Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Impeller replacement

Big Beaver Crew

Replaced my impeller on my 03 wakesetter. Used a impeller puller from Bakes that i got on sale for 38 bucks. This tool made the job a thousand times easier only took matter of minutes to remove. Other impeller had been replaced last season and looked ok but I just felt better replacing it. We use our boat alot. Just wanted to pass on something that may help. I know others use other cheaper methods but this was so simple even a caveman could have done it.

I did one last night too. On my neighbor's Vride, in between sets on the SUP. Used a pair of needle nose to get the old impeller out. Replaced it with a Globe from the group buy. :rockon:

:thankyou::werule:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Whats the trick to getting the new one back in? I replaced mine yesterday and it was a bear to get all the fins pointing the right way and slide it back into the pump. I ended up using a wire tie to hold them all tight and slid it half way in, cut the tie and pushed it the rest of the way...

I know there is a trick I'm missing.

Just cram it in there and bump start the engine, the fins should correct themselves.

WOW, there's 40 mins of my life I will never get back...

Thanks for the tip, next year will go way quicker.

Coat the impeller with whatever lube you used to help get the impeller out with. Not WD-40.

Most people use binding lube. I use baby shampoo as binding lube.

My Johnson impeller kit came with a small tube of glycerin to use for lube. Helped but is wasn't too easy. I was told by a mechanic at a Malibu dealership to use a rubber hammer to tap it in.. think I will get one next year. I would think any kind of water based lube would be ok... maybe KY Jelly!! Innocent.gif

My Johnson impeller kit came with a small tube of glycerin to use for lube. Helped but is wasn't too easy. I was told by a mechanic at a Malibu dealership to use a rubber hammer to tap it in.. think I will get one next year. I would think any kind of water based lube would be ok... maybe KY Jelly!! Innocent.gif

The Tingle works better than the Intense - well thats what I've heard.