it were to get blown out of place, it

could fly out, and the corner cushions would then be loosened and susceptible.

Another caution while towing uncovered is the engine cover. On my v-drive

(3 piece, where the outside covers open from the inside edge, but the

center cover opens from front/leading edge), I make absolutely certain

that the locking pin is inserted and that the center cover cannot bounce

up. I've personally seen (previous boat) where the wind, and a slightly

bumpy road, resulted in that front edge of an unsecured sunpad/engine

cover rising enough that, in a fraction of a second, the wind flipped

it completely over, yanking the gas struts and rear hinge completely

off their mounts (If I hadn't caught a glimpse of it in my rear-view

mirror, I'm sure I'd have left the whole thing lying on the highway, but I

stopped and found it dangling by some torn vinyl. I was able to do the

repairs myself, but I haven't forgotten the lesson.).

Edited by srab

There are lots of threads on trailering with and without covers, so if you want more info there is lots here.

Here is what I have found -

2008 LSV and facory cover

With Cover - everything stays in and dry and does not blow. Safe when stopped at rest park or for meals.

My cover has straps that go around the trailer. A few of them will rub the side of the boat.

Two fixes for this --

* For ones right next to the boat, I put a pool noodle over them. Slice the noodle, slip it over.

I use a small velcro rope strap to hold the noodle on, and put the strap in a place where it won't rub.

* For the other straps that are close but do not rub, twist them once so that they don't become wind folds and vibrate next to the boat.

(This also works on bimini straps to keep them quiet.)

Without Cover - close the windshield. I don't put in the windscreen.

I do remove the rear center seat and pastic tray under it. They seem to want to blow and "stand up".

I don't think they will blow out, but feel better with them in the truck.

The advantage of without the cover is that it can be quicker to eave the lake, and, assuming no rain, the boat is dryed out when i get home.

The negative of without cover is that it usually seems to rain, and the boat interior can get dirty from all the dirt, exhaust and other crud.

We have trailered with cover off and cover on. I really prefer traveling with cover on, especially when going further than 1hr or so. I use the seran wrap around the rubrail for those longer trips.

We have trailered with cover off and cover on. I really prefer traveling with cover on, especially when going further than 1hr or so. I use the seran wrap around the rubrail for those longer trips.

Try pallet wrap from Home Depot. It is thicker and much easier to handle. I also use it to seal the cover around the tower.

I always have towed with the cover on, but it has always been with a custom fitted cover SECURELY fastened. Never had any issues. I do always get a chuckle out of guys towing boats with DIY covers ( or worse yet , tarps, ) And see the thing billowing out like a parachute.

If you tow uncovered do you install the wind block? I don't and have had the rear seat cushion float up a few times. Only at 70 plus trying not to get ran over on I-5. To me it seems like extra drag on the rig with the block in.

I also tow without the cover. I remove the rear/center cushion and stow it at the driver seat floorboard and that eliminates that issue. Also another good reason to tow without the cover is that it will allow your boat to dry out on your way home! :thumbup:

As Malibudude said, not only a cigarette, but I have read of boats going completely up in flames from that. In Washington State it is illegal to have an unsecured load, so if something blows out, it is obviously unsecured. If it injures someone (following you) it is a CRIMINAL offense. Most States are not like this, but it kind of illustrates the gravity of the risk. If I were to tow without a cover (I don't on the freeway with the Bu but did some with the I/O) then I make sure everything is secure/tied in, not just laying on the floor.

Since you have a nice, new 09 I suggest like many others to get an Evolution cover (made for towing). You will be very glad you did, especially the first time you drive though a rain storm on a dirty road. Obviously you won't have it for this weekend, just make sure everything is secure in there.

I have towed plenty of times with and without a cover in the past. When I got my current boat it came with a tow cover. It is easier and more convenient to tow with a cover if you are traveling far because you can safely stow things in your boat. On a long trek I was able to pretty much pack my boat up and leave the truck empty. The boat is your investment and though something most likely never will happen to your boat when trailering, the cover doesn't cost that much and will at least give you a little bit more piece of mind.

You would be surprised how dirty your boat gets towing without a cover, even on the cleanest looking roads. A "Good" cover will not rub when installed properly. If you want to get one of those "Good" covers I helped template, field test, and fine tune a cover fitted and made for towing with Cory at Evolution Covers.

Edited by 06vlx

Also, get some mud guards for your truck. Spin those tires a little bit and hear some rocks hit your boat and you will quickly want to choke the person next to you. Thats why I like having my brother ride shot gun, he has a bigger neck so it is more satisfying to choke him and prison time is less likely.

We have a cover for our boat that is custom fitted. We ordered it with the Axis. It is a towable cover but the lake is about a 5 mile drive so we never take it covered to the water. We are making a 3 hour trip in about a month and it will have the cover on and it will also be loaded down with everything inside the boat so the truck isnt packed. We made out own set of mud guards so that it wouldnt throw rocks and as much mud on the boat when towing in rain and rock chips from the road...It cost all of about 15 bucks to make. It doesnt look as pretty as the professional ones for $300 but I also have gas money instead of pretty mud flaps lol. We used a metal bar from a chain link fence, mud flaps cut and modified off a tractor trailer (went to a local yard and they were going to throw them away because the mount holes were ripped) and I made a U bolt to hook to the hitch...worked great, still on the truck now!

17244_486591890113_502405113_11010820_7035008_n.jpg

29524_10150178060675114_502405113_12148147_3147512_n.jpg

13321_10150108071615114_502405113_11243529_4389098_n.jpg

The last pic is hauling it home with the shrink wrap....ahh what an adreneline rush